Author Topic: Young improved on D?  (Read 8992 times)

Young improved on D?
« on: October 01, 2014, 06:56:02 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Stevens was on the record praising Young for his lack of lapses D, which surprised me. He wouldn't say it if he didn't mean it. Basically assumed Young would be bad defensively, at least at first, based on scouting reports. If Young can be a non-liability defensively as a rookie my expectations for him will go way up... big difference between a 3&D guy and 3&no-D.

From http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/smart-young-showing-promise-defensive-end:
“I went through all of our scrimmage segments yesterday on film, anything that was live at all, I went through it in pretty good detail,” Stevens told reporters. “The most impressive thing about James was he never really crossed my radar as making mistakes defensively, which is pretty impressive for a young guy.”

“One of the things that I’ve seen with James is that James picks things up really quickly,” Stevens said. He later added, “The basketball plays come very easy to him. Some guys you have to talk through a 2-on-1. You don’t have to do that with James Young.”

No matter what, Young will likely start the year with the Red Claws. But if he develops into a plus defender over the course of the year, do you guys think he'll be start seeing significant minutes on the A team?

Re: Young improved on D?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 07:14:54 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
surprised but happy
if he can get the d down, bulk up a bit he could see pt for the c's late this season or next for sure
kid has a stroke…will the rest of his game follow and he'll turn into a len bias like sg/sg player??

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 07:19:30 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
surprised but happy
if he can get the d down, bulk up a bit he could see pt for the c's late this season or next for sure
kid has a stroke…will the rest of his game follow and he'll turn into a len bias like sg/sg player??

Len Bias comparison.. whaaaaa?

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 07:23:43 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
surprised but happy

I'll be happy with a rich man's Danny Green...3 and D guy.

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 07:25:06 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
surprised but happy

not a comparison, hold those horses  ;)
WILL the rest of his game follow and he'll turn (speculative) into a len bias LIKE sg/sf player

tall athletic, good offensive player who can play either spot
remember he's still young and his shooting stroke is NICE

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 07:53:03 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
surprised but happy

I'll be happy with a Danny Green period.

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 08:00:59 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
surprised but happy

I'll be happy with a Danny Green period.

He has way more upside than Green.

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 08:03:58 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He has tremendous arm length for his size which makes one appear a better defender, clogs up passing lanes and compensates some with reach.   All the tools are there, I am sure the young man heard raves about MS defense and team USA and said two can play that game and came into camp ready to play brimming with effort.   I detect a chip on his shoulder.

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 08:07:18 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I'm not surprised. I have been saying since we drafted him that there seems to be this horrible attitude and perspective in regards to JY on this site. Even calling him a future 3 and D player is being shortsighted....imo.

The dude can score...Period. And he can drive.

I just can't wait for Smart and Young to prove people wrong.

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
I'm not surprised. I have been saying since we drafted him that there seems to be this horrible attitude and perspective in regards to JY on this site. Even calling him a future 3 and D player is being shortsighted....imo.

I like Young and don't think saying he's a "3 and D" player is a negative. Sure he can score, but I strongly doubt he'll ever be someone you can consistently run offense through. At best he'll be a top end 3 and D guy/solid starter for a contending team and there is nothing wrong with that.

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 08:15:18 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
surprised but happy

not a comparison, hold those horses  ;)
WILL the rest of his game follow and he'll turn (speculative) into a len bias LIKE sg/sf player

tall athletic, good offensive player who can play either spot
remember he's still young and his shooting stroke is NICE

Bias was far more athletic than Young, though. Young has good athleticism, but he is far from elite in this category. Anyway, I know Young was considered a lotto pick before his college season, but I'll set my expectations at a Danny Green/James Posey and then go from there until he actually plays some NBA games. I think he has more potential than both, but I'd be OK if that's who he became. Hoping for more obviously, though. 

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 08:15:56 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Too bad he won't even get minutes with Rondo out.

Turner / Pressey / Smart
Bradley / Thornton / Smart
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 08:22:03 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
In a year Smart and Young will be better than Rondo and Bradley.
Ainge should have traded Rondo and let Bradley walk.

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 08:26:59 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
In a year Smart and Young will be better than Rondo and Bradley.
Ainge should have traded Rondo and let Bradley walk.

Traded Rondo for what, though? He's coming off an ACL surgery and a season where he showed nothing. Bradley is only 23 and by the time his contract runs out we will probably just start being a competitive team.

Also, Bias is closer to a Shawn Kemp type player -- just dominating opponents with athleticism during that phase of the NBA/high level basketball. Young could potentially develop into a Tayshon Prince type player with more on the offensive end to start with.

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 09:20:53 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

I like Young and don't think saying he's a "3 and D" player is a negative. Sure he can score, but I strongly doubt he'll ever be someone you can consistently run offense through. At best he'll be a top end 3 and D guy/solid starter for a contending team and there is nothing wrong with that.
I like your style Eddie 20. It seems we agree on more things than not, thats how I know your smart.TP for that.

I think James is going to grow in every part of his game over the next year, as well as physically. But if he is already turning heads then we may have a possible STUD on our hands.