Author Topic: Rondo - "Why Wouldn't I Want to Stay?"  (Read 5928 times)

Re: Rondo - "Why Wouldn't I Want to Stay?"
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 12:45:51 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Rondo has been clear and consistent from the start with two things.  One is he wants to stay in Boston, the other is he is looking forward to being a FA.  Those are actually contradictory desires.  I don't think he is lying per se but I think he fully intends to test the market, which if he really just wanted to stay in Boston, he would do more like Tony Parker and just stay.  I also think his perspective is going to change after suffering through a season on a bad team.  He also says it is not about money but if it was not about money, and he really just wanted to stay, he would have extended already.

This is all very reasonable for Rondo to do.  I don't think he is a bad guy, but I do think there is a high likelihood that he will not resign once he becomes a FA primarily because he will want to play for a better team or at least a team that will be good a lot sooner than the Celtics will be good.

Those are not at all contradictory desires.

If his goal is to stay in Boston for the longest amount of time he _has_ to reach free agency in order to sign a max-length (5year) contract via Bird Rights with Boston.  There is no other way for him to get that deal.

If he truly would like a "No Trade" clause (to ensure he stays in Boston) then, again, he _has_ to reach free agency because there is no other way add that clause except as a new contract as a Bird Rights FA.   That is the only way that clause can be put in a deal.

Exactly.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 01:50:20 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Rondo has been clear and consistent from the start with two things.  One is he wants to stay in Boston, the other is he is looking forward to being a FA.  Those are actually contradictory desires.  I don't think he is lying per se but I think he fully intends to test the market, which if he really just wanted to stay in Boston, he would do more like Tony Parker and just stay.  I also think his perspective is going to change after suffering through a season on a bad team.  He also says it is not about money but if it was not about money, and he really just wanted to stay, he would have extended already.

This is all very reasonable for Rondo to do.  I don't think he is a bad guy, but I do think there is a high likelihood that he will not resign once he becomes a FA primarily because he will want to play for a better team or at least a team that will be good a lot sooner than the Celtics will be good.

Those are not at all contradictory desires.

If his goal is to stay in Boston for the longest amount of time he _has_ to reach free agency in order to sign a max-length (5year) contract via Bird Rights with Boston.  There is no other way for him to get that deal.

If he truly would like a "No Trade" clause (to ensure he stays in Boston) then, again, he _has_ to reach free agency because there is no other way add that clause except as a new contract as a Bird Rights FA.   That is the only way that clause can be put in a deal.

Exactly.

Interesting. I learn something new on this blog everyday!. By the end of this year, that Roy guy will make me a CBA expert (sarcastically speaking)

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 01:58:19 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
The CBA's not actually that complicated, you just have to go into it with a completely blank slate. It's a little bit like learning a second language.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 02:49:30 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
The CBA's not actually that complicated, you just have to go into it with a completely blank slate. It's a little bit like learning a second language.

This^ (in a big way).

In particular, the way the CBA controls certain things means you have to be very careful with reading the wrong meanings out of the actions/inactions of players/GMs in regards to contracts.

Saying a player "doesn't want to extend" or "wants to reach free agency" does not at all mean he wants to leave a team.    In CBA terms, what it mainly means is that he wants to sign a new contract instead of extending his current one (whether with his current team or not is a separate issue).

But if you don't understand the CBA nuances, it is easy to just interpret such phrases as meaning "he wants to leave the team."   And that's what a lot of fans and media do.

Ditto for when a team decides "not to offer an extension".  It may mean they don't want to keep that player.  Or it may mean that they do, but with a new contract with new terms that cannot be reached with an extension.

The problem with the CBA right now is that it has some rather extreme and seemingly arbitrary differences in the terms that can be reached depending on whether it is a new contract or a contract extension and so on.   This can make it very confusing for fans who don't have the nerdy inclination to spend hours reading Larry Coon's fine NBA CBA faq:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 04:24:22 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
If we had a quality center , like Cousin s or Gasol .....then the improved young guys , Smart and Rondo would be a nice start to something.   He surely know s this.

We still need the quality BIG dude in the middle . :'(

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 05:13:15 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I actually think rondo is so blunt that if he didn't want to stay he'd say it or leave reporters with a massively sarcastic response

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 05:44:58 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We still need the quality BIG dude in the middle

And some shooters.