Author Topic: celtics = spurs-lite?  (Read 3305 times)

celtics = spurs-lite?
« on: September 30, 2014, 11:00:40 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
yes i'm repeating the same outrageous claim that i made a few months ago (http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=72909.0).

Brad's got my back this time though  ;D
http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/celtics-expect-play-pace-and-space
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Re: celtics = spurs-lite?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 11:04:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
maybe extra lite

Stevens hopefully can make things work. He also can't please everybody.  He needs to bench anyone who messes up the system. That includes Green, that includes Rondo

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 11:29:13 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Its so vogue to reference the Spurs game plan. Masai Ujiri is committing pretty blatant plagiarism at this point. I'm sure Danny Ainge is taking notes. But at this point with the Celtics, trouping back basically the same terrible team from last year (now complete with early season Rondo injury!), it's more like New Coke than Diet Coke. Nobody wants to see it, nobody is really buying it, but everyone will give it a chance. And then hate it within a few short months.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 11:37:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Its so vogue to reference the Spurs game plan. Masai Ujiri is committing pretty blatant plagiarism at this point. I'm sure Danny Ainge is taking notes. But at this point with the Celtics, trouping back basically the same terrible team from last year (now complete with early season Rondo injury!), it's more like New Coke than Diet Coke. Nobody wants to see it, nobody is really buying it, but everyone will give it a chance. And then hate it within a few short months.

why is Ujiri committing plagiarism?

He is doing a great job with the raptors

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 11:38:13 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we are Spurs near beer.

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 11:55:25 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I think we are Spurs near beer.
NOTHING is as nasty as near beer, not even the celtics.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 11:58:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
i wouldn't be surprised if the spurs go to the finals or win another championship.

It's a great great team. Some great players and with a great coach.

I wonder again like many times i have before, what would of happened if we actually did get to draft Duncan.

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 11:58:15 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
No Duncan lite = no spurs lite

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 10:14:52 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

why is Ujiri committing plagiarism?

He is doing a great job with the raptors

I meant he's stressing continuity, development from within, and looking to non-traditional sources for many of his players. He wants to create an environment where the guys don't just play for themselves or for a team goal; they play for each other too. He doesn't have a 2nd unit that is make up of half the foreign legion, but he'll get there.

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 06:24:49 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46

I agree. 

This is why I still believe Greg Monroe will be a Celtic.  His shot is fair, his passing is superb and he runs the court very very well. 3rd in the Nation in transition points for a Center his last year in school.  He IS TD lite.  :)
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 06:33:06 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
My idea of Duncan lite would be someone who is almost as good on defense and a clear step down on offense, but with a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 09:24:57 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

I agree. 

This is why I still believe Greg Monroe will be a Celtic.  His shot is fair, his passing is superb and he runs the court very very well. 3rd in the Nation in transition points for a Center his last year in school.  He IS TD lite.  :)

I don't think it's fair to Monroe to make that comparison yet. Greg Monroe doesn't play defense, he can't shoot. He's an athlete that can finish around the rim and rebound well against mediocre centers and PFs. That's pretty much it.
Tyler Zeller with Greg Monroe's minutes will likely have similar numbers within 2 years and his plus/minus will quite possibly be better than Monroe after this season considering his much better effect on the defensive end.
 In Monroe's defense, he hasn't played with a decent passing PG yet and is like to him paired with a Rondo type.

Tim Duncan is an all time great next to Kevin Garnett, and it's because they donate the game on both ends with intangibles. They are complete players at their position and once in a generation kinda guys.

Greg Monroe is a very good role player and probably reduces our chances of winning a banner if we invest $15 million per year in him.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 09:52:36 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
I dont think the 15 million is as interesting to him as a system that he can thrive in is.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 10:04:09 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I agree. 

I don't think it's fair to Monroe to make that comparison yet. Greg Monroe doesn't play defense, he can't shoot. He's an athlete that can finish around the rim and rebound well against mediocre centers and PFs. That's pretty much it.
Tyler Zeller with Greg Monroe's minutes will likely have similar numbers within 2 years and his plus/minus will quite possibly be better than Monroe after this season considering his much better effect on the defensive end.
 In Monroe's defense, he hasn't played with a decent passing PG yet and is like to him paired with a Rondo type.

Tim Duncan is an all time great next to Kevin Garnett, and it's because they donate the game on both ends with intangibles. They are complete players at their position and once in a generation kinda guys.

Greg Monroe is a very good role player and probably reduces our chances of winning a banner if we invest $15 million per year in him.

I'll say this about Tyler Zeller; he's a player on a NBA team. You can't dispute that.

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 10:29:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I agree. 

I'll say this about Tyler Zeller; he's a player on a NBA team. You can't dispute that.

If it wasn't for the last offseason and some health reasons he was dealing with the cavs might of ended up not trading him after all.

He was considered the 2nd or 3rd best center out of that 2012 draft.  This is going to be a big year for him