Author Topic: KJ McDaniels agrees to 1-year rookie deal  (Read 1690 times)

KJ McDaniels agrees to 1-year rookie deal
« on: October 01, 2014, 01:26:19 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Interesting move.  He was 32nd overall, and the Sixers appear to have been offering 2 guaranteed years at the minimum in exchange for non-guaranteed years at the end of the deal, very much like the contracts Morey has been handing out.  Instead of getting stuck playing for the minimum for 4 years, he and his agent are gambling that he'll show his value in year one and command more on the free agent market.  Given how much teams are willing to spend to acquire a 2nd round draft pick, I think he's right.

Glad to see a player and agent willing to say no to the minimum contracts with limited guarantee good 2nd rounders are routinely offered.  It should also be noted, that since McDaniels is making the minimum on a 1-year rookie deal, his agent gets no commission on this contract.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/philadelphia-s-k-j--mcdaniels-takes-bold-approach-to-rookie-deal-143327281.html

He's a player to keep an eye on, since he'll be a restricted free agent next summer.

Re: KJ McDaniels agrees to 1-year rookie deal
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 01:52:57 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
he has a lot to prove but with a team like that, he has all the opportunity in the world to compete for playing time, even starting role time. I say this is a smart move, low risk, high reward move

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 02:02:31 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think this could backfire on the Sixers.  this is a kid that had first round talent that slipped to them.  If I was Philly, I'd have locked him in for at least of couple of years before letting him get to RFA

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 05:48:42 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Yes!!!  Maybe we can trade for him, then.  He was a guy I wanted, and without any shot blockers to speak of on our team, he could be a tremendous, albeit not a traditional, "rim protector." ::)  The guy has a lot of potential, and, honestly, I'd rather have him and Smart than Bradley and Smart, but we are where we are.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 06:08:41 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 06:33:42 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Yes!!!  Maybe we can trade for him, then.  He was a guy I wanted, and without any shot blockers to speak of on our team, he could be a tremendous, albeit not a traditional, "rim protector." ::)  The guy has a lot of potential, and, honestly, I'd rather have him and Smart than Bradley and Smart, but we are where we are.

Seems like someone to target next year in free agency if he has a solid year.  No reason to trade for him earlier, since if he does have a good year, he gets expensive quickly, and then he's a free agent we risk losing.