Author Topic: Have you ever spent way too much money for something that you had to have?  (Read 7185 times)

Re: Have you ever spent way too much money for something that you had to have?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2014, 11:03:41 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Just the wife.

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 11:42:18 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Hello, I am csfansine60s, and I'm an eBay-aholilc.

Mostly golf stuff that I don't need, but lots of other stuff too.

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 12:18:30 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Is there a similar card with the trio in their professional days? How much does that one cost?

There probably is, but it won't be a recent one. Jordan has an exclusive signing contract with Upper Deck, and UD lost their agreement with the NBA a few years back (so now they can't use NBA logos, hence the college uniforms). It all depends on what the seller wants, and it varies greatly from person to person, but you'd probably be looking at something at least priced at what Roy paid, if not priced higher.

Is Panani the only company currently making NBA licensed basketball cards?

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2014, 01:52:39 AM »

Offline AidaCelt

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
Just the wife.

Kind of like the gift that keeps on giving... but the opposite! The gift that keeps on taking
Expectations, Execution, No Excuses

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2014, 06:54:22 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Just the wife.

Bet that cost you more than Roy's card...

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2014, 07:11:05 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2014, 07:34:41 AM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
I spent waayyy too much money on Avery Bradley. Just had to keep him around though.
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2014, 07:56:45 AM »

Offline TBreezy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
My Wish list
  • Knives Sharpened
  • Guitars fixed / setup
  • Yahama C5 piano or equivalent
  • Moped (yup anybody want to start a moped gang)?
  • ~1970 Bronco (Restored)
  • Vacation Home
  • Hi-Fi

At some point this fall I will knock off the guitars and the knives.  And probably start investigating the piano (like can i get it in). Hifi seems attainable (but it is a complicated starting - and I don't really believe in entry-level, and upgrading as you go).  Bronco will never happen, I have nowhere to park it.  Vacation home may or may not come.

EDIT: outside of the knives (i suspect getting them sharpened is cheaper than new ones), I don't need any of this. 

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2014, 08:20:47 AM »

Offline Stizz44

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
budgeted $2,000 for a trip to Costa Rica and ended up going $1,500 over budget once I actually got down there.

??? ::) :-[ :-X :-X

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2014, 08:37:45 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
A stripper named Candie.

jk

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2014, 10:04:06 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Celtics season tickets. 

Mike

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2014, 10:53:20 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Just the wife.

My wife says that about me (due to my student loans.)

Relatedly: Grad school.

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2014, 11:30:02 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
1953 Seeburg Jukebox

I sold it when I closed my record store.  It was a beauty.

That's awesome, Redz.

:o :o :o

Wow...

Two things on my want list. A jukebox similar to this. And an original arcade of the original Donkey Kong.

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2014, 11:34:38 AM »

Offline Diehard2001

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
Just the wife.

Those are expensive .

and forever will you be in debt. no bank or service will every free you. get on your knees and pray to the vag

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2014, 04:28:01 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
My wife and I did the full 7 game ECF playoff series between the Celtics and Heat in 2012. We'd missed the playoffs in 2008 and 2010.
So we (umm I) decided we'd follow them once they'd beaten Atlanta in the first round.
 I'll note that for work, we live in Australia. (I'm Australian but my wife is from Hopkinton, MA.). So yeah we flew from Oz to the USA.
We watched the end of the Philly series at the Garden and that was a great build up, we sat in the 5th row opposite the Philly bench.

So we then flew to Miami, watched the games, flew back to Boston, then flew back to Miami>Boston>Miami.
It was one of the best things I've ever done. It was expensive, and we knew we'd pay heavy $$$ for tickets, but for me to get the time off work, and watch KG, Ray, Pierce, Rondo +Doc all play for the glory together one last time was my justification. The tickets ended up being much cheaper than I thought they'd be, still super expensive but not ridiculous/crazy like in some nightmare.

Best thing was that my wife (who likes basketball and the Celtics) and I will never forget it. Lazing on the beach during the day, good Miami food- and then the tickets we managed to get- wow.

We sat in the 2nd row for a few of the games in Miami. Couldn't get closer than the 5th row for the Celtics games but it was much easier to get amazing seats in Miami. We got all the tickets on stubhub from corporate ticket holders and they were all much less than you'd expect- I'm talking 2nd row (behind courtside) for game 5 tied 2-2 in Miami for the Eastern Conference finals for $1200 each. The 'face' value of these tickets were over $2K each and we had gotten them for almost half that. woohoo.

We had Flo Rida one seat in front of us and Dan Marino to our left in Miami and there were barely any Celtics fans- we were being torn apart by smug Heat fans in the first two games- we came so close in game 2 and the feeling was there that we could bring it back to Miami tied up for game 5.

Every time I go to a playoff game somewhere else I always get reminded how good the Garden is.
Miami fans were hopeless. Late to the game, late to return from the quarter, didn't know who certain players were on their own team etc. Just a lot of suits who buy tickets for the playoffs to take customers- I mean nothing wrong with that but it's a shame so many real basketball fans miss out on experiences like that.

Although losing the series hurt a little more after coming so close, we'd gotten to watch the series from start to finish. I just hope that before we die, we get an opportunity to watch another one or two great Celtics team deep in the playoffs from start to finish.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.