Author Topic: AB probably won't play any mins at PG (and other notes from training camp)  (Read 8771 times)

Re: AB probably won't play any mins at PG (and other notes from training camp)
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2014, 07:22:41 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I like the move keeping AB off the point I think that will be the Cs plan for the future. Especially if that future is without Rondo. Smart is a point with just enough size to guard the 2. This will allow AB to be unleashed on apposing PGs. I really like playing Turner as a pg, that is the position that made him the 2nd pick in the draft.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2014, 07:29:46 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Interesting article on Turner playing point for the Pacers.  Small sample size for sure, so who knows..

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/03/evan-turner-playing-point-guard-for-pacers/

...and that article just made me less happy.

Why? Looks like the defensive impact was phenomenal, and his offensive contribution should improve with more time there in his team's system, but his OR is already well above Pressey's.

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2014, 08:31:00 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
AB shouldn't ever play point guard ......passing and ball control is awful .   His defense and being a crafty scorer should be his concentration of skills.  He isn't a vocal leader on court .  He doesn't have the correct skills of,the job .  Smart is natural for this position .

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2014, 09:55:46 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Interesting article on Turner playing point for the Pacers.  Small sample size for sure, so who knows..

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/03/evan-turner-playing-point-guard-for-pacers/

Why? Looks like the defensive impact was phenomenal, and his offensive contribution should improve with more time there in his team's system, but his OR is already well above Pressey's.

well, 1) we were told last yr. we wanted to run. turner won't do that. 2) that article said the D was better but the offense got worse.

with that said. I just absolutely can not stand playing players out of position, specifically when you have the players for that position. I understand the thought process as to why teams do this, but I tend to believe the advantage teams are looking for by doing this creates more problems than it solves.

unless turner playing PG makes us a top 5 D this season(which I don't think anyone believes he will) I don't think it's worth it. because i'm pretty sure we're going to continue to be bad offensively regardless of who is playing PG. but maybe a little worse with playing turner there because he's not a PG. so if playing Turner there doesn't give you a dramatic advantage on the D side, what's the point? aren't we creating 2 problems here instead of solving 1.

i'd rather play a PG at PG than a guy that can just play PG.

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2014, 10:48:38 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
In my rotation I don't have AB playing any PG. Rondo and Smart only with Pressey, Wallace, and maybe Turner being better options than AB if those two are injured.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2014, 11:04:22 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

well, 1) we were told last yr. we wanted to run. turner won't do that. 2) that article said the D was better but the offense got worse.

with that said. I just absolutely can not stand playing players out of position, specifically when you have the players for that position. I understand the thought process as to why teams do this, but I tend to believe the advantage teams are looking for by doing this creates more problems than it solves.

unless turner playing PG makes us a top 5 D this season(which I don't think anyone believes he will) I don't think it's worth it. because i'm pretty sure we're going to continue to be bad offensively regardless of who is playing PG. but maybe a little worse with playing turner there because he's not a PG. so if playing Turner there doesn't give you a dramatic advantage on the D side, what's the point? aren't we creating 2 problems here instead of solving 1.

i'd rather play a PG at PG than a guy that can just play PG.

I though coming out of college Turner was going to be at his best playing along side a SG/PG scoring type allowing him to handle the ball but defend the 2. I think this is the role the Cs will try him at with AB or Thorton playing the 2 next to him. I really like the odds of Turner thriving as a reclamation project with the Cs.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2014, 01:15:01 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think they should give Bradley time handling the ball and running the offense.  He will play primarily off the ball on offense but he is still really improving and I believe that he can develop into Dennis Johnson or Chauncy Billups type of PG or combo guard.  It may still be 2 years from now (when he will be what, 25) but I think Bradley still has a ton of ceiling.

I do not think they should play him to be focused on PG this season but I could see it in the future.  I know, the "Bradley sucks as a PG" replies are coming but his rookie year, he sucked as a player and look how far he has come from there.

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2014, 01:16:45 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
You can't be a combo guard if you can't bring the ball up easily under pressure.

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2014, 01:24:53 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I think they should give Bradley time handling the ball and running the offense.  He will play primarily off the ball on offense but he is still really improving and I believe that he can develop into Dennis Johnson or Chauncy Billups type of PG or combo guard.  It may still be 2 years from now (when he will be what, 25) but I think Bradley still has a ton of ceiling.

I do not think they should play him to be focused on PG this season but I could see it in the future.  I know, the "Bradley sucks as a PG" replies are coming but his rookie year, he sucked as a player and look how far he has come from there.

Chauncey Billups was a more capable passer from day 1 than Bradley has been at any point in his career.  Bradley's about on par with Bass as a passer.

He's just too far away from anything resembling PG abilities to be optimistic about meaningful growth in that particular area.  More reasonable to expect him to improve in the areas where he's shown some ability - mainly his jump-shot.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2014, 01:28:30 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

no.