Author Topic: Vote on Draft Lottery change could happen this year  (Read 1511 times)

Vote on Draft Lottery change could happen this year
« on: October 01, 2014, 06:05:15 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
http://www.si.com/nba/2014/10/01/nba-draft-lottery-reform?xid=nl_siextra

I like how the change would help us, since we won't be one of the worst. At least, I don't think we will be. Not surprised that the Sixers are opposed to the change. 

The NBA's proposed reform to the draft lottery has wide support among the league's owners, reports Grantland.com's Zach Lowe.

According to the report, the owners could vote on the proposal as soon as this season.

It was reported in July that the NBA submitted an official proposal to change the lottery system due to concerns over tanking.

Under the current system, the team with the worst record has a 25 percent chance of winning the No. 1 pick, with odds decreasing from there. Teams with the four best records in the lottery have a less than one percent chance of the No. 1 pick. NBA teams have commonly tanked by sitting their best players or using other methods over the course of the season to have a worse record and thus a better chance at obtaining the No. 1 pick.

The NBA has proposed a flattening of the odds, in which the four teams with the worst records in the lottery all have an 11 percent chance at the top pick, with odds gain decreasing from there. The team with the best record in the lottery, though, would have a two percent chance at the No. 1 pick, higher than the 0.5 percent chance in the current system.

According to Lowe, many NBA teams support the proposed changes because of opposition to the Philadelphia 76ers' multi-year tanking strategy.

The 76ers began a complete rebuild before last season, which saw them go 19-63 in an attempt to earn the No. 1 pick. (They received the No. 3 pick, which they used to take Kansas center Joel Embiid.) The team appears set up to have a similar season this year, again with the hope of receiving the top pick through the lottery.

Philadelphia reportedly opposes the lottery reform being instituted in time for the next draft, ostensibly because it would hurt the team's plan to tank.

In this summer's lottery, the Cleveland Cavaliers, who had the ninth-worst record in the lottery and thus a 1.7 percent chance at the No. 1 pick, won the lottery. The team used the No. 1 pick on Kansas forward Andrew Wiggins, who was then traded to the Minnesota Timberwolves as part of the deal for Kevin Love.

Re: Vote on Draft Lottery change could happen this year
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 06:21:56 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
The problem isn't the odds and who wins the lottery, it's that they only lottery off the top three picks.  Having the worst record doesn't come close to guaranteeing you the first pick but it does guarantee you at least the 4th pick.  which balances the risk/reward of tanking, especially when there is a deep draft.    If they raffled off all the picks then there would be no reason to change anything.  You would just have to teach teams to understand odds. 

And I agree with Cleveland, if they do make changes, they can't do it for next season, they have to give teams a warning.  It's not fair to suddenly make a change. 

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 06:45:52 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
And I agree with Cleveland, if they do make changes, they can't do it for next season, they have to give teams a warning.  It's not fair to suddenly make a change.

Philly is the team with the issue, not the Cavs. Others teams look down upon them with how blatantly obvious they've tanked. They've traded their better players and drafted 2 players (Embiid and Saric) that won't play this year.

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 07:42:59 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95

Philly is the team with the issue, not the Cavs. Others teams look down upon them with how blatantly obvious they've tanked. They've traded their better players and drafted 2 players (Embiid and Saric) that won't play this year.

That's right, brain fart.  I don't know why I wrote Cleveland.
 Philly didn't do anything against the rules.  I am not saying I support what they did but they played by the rules and it would be unfair to suddenly change them.  Again, changing the rules is fine but you have to give teams warning.  Give them a chance to adjust to the new rules. 

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 08:30:58 PM »

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25
i thought this proposal also had them draw for the first 6 picks? did they drop that or is it just not in the article?

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 08:36:54 PM »

Offline TheBig3

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 18

That's right, brain fart.  I don't know why I wrote Cleveland.
 Philly didn't do anything against the rules.  I am not saying I support what they did but they played by the rules and it would be unfair to suddenly change them.  Again, changing the rules is fine but you have to give teams warning.  Give them a chance to adjust to the new rules.

Not sure how Philly would adjust to the new rules? If they keep a few more of the players they traded they may not finish  in the bottom 4, so really there is no adjusting?