Author Topic: Rondo - "Why Wouldn't I Want to Stay?"  (Read 5927 times)

Rondo - "Why Wouldn't I Want to Stay?"
« on: September 30, 2014, 12:06:26 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Didn't see this posted...
A reporter asked Rajon Rondo on Monday if he wanted to remain with the Boston Celtics beyond this season. The reporter could barely finish his question before the point guard gave his answer.

“Yes,” Rondo told the throng at Celtics media day.

"The love I get is kind of overwhelming in Boston. Why wouldn’t I want to stay?”

Rondo also spoke highly of his relationship with Brad Stevens, saying he is “free” to do “whatever (he) want(s) to do” in the second-year head coach’s system. “He’s the most positive coach I’ve ever played for,” Rondo said. “When you’re playing for a guy who’s always smiling, always positive, you can do nothing but be happy.
Full article

:D

Re: Rondo - "Why Wouldn't I Want to Stay?"
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 12:15:52 AM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Well, I mean, ain't that a politician's answer? Rondo's not stupid. He understands it can't hurt to say the right thing. I actually think he's a lot more amiable and pragmatic than he's portrayed by the media. If Boston really wants him, they can offer him the most money. I'm not as frantic as some about his bolting and getting nothing for him.

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 12:19:49 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I fail to see why we should not take this at face value. I, for one, believe that rondo would prefer to be in Boston. Whether things work out that way is another matter.

Good for rondo.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 12:21:06 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
A reporter asked Rajon Rondo on Monday if he wanted to remain with the Boston Celtics beyond this season. The reporter could barely finish his question before the point guard gave his answer.

"The love I get is kind of overwhelming in Boston. Why wouldn’t I want to stay?”

Rondo also spoke highly of his relationship with Brad Stevens, saying he is “free” to do “whatever (he) want(s) to do” in the second-year head coach’s system. “He’s the most positive coach I’ve ever played for,” Rondo said. “When you’re playing for a guy who’s always smiling, always positive, you can do nothing but be happy.
Full article

If Rondo visited Celticsblog he may rethink about what he said.  ;)

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 12:22:18 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

Full article

Poor baby... ::)

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 12:30:57 AM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Full article

Aren't you the guy that cried because I pointed out Marcus Smart pushed a fan once? You're a little inconsistent with the bleeding heart shenanigans.

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 12:48:34 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Well, I mean, ain't that a politician's answer? Rondo's not stupid. He understands it can't hurt to say the right thing. I actually think he's a lot more amiable and pragmatic than he's portrayed by the media. If Boston really wants him, they can offer him the most money. I'm not as frantic as some about his bolting and getting nothing for him.
Yeah, he's not going to say anything negative obviously. But he does sound genuine about wanting  to stay in Boston barring something strange occurring.

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 03:20:08 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Does anyone remember any instance that he's smiled as much?
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 07:09:26 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

Full article

Aren't you the guy that cried because I pointed out Marcus Smart pushed a fan once? You're a little inconsistent with the bleeding heart shenanigans.

If I 'cried' which I have previously indicated I haven't, how would you know, given that I am sitting at a PC at home?  I'm hardly a 'bleeding heart' and I don't engage in any 'shenanigans' here, but I am quite enjoying your rather florid verbiage. 

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 08:26:31 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137

Full article

If I 'cried' which I have previously indicated I haven't, how would you know, given that I am sitting at a PC at home?  I'm hardly a 'bleeding heart' and I don't engage in any 'shenanigans' here, but I am quite enjoying your rather florid verbiage.

Pretty show he was using "Crying" as a figure of speech. Just Sayin...

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 10:54:45 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Full article

Haven't seen the part where he was talking about wanting a no-trade clause posted either.

I guess people are upset because that would eliminate over half of the threads started here.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 12:08:26 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Rondo has been clear and consistent from the start with two things.  One is he wants to stay in Boston, the other is he is looking forward to being a FA.  Those are actually contradictory desires.  I don't think he is lying per se but I think he fully intends to test the market, which if he really just wanted to stay in Boston, he would do more like Tony Parker and just stay.  I also think his perspective is going to change after suffering through a season on a bad team.  He also says it is not about money but if it was not about money, and he really just wanted to stay, he would have extended already.

This is all very reasonable for Rondo to do.  I don't think he is a bad guy, but I do think there is a high likelihood that he will not resign once he becomes a FA primarily because he will want to play for a better team or at least a team that will be good a lot sooner than the Celtics will be good.

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 12:28:48 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Full article

Haven't seen the part where he was talking about wanting a no-trade clause posted either.

I guess people are upset because that would eliminate over half of the threads started here.

MOST positive coach, wow, Doc Rivers would like to have a talk with you Rondo :D

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 12:38:20 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Rondo has been clear and consistent from the start with two things.  One is he wants to stay in Boston, the other is he is looking forward to being a FA.  Those are actually contradictory desires.  I don't think he is lying per se but I think he fully intends to test the market, which if he really just wanted to stay in Boston, he would do more like Tony Parker and just stay.  I also think his perspective is going to change after suffering through a season on a bad team.  He also says it is not about money but if it was not about money, and he really just wanted to stay, he would have extended already.

This is all very reasonable for Rondo to do.  I don't think he is a bad guy, but I do think there is a high likelihood that he will not resign once he becomes a FA primarily because he will want to play for a better team or at least a team that will be good a lot sooner than the Celtics will be good.

I don't think he's looking forward to being a free-agent as much as looking forward to the opportunity for a bigger contract which is impossible right now.

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 12:41:02 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Those are not at all contradictory desires.

If his goal is to stay in Boston for the longest amount of time he _has_ to reach free agency in order to sign a max-length (5year) contract via Bird Rights with Boston.  There is no other way for him to get that deal.

If he truly would like a "No Trade" clause (to ensure he stays in Boston) then, again, he _has_ to reach free agency because there is no other way add that clause except as a new contract as a Bird Rights FA.   That is the only way that clause can be put in a deal.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.