Author Topic: Possibility of reducing freethrow shots to only 1 shot to decrease game duration  (Read 11387 times)

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25
how about raising the team foul limit? make it the 6th foul that goes to free throws and you cut a few trips to the line a game out and speed things up.

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Getting back to the initial idea presented in this post, I like the idea of a single 2-point free throw, because I've always thought it unfair to make a guy hit two shots to get the same number of points as the one regular shot would've gotten him had he made it. This is especially true in the case of easy shots such as layups; as a player, I'd be thinking, "Wait, I just had a chance at an easy shot that would've gotten me 2 points, but now I have to hit two shots—from 15 feet away—to get those same 2 points?!"

Having one 2-point foul shot might also cut down on the hack-a-Shaq stuff, too.

But don't you think those 2 free throws are a lot easier to hit than a regular field goal?

Last year the league as a whole shot 48.8% from inside the 3 point line, but shot 75.6% from the free throw line.   Even just looking at the closest shots, the league average was 63.6% from 0-3 feet.  So I'm okay with making players take 2 free throws because they are usually so much easier to make than any other shot.

But with that being said, I'm not actually opposed to the one free throw being worth either 1, 2, or 3 points.  Take a terrible free throw shooter like Shaq at 50% and a great one like Ray Allen at 90%.  It doesn't really matter if they take 200 two point free throws or 400 one point free throws.  Shaq will still hit 50% and get 200 points over a season, and Ray Allen will hit 90% and get 360 points over a season.  Sure it will change certain individual, late game scenarios slightly, but on the the whole I don't think it's a terrible idea.  It's something I'm at least open to.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
But with that being said, I'm not actually opposed to the one free throw being worth either 1, 2, or 3 points.  Take a terrible free throw shooter like Shaq at 50% and a great one like Ray Allen at 90%.  It doesn't really matter if they take 200 two point free throws or 400 one point free throws.  Shaq will still hit 50% and get 200 points over a season, and Ray Allen will hit 90% and get 360 points over a season.  Sure it will change certain individual, late game scenarios slightly, but on the the whole I don't think it's a terrible idea.  It's something I'm at least open to.
Some players have very different free throw splits on the first, second, and third free throws.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I have the internet to occupy me during periods of non-action.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Some players have very different free throw splits on the first, second, and third free throws.

I was actually thinking about this as I was typing up my previous post, but have no clue where I could get that stat breakdown, other than manually going through game logs.  Any good sources?

Though I don't know if "some players" having different splits should matter as much as the league wide, or even team splits. If a handful of players shoot X% better or worse on the 2nd free throw, I don't think it would matter to me for this discussion, but if the league as a whole or certain teams shoots X% better or worse on the 2nd free throw, now I'm interested.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 02:29:57 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
It is also worth noting (estimates not reported) that players perform substantially (3-4%) better on the second shot than the first even when the first was missed, indicating that even seasoned professionals benefit from a warm-up shot.
That's a quote from a post on Reddit citing a paper by Zheng Cao. (same paper is referenced below in Kevin's article)

Also you can look here for an example of this:
http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/4/3/5575820/analyzing-rajon-rondos-struggles-from-the-free-throw-line-how-can-he-nba-improve-percentage-advanced

Given that the play by play data is out there I'm sure someone has written the script to scrape the data together, but I don't know if its publically available.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Take away a full timeout from each team. There are just too many timeouts. Granted that's less commercials and less revenue.

Stop calling all the stupid fouls they call.

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
terrible idea, just call less fouls.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Give each team one more time out each half but get rid of half time.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
how about raising the team foul limit? make it the 6th foul that goes to free throws and you cut a few trips to the line a game out and speed things up.

That would be punishing good defense.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
it would be really unfair

If a team is down by 3 at the end of the game, the defending team can simply foul a 3 point shooter , and only give up 1 free throw.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
it would be really unfair

If a team is down by 3 at the end of the game, the defending team can simply foul a 3 point shooter , and only give up 1 free throw.
But a free throw worth 3 points. 
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline AidaCelt

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
I read the 1st page here and couldn't be bothered after that because it seemed everybody hated the proposal (which I do too).

How about they go back to the old international system. In the act of shooting is still 2 shots (or 3 depending on the shot being taken); however, when it is a foul not in the act of shooting but over the quarter foul limit, it's a 1 on 1 free throw. So they get 1 free throw, if they make it, they then get a 2nd. If not, play continues. With the poor free throw shooting in basketball these days, this would reduce 3-4 free throws per game I would think.
Expectations, Execution, No Excuses