Author Topic: Danny Ainge on Toucher and Rich  (Read 3890 times)

Danny Ainge on Toucher and Rich
« on: October 02, 2014, 11:42:21 AM »

Offline IlCapitano

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
Ainge On T&R: ‘I Don’t Really Consider Us Rebuilding'

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/10/02/celtics-ainge-on-tr-i-dont-consider-us-rebuilding/

BOSTON (CBS) — From everything we see on paper, the Boston Celtics are in for another rebuilding year.

They’re expected to be in the bottom of the NBA barrel again this season, competing for a high draft pick rather than another title.

But while some would call Boston’s current state a rebuilding stage, president of basketball operations Danny Ainge doesn’t see things that way.

“I don’t really consider us rebuilding. We’re building a championship,” Ainge told 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Toucher & Rich during his weekly call into the show on Thursday morning. “We’re in that process. We have good, young players that have bright futures and I’m really excited about watching this team.”

Interesting parts where he says Rondo and he talked about which players they would both want in Boston and the one where he says Rondo will do everything in his power to be ready for opening night although on media day he said they will be cautious. This time he didn't dismiss it and maybe there is something in that speculation. That would be truly awesome.
Tommy Heinsohn:"Worst nightmare in the NBA is Rondo with a jump shot." B-)

Celtic Pride!

Re: Danny Ainge on Toucher and Rich
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 11:45:26 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yeah that would be awesome if RR was back in time for opening night or at least something close to it.

Don't forget he's also in a contract year which is a little extra motivator.

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 11:50:07 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Yeah that would be awesome if RR was back in time for opening night or at least something close to it.

From a contract year perspective, it makes no sense to rush it. Having a good year while healthy is vastly more important than rushing it and risking a re-injury, that would make his stock plummet.

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 12:19:18 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

From a contract year perspective, it makes no sense to rush it. Having a good year while healthy is vastly more important than rushing it and risking a re-injury, that would make his stock plummet.

Tp...exactly...bring him along slowly...and his stock plummeting hurts both his contract value not just for him personally, but for his asset worth to the team, in trade or in usage

Don't get this rushing back stuff.

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 12:24:26 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Exactly.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 12:24:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't get the distinction Ainge is making.  What is "rebuilding", if not tearing down a previous team and attempting to build toward a championship?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 12:32:55 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
I don't get the distinction Ainge is making.  What is "rebuilding", if not tearing down a previous team and attempting to build toward a championship?

It may just be semantics as in it just sounds better as fans hate to hear a team is rebuilding.  But I also think he may mean that they are done tearing it down and they are now in the building stage.  That the guys on this team, at least some of them, are the future.  He talked about having good young talent and about Rondo being part of the decision making.  Now, it's Ainge so he could trade the whole team tomorrow, but I think this is what he was getting at. 

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 12:35:27 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Chuckle.

Ainge clearly spent some off-season time with the marketing department.

"Building toward a championship" sounds a lot better than "blow out loud again."
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 12:43:09 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
only way I want Rondo starting on opening night is if he can go full speed, no limitations. none of this play this game and take 2 games off. play, don't play etc.

it does nothing for us. and in the mean time he could get injured again.

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 01:32:03 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Maybe he thinks of the "tearing down" phase as rebuilding. E.g., trading Pierce and Garnett was a "rebuilding" move because it made us worse in the short run.

Now we are "building," meaning that all moves from here on out will improve the team even in the short run.

Just my guess.

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 02:09:05 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

One sells more season ticket packages.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 02:29:49 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

Well the word "rebuilding" isn't good for ticket sales.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 03:12:09 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Maybe he thinks of the "tearing down" phase as rebuilding. E.g., trading Pierce and Garnett was a "rebuilding" move because it made us worse in the short run.

Now we are "building," meaning that all moves from here on out will improve the team even in the short run.

Just my guess.

sounds like the best possible explanation.

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 09:02:19 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

I think he sees this current squad as having a good shot for the 8 seed.  As in we already have a foundation and we just need to "improve" rather than "rebuild."

If you only spend one year out of the playoffs, I don't think that can technically be considered rebuilding (or at least I personally wouldn't).  That's closer to "reloading."

My guess is that's just his way of saying we're trying to make the playoff this year, rather than continuing to rack up consecutive lottery picks like a traditional "rebuild" (OKC, etc.)
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 10:05:55 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
To me, this is the most interesting thing he said. Obviously Ainge would keep Rondo for the right price, why wouldn't he? However, the money part is key. Unless Rondo looks 100% recovered and capable of excelling without premier talent around him then he might want more than the C's are willing to offer.

"Rondo's a free agent this year. Everybody knows that," Ainge said. "He's really looking forward to a good year. We have to be a franchise that he wants to play with and continue to play for, and he has to be a good enough player that we want to pay a lot of money to as well. So we're going into this year and those two questions are out there. And there's going to be a lot of speculation, and a lot of talk under a microscope.

"But we both want each other. Rondo wants to stay in Boston, he wants to continue his career here. We want him and we hope it works out, and we both know there's risk involved in going forward after this year."