Author Topic: how about them wolves  (Read 7242 times)

how about them wolves
« on: October 01, 2014, 10:46:20 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
that team is stacked with young talent and has solid veteran core to boot.
after all the flack flip took i'd have to say he did alright this summer.

look at this mix of young talent and vets...
C: Dieng, Pekovic
PF: Bennett, Young
SF: Wiggins, Brewer
SG: LaVine, Martin
PG: Rubio, Williams

Seriously, i cant think of a team that is better positioned for the future than the Twolves.

nicely done Flip

Re: how about them wolves
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 10:49:12 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Would like to see them trade Pek.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 11:10:30 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Seriously, i cant think of a team that is better positioned for the future than the Twolves.

nicely done Flip

Flip did well. We'll see how it plays out. Sad reality( my interpretation) though, OKC has KD and Westbrook......and Ibaka. If you keep them together and they're healthy, they'll rule the West for a while. That said, 86% percent of things that I've forecasted have turned out to be wrong. More predictable, ironically, is that something unpredictable will occur.

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 11:12:33 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
That said, 86% percent of things that I've forecasted have turned out to be wrong. More predictable, ironically, is that something unpredictable will occur.

One of my main arguments against tanking is that there is a decent chance that something unpredictable may happen that you can exploit if you don't go all-in on tanking.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 11:16:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
they won't be very good this upcoming season.  Wiggins, Lavine, Bennett will get outwit on the court. All three of these guys are considered only to have mediocre bbiq.  Good chance all three will just come off the bench

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 11:25:25 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 11:23:32 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
That said, 86% percent of things that I've forecasted have turned out to be wrong. More predictable, ironically, is that something unpredictable will occur.

One of my main arguments against tanking is that there is a decent chance that something unpredictable may happen that you can exploit if you don't go all-in on tanking.

Absolutely. "Odds" are overrated, especially when you weigh them too heavily over trying to be competitive and move forward. Odds are just odds. They have the potential to burn you massively. Just as real and poignant as Karl Towns' potential to be a piece of crap 7 footer.

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 11:26:42 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
they won't be very good next season.  Wiggins, Lavine, Bennett will get outwit on the court. All three of these guys are considered only to have mediocre bbiq.  Good chance all three will just come off the bench

Still, those guys have more value around the league than our young guys. They did a great job getting Pekovic and Dieng through the draft. Even with their deficiencies, they have value because they're big men. Smart is a PG and Olynyk and Sullinger are PFs. Young wings and centers with potential are worth so much more.

It's easy to say things won't work out because odds are they won't for any team stocked with young players. However, they've done well given the hand they've been dealt. That's really all you can ask for because so much of success in the NBA is dependent on the luck of the lottery.

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 11:37:46 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
they won't be very good next season.  Wiggins, Lavine, Bennett will get outwit on the court. All three of these guys are considered only to have mediocre bbiq.  Good chance all three will just come off the bench

Still, those guys have more value around the league than our young guys. They did a great job getting Pekovic and Dieng through the draft. Even with their deficiencies, they have value because they're big men. Smart is a PG and Olynyk and Sullinger are PFs. Young wings and centers with potential are worth so much more.

It's easy to say things won't work out because odds are they won't for any team stocked with young players. However, they've done well given the hand they've been dealt. That's really all you can ask for because so much of success in the NBA is dependent on the luck of the lottery.

The only player I would take over the Celtics young players is Andrew Wiggins. Everyone else on the Wolves is a tossup. The Wolves did a good job, but let's see if that leads to success.

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 12:09:16 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

nicely done Flip

There's no reason to be more excited over Deng than KO.  Bennett just had perhaps the worst rookie season of any #1 pick.  Wiggins has potential but seriously underperformed in college compared to what Durant and Carmello did.  Levine is, as was said, two years away from being two years away.  And Rubio is like a better version of Phil Pressey.

Now, Pekovic is a real NBA center, Young was a great pickup and the TWolves young players could certainly develop.  Flip did get lucky in how things lined up for Love, but they're still bound for another 2 to 3 year rebuilding process at best.

Mike

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 12:24:28 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

The only player I would take over the Celtics young players is Andrew Wiggins. Everyone else on the Wolves is a tossup. The Wolves did a good job, but let's see if that leads to success.

Even if you're right, my point was about their value around the league, not whether that value was justified or not. Not counting draft picks or vets, I feel that the Wolves have a more valuable collection of young assets than the Celtics do. A lot of that is because they managed to get Wiggins for Love, but it's also because they got Pekovic and Dieng with late picks (ohmigod Pekovic was taken 31st overall?).

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 12:26:29 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

Even if you're right, my point was about their value around the league, not whether that value was justified or not. Not counting draft picks or vets, I feel that the Wolves have a more valuable collection of young assets than the Celtics do. A lot of that is because they managed to get Wiggins for Love, but it's also because they got Pekovic and Dieng with late picks (ohmigod Pekovic was taken 31st overall?).

Eh, the only players with value is Wiggins and Pekovic. I think the Celtics will be fine, they have a group of talented young players who I'm beginning to feel that's being underrated.

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 01:44:25 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Eh, the only players with value is Wiggins and Pekovic.

This is laughably wrong.

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 02:14:07 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
Eh, the only players with value is Wiggins and Pekovic.

This is laughably wrong.

I forgot to add Rubio and young, but still I don't find the rest of the Wolves young talent to be particularly valuable.

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 02:16:58 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I made a comment in another thread about how good Milwaukee's roster looks and it got me to thinking about which rebuilding teams I'd want to swap rosters with. Honestly I'm not sure I'd swap rosters with the Wolves.

Sure Wiggins is a big potential guy, he could be the next Scottie Pippen. He could also be the next Brandon Roy. Or the next Michael Beasley. That's the thing about potential. I'm actually rooting for him. I think after all the hype settles down he'll be a very good NBA player. I'd stop short of calling him a superstar but that is just a hunch. I'd also note that many analysts have questions about which top-10 pick will end up being the best of this class. For all we know Smart will be a better pro than Wiggins.

Aside from Wiggins the rosters aren't all that much apart. Thad Young and Jeff Green are very similar, I argue the edge to Young. Martin and Wallace have similarly awful contracts. You might not know it but Sully has been every bit as good a player as Dieng has, I'd argue better in many respects (higher usage rate, playing against NBA starters, etc).

Rondo is certainly a better player than Rubio. Bradley and Brewer are very similar. We both have reclamation projects in Bennett and Turner, albeit Bennett is much younger. We both have young inexperienced wings in Young and Robinson. They have a couple of unfinished products in Muhammed and Lavine. We have unfinished bigs in Olynyk and Zeller.

We both have 2-3 expiring veteran deals. For us it's Bass, Thornton and Anthony. For them, Barea and Turiaf.

So really they have Pek. We don't have an equivalent talent to him. On the other hand, they don't have a war chest of draft picks.

I'll take the C's in this episode of NBA Rebuilders 1v1.

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 05:07:50 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sag off Rubio on offense as his jumper is suspect and post him up on defense and he is an easy mark all day.  I think one could abuse Bennett as well, as his shooting was very poor last year.