Author Topic: AB probably won't play any mins at PG (and other notes from training camp)  (Read 8758 times)

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Jay King ?@ByJayKing  3m3 minutes ago
Stevens pretty much said Avery Bradley won't play any point guard this year. Sounds like Pressey, Smart, Turner competing for Rondo's mins.

A. Sherrod Blakely ?@SherrodbCSN  14m14 minutes ago
It's unlikely you'll see Avery Bradley at the point this yr. #Celtics HC B. Stevens focusing on Evan Turner, Marcus Smart and Phil Pressey.

Boston Celtics ?@celtics  19m19 minutes ago
Sounds like Jeff Green is acting as James Young's big brother thus far. Young says that he's been following Green's every move in Waltham.

Scott Souza ?@scott_souza  23m23 minutes ago
#Celtics rookie James Young: I look up to Jeff Green. I am going to spend the season following his every move.

Marc D'Amico ?@Marc_DAmico  30m30 minutes ago
Evan Turner (who played some PG today) says he's much more comfortable with the ball in his hands as opposed to catch-and-shoot situations.

Boston Celtics ?@celtics  34m34 minutes ago
Brad Stevens says that Jeff Green "is in great shape" and has "a different step about him" compared to this stage a year ago.

Scott Souza ?@scott_souza  34m34 minutes ago
#Celtics coach Brad Stevens: To Jeff Green's credit, he took it upon himself to improve strength. One of team's better conditioned players.

Scott Souza ?@scott_souza  32m32 minutes ago
#Celtics Brad Stevens: Jeff Green has different way about him this year. Has already tried to pull James Young aside for extra tutelage.

Scott Souza ?@scott_souza  36m36 minutes ago
#Celtics coach Brad Stevens: Told Jeff Green he's closer in age to me than James Young. He is someone that needs to be looked up to now.

Scott Souza ?@scott_souza  40m40 minutes ago
#Celtics coach Brad Stevens: Jared Sullinger in better shape than he was last year, and through last year, but can get better.

Scott Souza ?@scott_souza  43m43 minutes ago
#Celtics coach Brad Stevens: don't be surprised if, early in the season, you see Jeff Green or Gerald Wallace at power forward.

Jay King ?@ByJayKing  44m44 minutes ago
Stevens said he felt he was "too gradual" last year putting in sets. Going quicker this time around.

Jay King ?@ByJayKing  45m45 minutes ago
Stevens called Evan Turner, "notwithstanding Rondo," as good a pick and roll player as Celtics have.

Jay King ?@ByJayKing  52m52 minutes ago
Joel Anthony, Gerald Wallace and Vitor Faverani "didn't do all the things" in 1st practice, but did suit up. Rondo the only one fully out.

Re: AB probably won't play any mins at PG (and other notes from training camp)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 04:54:41 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
before people make comments about Green being a mentor to James Young and him being inconsistent and all

I would like to say it's very cool that Green is doing this. While he may be inconsistent, he is a good teammate. At least he is welcoming James Young into the team, and giving him some pointers.

As for Turner being point - not sure what to make of that but at least he is acknowledging his weakness and glad Stevens is letting him try the point

As for Smart - I think he WILL be competing for Rondo's minutes as he is gone but at the same time, I also see him playing at SG from time to time, so he won't completely lose out, whereas Pressey who can ONLY play point, has so much more to lose.

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 05:02:55 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Turner, Rondo, Smart

With those three guards Bradley shouldn't be on the ball much at all, though defensively I'm sure he'll move around.

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 05:04:38 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
If Turner can take care of the ball decently, I am kind of liking the idea of a situational (temp until Rondo gets back) starting lineup of:

PG Turner
SG AB
SF Green
PF Sully
C  Zellar

Depending on who we are playing, that could be fun.  Turner and AB probably cross match on D.  We get some size in the backcourt, and still get to bring Smart off the bench as a energy 6th man.

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 05:08:23 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Bradley better not be handling the ball this season. Recipe for disaster.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 05:19:03 PM »

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
I really haven't seen Turner play much at the 1...is he at least passable?

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 05:20:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't think Green mentoring James Young is about on-the-court stuff.  It might be about being a professional.  A nineteen-year-old is often not emotionally prepared to handle suddenly being a millionaire with a high-profile job.  If Jeff Green is putting James Young in a position to be less likely to be corrupted by the NBA lifestyle, I applaud him.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 05:22:22 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Scott Souza ?@scott_souza  43m43 minutes ago
#Celtics coach Brad Stevens: don't be surprised if, early in the season, you see Jeff Green or Gerald Wallace at power forward.

ummm we have bass, sully, ko, anthony as power forwards
did a trade happen we don't know about  ::)

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 05:26:14 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
If Turner can take care of the ball decently, I am kind of liking the idea of a situational (temp until Rondo gets back) starting lineup of:

PG Turner
SG AB
SF Green
PF Sully
C  Zellar

Depending on who we are playing, that could be fun.  Turner and AB probably cross match on D.  We get some size in the backcourt, and still get to bring Smart off the bench as a energy 6th man.
that is a very possible starting line up. i think the key will be turner himself and his play during camp. his experience will be a plus for him. but he will need to match or exceed smart's play to win the role i think.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 05:40:07 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
We also learned that CBS doesn't really know what 'notwithstanding' means.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 05:41:59 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
A. Sherrod Blakely @SherrodbCSN  ·  1h 1 hour ago
Even in drills, #Celtics rookies Marcus Smart and James Young are [dang] near inseparable. #Celticstalk

D'aww...James Young is like the baby of the team!

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 06:34:55 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
...sigh.

turner playing point....you have 2 pg's on your team. so let's play the sg there. ::)

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 06:35:55 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
also, i'm a little more discouraged at what i'm hearing about Sully.

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 06:39:40 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
...sigh.

turner playing point....you have 2 pg's on your team. so let's play the sg there. ::)

well the two that are left, pressey is undersized and overmatched against most teams, and Smart is a rookie that might be better developed by taking things slow. 

imo, pressey was pretty close to getting cut this year and isn't the answer.  if turner can take care of the ball and be effective, I don't know why they shouldn't consider him.  I personally like smart coming off the bench at first at least, less pressure, bigger impact against 2nd stingers...

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 06:45:25 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
Interesting article on Turner playing point for the Pacers.  Small sample size for sure, so who knows..

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/03/evan-turner-playing-point-guard-for-pacers/