Author Topic: If MIN decides to really rebuild  (Read 1573 times)

If MIN decides to really rebuild
« on: October 06, 2014, 01:08:15 AM »

Offline cletus1985

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 408
I could see a 3 team trade like this benefiting them and helping us

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kb423tl

We could throw in a couple draft picks ( low 1st or 2nd round)
and L.A. could give them a 2nd round pick

Clears their long term salary from the books and gives them short term veteran replacements to keep the young guys in check.

We get a legit center without giving up much of anything and L.A. gets some talent that they desperately need to appease Kobe. I think everyone wins if MIN is willing to go full rebuild and clear their books.

Re: If MIN decides to really rebuild
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 11:38:43 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Everyone wins if we're not factoring the Wolves into the equation.  Otherwise, that is a ridiculously terrible return for Minnesota.  Pekovic isn't a negative asset; he's a valuable, good player and worth FAR more than some expirings, a salary dump of Wallace's contract (which isn't even expiring), and some low first rounders or, even worse, just some second rounders.

You're not going to get "a legit center without giving much of anything" and the Lakers are certainly not going to dump Nash's contract for just the cost of a second round pick.

Just because Pekovic might not fit the rebuild doesn't suddenly mean he's a toxic player who must be dumped at any cost.  They're not trading the guy away for other teams' trash and dead weight.

Edit: as a matter of fact, on second thought, this trade is terrible for all of the teams save for Boston.  Why would the Lakers trade for three years of Kevin Martin when they have both Kobe and Nick Young on their roster?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 11:45:34 AM by Endless Paradise »

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 03:13:34 PM »

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
Trade aside, Pekovic isn't the rim protecting center that we need.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 03:45:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This idea that professional teams(I don't count the Sixers because they are being run by Bozos) trade valuable assets for next to nothing simply to open up playing time for young players is one of the more ridiculous notions I have seen on Celticsblog.

The Wolves aren't going to trade a proven commodity like Pekovic for nothing just to give Dieng minutes. The notion is absurd. They will continue to develop Dieng behind Pek until they are convinced that Dieng and Pek can't coexist on the team anymore and then, maybe, trade one away for assets that will improve the team in other areas.

Flip Saunders is not a stupid man. He's keeping both centers probably for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 03:46:06 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
more like how the Celtics and Lakers benefit from the Wolves :)

The Wolves' been rebuilding since 2007-2008 lol

Rebuilding makes sense if you try to become a contender
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 03:47:56 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
If you are MIN you are perpetually relegated to the 'not nearly there' status. When I feel miserable I think of MIN fans  ;D
Seriously now, that the Trade Machine accepts such trades as 'successful' demonstrates it is  useless. MIN picks up two of NBA's worst contracts and a useless player in exchange for a good SG paid less than he deserves and Pekovic...
Having said this, I think Ainge might go after a similar trade (giving up draft picks and/or an expiring contract for a proven player) in the future, although personally I feel (and hope) he will reserve such moves for 2015-16 season. Everything points to the direction that he has amassed this huge amount of draft picks in order to use them.
When combined with good scouting and coaching draft picks are the best way to build a strong team. Smart, Young and KO already make a very strong case that if we keep using our draft picks as well as in the last two years, in a couple of years we will be a real menace, and hopefully in 4-5 years we will be back to contender status big time.  ::)
So, no, I do not think we are going to give away draft picks this year, unless a really big opportunity arises.

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 04:03:00 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Do the Timberwolves know they are making this trade?

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 06:00:36 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Do the Timberwolves know they are making this trade?
;D TP