Author Topic: $24 BILLION New NBA TV Deal (ESPN & TNT)  (Read 6596 times)

Re: $24 BILLION New NBA TV Deal (ESPN & TNT)
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 09:42:17 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Any one else feel player caps hurt the players way too much? Teams are made by the stars pretty much. And titles are only won by top ten players or hall of fame lock guys. Jordan was making 33 million in 1998 and highest current player only making 24 million. Last year Kobe did make 30 but on average some of the best players are making just  12% more than players at their salary ranking 12 years ago. Seems to me like the owners don't want to pay the best players their due and now we have role players making 9 million.
Contracts like Kobe's are now illegal under the CBA. A max contract is only a set amount of years and a set percentage of the cap at time of signing.

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 09:42:34 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If the owners are smart they open up negotiations on a new CBA almost immediately and give an extra 4% of the BRI to the players in exchange for an increase in the minimum age of players and also blood testing for HGH.

That cleans up all the loose ends. Players get paid way more, the owners get another year of scouting players while they play in college or abroad and the league gets ahead of the game with more stringent PED testing which would only be a good PR move for the league as a whole.

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 09:45:36 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
According to this article, ESPN is expected to let you stream their NBA games without a cable provider, which is huge for cord cutters like me who don't want to use illegal streams.

ESPN has made plenty of forays into streaming video, but services like WatchESPN typically require that you already have TV service. That partly defeats the point of viewing online, don't you think? However, you might not face that limitation for much longer. According to sources for the Wall Street Journal, the NBA has signed a pact with Disney (ESPN's parent) to launch a new streaming service that doesn't demand a cable or satellite subscription -- a big deal for ESPN, which still makes most of its money from paid TV.

Wow -- I feel like ESPN could be shooting themselves in the foot with that one.  One of the two primary reasons cable is so expensive is due to the fact that ESPN and other live sports networks can command so much money from cable providers, and gets placed on the most basic tiers of TV (the other reason is complete lack of competition in the industry -- but then, ESPN benefits from that too).

Until NFL and collage football offers the same thing, nothing for them to worry about.

And such agreements will begin to be negotiated as soon as ESPN launches their NBA online viewing product, if not sooner.  Why wouldn't college football, the NFL, and MLB want their product available for free online if someone is going to pay them billions for the rights to do so?

Because of the NFL ticket payday.

Not sure I understand your point here.  You mean NFL Sunday ticket?  Presumably ESPN is only showing NBA games online that they're showing on their network, so the NFL equivalent is putting Monday Night Football over the web for free.  I don't get the Sunday ticket package, but my understanding is that MNF isn't on that package anyway.

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2014, 09:47:44 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Any one else feel player caps hurt the players way too much? Teams are made by the stars pretty much. And titles are only won by top ten players or hall of fame lock guys. Jordan was making 33 million in 1998 and highest current player only making 24 million. Last year Kobe did make 30 but on average some of the best players are making just  12% more than players at their salary ranking 12 years ago. Seems to me like the owners don't want to pay the best players their due and now we have role players making 9 million.
Contracts like Kobe's are now illegal under the CBA. A max contract is only a set amount of years and a set percentage of the cap at time of signing.

Don't think "illegal" is the right word here.  Kobe could have signed for that much again last year if he could have found someone to pay him it.

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2014, 09:51:16 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
According to this article, ESPN is expected to let you stream their NBA games without a cable provider, which is huge for cord cutters like me who don't want to use illegal streams.

ESPN has made plenty of forays into streaming video, but services like WatchESPN typically require that you already have TV service. That partly defeats the point of viewing online, don't you think? However, you might not face that limitation for much longer. According to sources for the Wall Street Journal, the NBA has signed a pact with Disney (ESPN's parent) to launch a new streaming service that doesn't demand a cable or satellite subscription -- a big deal for ESPN, which still makes most of its money from paid TV.

Wow -- I feel like ESPN could be shooting themselves in the foot with that one.  One of the two primary reasons cable is so expensive is due to the fact that ESPN and other live sports networks can command so much money from cable providers, and gets placed on the most basic tiers of TV (the other reason is complete lack of competition in the industry -- but then, ESPN benefits from that too).

Until NFL and collage football offers the same thing, nothing for them to worry about.

And such agreements will begin to be negotiated as soon as ESPN launches their NBA online viewing product, if not sooner.  Why wouldn't college football, the NFL, and MLB want their product available for free online if someone is going to pay them billions for the rights to do so?

Because of the NFL ticket payday.

One thing about the NBA though, they've always seemed to be ahead of the other major sports when it came to adapting and evolving.

NBA TV launched in 1999
NHL Network launched in 2001 (but not in the US until 2007)
NFL Network launched in 2003
MLB Network launched in 2008

The NBA has been pushing the women's game since 1996

Of the major sports, the NBA had the first openly gay athlete play

You used to not be able to see any NFL or MLB clips on Youtube, only the NBA (and maybe NHL) let regular users upload and assemble their own clips/highlight reels.

Now this I can't verify, but I remember NBA.com being pushed hard when it first came out, I don't remember this happening with the other leagues.  (Though according to whois, NBA.com, MLB.com, and NHL.com were all registered in 1994, NFL.com not until 1996).

So I wouldn't be surprised if NBA was the first to adapt in this regard either, allowing, maybe even pushing their tv partners to stream without cable.  This is where the market is eventually headed anyway.  Plus the NBA has always had an uphill battle competing with the NFL, MLB, and college football, so it behooves them to be early adapters.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2014, 10:00:47 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If the owners are smart they open up negotiations on a new CBA almost immediately and give an extra 4% of the BRI to the players in exchange for an increase in the minimum age of players and also blood testing for HGH.

That cleans up all the loose ends. Players get paid way more, the owners get another year of scouting players while they play in college or abroad and the league gets ahead of the game with more stringent PED testing which would only be a good PR move for the league as a whole.
Not bad,
If I was an owner no to 4%, start at 1% increase. End at 4% max. And even though I ask for hgh and higher age limit I drop them if it saves me $.

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2014, 07:33:28 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Max contracts were always set up that way.  The reason Kobe's contract is so large is because he's entitled to a contract that starts at least as high as his old one left off (105% I believe) along with the usual raises.  I'm pretty sure that wasn't eliminated in the new CBA.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2014, 08:04:21 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Oh..... The inhumanity!  :'(
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2014, 08:47:53 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Max contracts were always set up that way.  The reason Kobe's contract is so large is because he's entitled to a contract that starts at least as high as his old one left off (105% I believe) along with the usual raises.  I'm pretty sure that wasn't eliminated in the new CBA.

Correct: same as Carmelo's. What they are is anachronistic, not illegal.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 05:09:52 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Does anybody know what will happen to League Pass when this deal goes through?  For instance, could we finally see every game in HD?  Could the local blackouts go away?  Will it disappear completely and ESPN will air every game instead?

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 05:17:22 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Does anybody know what will happen to League Pass when this deal goes through?  For instance, could we finally see every game in HD?  Could the local blackouts go away?  Will it disappear completely and ESPN will air every game instead?

They'll probably continue to jack the price up.   :P 

$200 this year.  The early bird was like $149 three or four years ago.  Talk about inflation.

Hopefully "Yes" on the HD thing. It's 2014 already and pretty absurd you can't get every sporting event in the Big 4 in HD.   I doubt local blackouts will go away. 

Almost definitively "no" on the ESPN question.  These teams have all sorts of deals with regional/local networks.  My guess is the contracts on several run well into the next decade.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2014, 05:25:01 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Growth is in the Internet, not in cable.

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2014, 05:27:19 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Correct: same as Carmelo's. What they are is anachronistic, not illegal.
Shows why voluntarily leaving money on the table early on can come back to haunt you.