Author Topic: Bos/Det/GS  (Read 2088 times)

Bos/Det/GS
« on: October 01, 2014, 10:30:11 PM »

Offline Deezzyy

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
Boston out: Jeff Green, Marcus Thorton, James Young, Vitor Faverani, Brandon Bass, Jared Sullinger Picks: Nets 16 Clips 15 cavs 16, philly 2nd

Boston In: David Lee, Harrison Barnes, Josh Smith

Detroit out: Josh Smith, KCP
Detroit in: Jeff green, Marcus Thornton, James Young, philly 2nd Gs 2nd

Golden State out: David Lee, Harrison Barnes
Golden State in: Vitor Faverani, Brandon Bass, Jared Sullinger, Clips 15 Nets 16 Cavs 16

Boston 5:
Rondo
AB
Barnes
Smith
Lee

Re: Bos/Det/GS
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 10:45:48 PM »

Offline FreddieJ

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7
The package coming into Boston isn't even that positive in value, if positive at all. Just expirings should get that package for the most part

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 02:49:47 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
The package coming into Boston isn't even that positive in value, if positive at all. Just expirings should get that package for the most part

That is ridiculous, while I understand that Smith and Lee are both overpaid I'd argue that they're both still capable contributors. Barnes has significant value as it's possible he's just in the wrong situation and he's still very young.

A couple of things to note about this trade. First you listed KCP as leaving Detroit but failed to place him with either team. I have trouble assuming that he ends up in Boston with our glut of SGs and certainly the Warriors have their starting SG locked for the foreseeable future. So in my assessment of this trade I just left him out. Also Detroit really likes him.

So after adjusting for salary matches and the KCP omission here is what I'm working with:
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mwa6ohb

The second issue is that Golden State gets significantly worse. Lee, while overpaid, is a very productive player. Think the last 2 years of Pau Gasol. They move him for a downgrade at PF (to Bass or Sully) and then giving up Barnes too. They do pick up three 1st rounders in this deal which helps to whitewash the problems listed above. I personally think that is a little steep and I would only offer the LAC and CLE picks, keeping the 2016 BKN pick you listed. I'd say the Warriors only do this trade if they are punting on the year, maybe around the deadline if there is an injury. This gets them assets in salary relief and picks. Call me crazy but I'm pretty sure they aim to contend.

Detroit actually might make this trade. They Green/Smith swap has been mentioned on CB ad nauseam so that isn't a big surprise but getting an expiring deal and Young in addition to moving the albatross that is Smith's contract...that might be enough to seal the deal. It would also open up some room to resign Monroe next off season. I wouldn't include any picks along with Young. It would be either Young or the Philly 2nd rounders (which are valuable, contrary to what I've read recently).

This trade would clog up our salary sheet for the next 3 years. Smith's deal along with Lee, Wallace and Rondo's max deal means we basically use our exceptions and drafts picks each off-season and model the late-aught Atlanta Hawks going to the 2nd round and getting bounced by superstar squads.

I'd walk away from this trade for the following reason:

Wouldn't swap Lee for Sully during a rebuild (Sully is cheaper/younger, Lee is the opposite)
Smith has negative BBIQ (I really just don't want to watch him play basketball)
Our cap would be a disaster for the next 3 years (the tail end of Rondo's prime)
This looks like a desperation move to get competitive (moving four 1sts to acquire huge contracts is a move that Billy King makes, not Danny Ainge)

However this trade was very interesting. TP!

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 07:55:21 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I like this.

Getting those 3 guys would make the Celts a playoff team, no doubt.

TP to the OP.

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 07:55:52 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I don't share the attraction that many have to Smith and I am not really interested in Kevin Love light (Lee).  Barnes is interesting but he may not be any better than Turner for example.  I guess if you really like Smith than this is an OK trade but I don't see anything in it.

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 08:06:20 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I don't share the attraction that many have to Smith and I am not really interested in Kevin Love light (Lee).  Barnes is interesting but he may not be any better than Turner for example.  I guess if you really like Smith than this is an OK trade but I don't see anything in it.

I gotcha.

Save all those trade chips and try to get Durant next summer.

I am with ya!

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 08:25:59 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
horrible deal.  grossly overpaying for those 3 -- 2 of which are both PFs which would repeat the same problem Detroit is having with Smith right now.  Throw in the fact you've now brought in 2 overpaid players killing the cap flexibility for next year makes no sense. 

Barnes hasn't shown much yet -- not understanding the love some people have for this kid.   this leaves him, ET and Wallace as our SFs.  that's just going to kill this team.  Smith is no SF now matter how much he plays there for Detroit

just a brutal deal for the C's.  didn't address our need for a really top SG or C while shipping out a lot of our key trade pieces.  never mind the throwing away of so many draft picks for this mess

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 10:45:59 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Boston out: Jeff Green, Marcus Thorton, James Young, Vitor Faverani, Brandon Bass, Jared Sullinger Picks: Nets 16 Clips 15 cavs 16, philly 2nd

Golden State in: Vitor Faverani, Brandon Bass, Jared Sullinger, Clips 15 Nets 16 Cavs 16

Boston 5:
Rondo
AB
Barnes
Smith
Lee
Deezzyy, while I always love to read a trade proposal in which the Celtics are moving 10 players out of town (6 current ones and 4 future ones), I just don't want any part of David Lee. As boring as it may be, I think it makes the most sense to leave GS out of the deal and just construct a much smaller deal around Smith and Green with us adding a draft choice and an expiring contract.

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 12:19:04 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412

Boston 5:
Rondo
AB
Barnes
Smith
Lee
Doubt Warriors would go for this
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 12:28:43 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I am a big fan of getting Josh Smith, for a bunch of reasons (including increasing the chances that Rondo stays around) but this is too steep a price.

Smith at SF was a disaster, and his stock with his contract is pretty low. Detroit needs a small forward. Green and perhaps Bass (expiring) or Thornton.

I would've suggested Green and Wallace and a pick, but doubt Pistons go for that.

That would create even more of a logjam at PF, but am all for it.

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 12:52:45 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

I gotcha.

Save all those trade chips and try to get Durant next summer.

I am with ya!

I am not too worried about trading Fav, Thornton and to some extent Bass but this trade gives up;

Green
Young
Sullinger
3 First Round Picks
Second Round Pick

That is more than Minni got for Kevin Love, at least in quantity if not quality.  I am not sure Smith is any better than Green (I bet they would do that trade straight up if they could) and Sullinger may be better for this team than Lee.  So we are just throwing in 4 firsts (Young plus 3 future) on top of Green and Sullinger.  You must value Smith and Lee way more than I do.  Which is fine, you are not alone, I just don't see it the same.

Barnes is a nice young player with uncertain promise but we have a team full of nice young players with uncertain promise.  Barnes is just a lateral.  I would not mind having him but I can't see giving up first round picks for him.