Author Topic: Erick Murphy: Another KO?  (Read 4966 times)

Erick Murphy: Another KO?
« on: October 01, 2014, 10:00:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Anybody know more about Murphy?  He can obviously shoot the three and has shown good rebounding numbers during the SL.

Is EM another KO or poor man version or does he bring something else to the table?

What are his chances of making the team?

Re: Erick Murphy: Another KO?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 10:09:31 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
He's actually from southern RI. He went to Florida State, hig younger brother went to Duke (and transferred somewhere recently) to play basketball, and his youngest brother, Tomas, is a 6'9 sophomore in high school. (Brookelynn picks, anyone?) Their dad was chosen 31st overall in the 1984 NBA draft after leading BC to two Sweet Sixteens and one Elite Eight. Their mom played for the Finnish national team. Erick was always a little troubled, but he seems to have cleaned up his act. Kind of the stereotypical "white kid good shooter but lacking athleticism" type of thing. He was a bit of a jack-of-all-trades at FSU, but his best skill is his shooting. At this point, having not seen him regularly since he played in college, I'd say poor man's KO. His court vision and passing can't be close to Kelly, but he could be a good floor-spacer, and we could always use one of those.

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 10:14:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
He's actually from southern RI. He went to Florida State, hig younger brother went to Duke (and transferred somewhere recently) to play basketball, and his youngest brother, Tomas, is a 6'9 sophomore in high school. (Brookelynn picks, anyone?) Their dad was chosen 31st overall in the 1984 NBA draft after leading BC to two Sweet Sixteens and one Elite Eight. Their mom played for the Finnish national team. Erick was always a little troubled, but he seems to have cleaned up his act. Kind of the stereotypical "white kid good shooter but lacking athleticism" type of thing. He was a bit of a jack-of-all-trades at FSU, but his best skill is his shooting. At this point, having not seen him regularly since he played in college, I'd say poor man's KO. His court vision and passing can't be close to Kelly, but he could be a good floor-spacer, and we could always use one of those.

yeah true. Like a Steve Novak but stronger body

In emergency situations KO, Murphy, Young , Thornton, Smart  could be our "three pt" bombs away, need 10 points  in 2 minutes lineup.  Could end up working out

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 10:20:52 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
and best of all, he holds both american and finnish passports!  :D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 01:04:50 AM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
His game is more like Brandon Bass-lite, nothing like KO, except for the shooting. Doesn´t have any ballhandling skills, plays hard, a bruiser. Seems like a very serious dude.

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 01:28:44 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I don't see it. Maxed out at 5.5 rbs/game over a four-year college career. Did nothing last year in the NBA. I'm more intrigued by Dwight Powell.

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 01:45:29 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Doubt he makes it past training camp.

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 03:09:02 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
He's a classic stretch 4, but of the role player variety since he doesn't add rebounding like a Ryan Anderson, passing like KO etc.

If he's deadly enough from outside he could carve out a Matt Bonner type career. He did shoot 44% from deep for his college career which is nothing to sneeze at in a top program with a lot of attempts (UF not FSU if it matters)

I dunno if he'll make the team, but at 6'10" if he can avoid being a liability in other aspects and shoot 40%+ from deep he could be useful.

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 06:00:17 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Only one KO  :)

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 07:52:42 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Hän on hyvää koripalo iso-mies (ehkä).

Kiitos

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 08:27:15 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
good thing he does because he's "finished" with the C's ;)

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 08:42:31 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
He was great in 48 Hrs and Beverly Hills Cop.

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 08:55:21 AM »

Offline Rick Robeys Return

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
  • The bringer of DJ
I think up to three offers, over the 15 roster limit, to join the Red Claws can be made. Maybe he stays in Maine under our control? but i agree, Dwight Murphy is a more likely candidate....

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 09:03:18 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think up to three offers, over the 15 roster limit, to join the Red Claws can be made. Maybe he stays in Maine under our control? but i agree, Dwight Murphy is a more likely candidate....

Wait...there's also a Dwight Murphy on the team?

Who the hell are these people?

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 09:39:39 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
He is highly unlikely to make the team unless the Celtics are able to move at least one guaranteed contract to another team, and he probably needs them to move two contracts (although if they traded someone other than Powell, the Celtics could just eat Powell's contract if Murphy beat him out in camp).  His contract is currently $100k guaranteed, so the Celtics are paying him that regardless, and becomes $200k guaranteed on November 1st.

He's got a small chance, but roster space needs to be cleared for that chance to become meaningful.  I don't think the Celtics are eating two guaranteed contracts to keep Murphy, unless he's the best player in camp.