Author Topic: Young improved on D?  (Read 9000 times)

Re: Young improved on D?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 09:22:27 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
In a year Smart and Young will be better than Rondo and Bradley.
Ainge should have traded Rondo and let Bradley walk.
I agree.TP

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 09:30:01 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
Len Bias???  ::)
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 09:44:52 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2014, 08:30:36 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Young may be the Paul Pierce of this draft. Pierce had love and hate from day one. A lot of people didn't think Pierce was on the level of a lot of the guys drafted ahead of him. Pierce improved and was killer for this team. An all time great top 150 player for sure. Young could do the same things as an over judged scorer who has all the tools to dominate games in the future. Just like Pierce did in the past.

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2014, 09:19:07 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Young may be the Paul Pierce of this draft. Pierce had love and hate from day one. A lot of people didn't think Pierce was on the level of a lot of the guys drafted ahead of him. Pierce improved and was killer for this team. An all time great top 150 player for sure. Young could do the same things as an over judged scorer who has all the tools to dominate games in the future. Just like Pierce did in the past.

Yes, I've drawn the comparison--and have been chastised for it on this board--already. Pierce was a skinny kid who showed the better shooting touch while everyone was paying more attention to the more outgoing 'Toine. I think it is possible that people are likewise sleeping on Mr. Young, while Mr. Smart draws all the attention. But Young is of course still very young (Pierce was two years older when he was drafted), and we haven't even seen Young play as much as a SL game against another team.

No, that doesn't mean I'm suggesting he'll be as good as Pierce, it's just that there is something of a parallel to the circumstances of perception and his coming into the league.

But I will go way out on a limb and project that Boston's next route to a championship will come through developing KO and JY into All-Stars. Heck, if they can both develop far enough and fast enough this year, they may be what it takes to convince Rondo to stay, and then Danny will still have plenty of assets to get a good defensive center. It'd still take a couple of years for them to get good enough, but this to me is the most likely way the C's can get back to the finals within three years.

I noticed that Danny was talking this week about developing their own players into a championship core as one of the possible paths to get back there. I think Danny and Wyc would rather grow a prime-age core this time than to catch stars on the downside as they did with Ray and KG. He's got the developmental coaching staff in place to make it happen, too.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 09:38:29 AM by clover »

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2014, 09:39:38 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2014, 10:05:12 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I don't remember that about PP at all. He was top 2-3 in most draft projections, was considered the most nba ready in the class and was a stud on the Celts from pretty much day 1.

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2014, 10:14:56 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I don't remember that about PP at all. He was top 2-3 in most draft projections, was considered the most nba ready in the class and was a stud on the Celts from pretty much day 1.

Yeah, that's sort of my recollection too.  I lived in a market without an NBA team and didn't follow the NBA all that much, but I remember being very excited that Pierce was drafted by the Celtics and was surprised he was still available.  Again, I wasn't as attuned to the NBA as I am now, but this concept of Pierce being seen as not good coming out of the draft is new to me.

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2014, 10:40:54 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Yep.  We were all thrilled that he dropped to us.

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2014, 10:45:36 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Top 2 or 3 that is wrong he was never consider as such at end of college season. Now we know he was top 2 or 3 out of that draft.

Kandi, Bibby, Raef, Tractor, Carter, Hughes, Dirk, Jamison, and Williams all went ahead of him.

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2014, 10:58:27 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Top 2 or 3 that is wrong he was never consider as such at end of college season. Now we know he was top 2 or 3 out of that draft.

Kandi, Bibby, Raef, Tractor, Carter, Hughes, Dirk, Jamison, and Williams all went ahead of him.

Maybe not top 2 or 3, but I was a huge college fan at the time, and that KU team led by Pierce and Lafrentz (and Jacque Vaughan) was great.  I also remember being confused when Kandiman went first, that Dean Smith told everyone Vince Carter wasn't ready for the NBA but Antawn Jamison was (and they were traded for each other on draft night), and thinking that Raef should have gone #1 overall.  I thought Pierce would be gone by 8, and he lasted a bit longer.  But in no way do I remember hearing anything about Pierce being no good, at least no more than any other draft pick - most any pick will have his detractors, and let's face it, a lot of picks fail.  Certainly it wasn't the primary narrative -- nor have I thought that was the narrative about Young (getting back to the analogy) other than he's a project who will take a little bit.  And in that time to develop is the inherent risk that he won't, but if he's forgotten about its because short- term expectations are low.

Of course with Pierce, he was expected to be more NBA ready, and so expectations were higher from the getgo -- again, I just think the Pierce-Young analogy breaks down on many levels.

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2014, 10:59:23 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
For the comparison of Young and Pierce, I think the big difference is that when drafted, Pierce was 21 years old and had played 3 seasons at Kansas.  Young is 18 and has one year at Kentucky.

Young is an upside risk pick, almost like picking a guy out of high school.  Pierce had a solid established resume but maybe the teams that passed on him thought he had less ceiling.

This just shows that there is luck and chance involved in drafting, maybe as much as 50% vs. science.  If Pierce had been taken earlier, we easily could have ended up with one of the busts of the draft.

As for Young, we will just have to wait and see.  I don't expect an 18 year old to do much his first year or two.  It is nice to hear he is picking up defensive philosophies and seems to understand how important it is.  That can be half the battle.

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2014, 11:13:31 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Maybe not top 2 or 3, but I was a huge college fan at the time, and that KU team led by Pierce and Lafrentz (and Jacque Vaughan) was great.  I also remember being confused when Kandiman went first, that Dean Smith told everyone Vince Carter wasn't ready for the NBA but Antawn Jamison was (and they were traded for each other on draft night), and thinking that Raef should have gone #1 overall.  I thought Pierce would be gone by 8, and he lasted a bit longer.  But in no way do I remember hearing anything about Pierce being no good, at least no more than any other draft pick - most any pick will have his detractors, and let's face it, a lot of picks fail.  Certainly it wasn't the primary narrative -- nor have I thought that was the narrative about Young (getting back to the analogy) other than he's a project who will take a little bit.  And in that time to develop is the inherent risk that he won't, but if he's forgotten about its because short- term expectations are low.

Of course with Pierce, he was expected to be more NBA ready, and so expectations were higher from the getgo -- again, I just think the Pierce-Young analogy breaks down on many levels.

Exactly though Pierce seemed great a lot of scouts weren't satisfied with his growth so supposedly that is why he slipped. White Chocolate and Kandi should have never been taken before Pierce. Dirk was a fast riser and euro so he jumped ahead on boards just a week or two before draft.
Pierce on many boards was behind Bibby, Jamison, Carter, Dirk, Raef, and Wells. On some boards people had Kandi, White Chocolate, Garrity and Harping ahead so they would have had Pierce go 12-15 range which is crazy.

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2014, 11:47:07 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Paul Pierce, in just about every mock draft there was when he was being drafted, was slotted #2 after Olowakandi. He was considered the preeminent all-around talent of that draft right up until draft night when he started slipping. Most speculated he was slipping because he fell flat on his face in Kansas' loss in the NCAA tourney that year. Not sure what Csfan1984 is talking about. Pierce was expected to go #2 that year, hence his anger over slipping to ten and the promise from him that he would make everyone regret not taking him.

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2014, 11:51:41 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I'm obviously not saying that he was drafted 2nd or 3rd. He was projected to go that high and slipped down to us. There were a lot of stories about his agent trying to persuade the teams ahead of us to pass on him so he'd end up getting drafted as low as he did. As I said, most of the mock drafts had him top 3. He was considered the most nba ready player in the draft.