Author Topic: What would it take for us to acquire Marc Gasol?  (Read 27767 times)

Re: What would it take for us to acquire Marc Gasol?
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2014, 12:09:34 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I hate to rain on your parade here, but if Gasol goes anywhere next season it's likely to be the Knicks because of Phil and the triangle offense, for which he is PERFECTLY suited.  I'm sure that consulting with Pau would help to facilitate such a move.  Sorry, guys, but he's not coming to Boston.  No one is.  Sigh.  Have we learned nothing from history haha?

I haven't, please illustrate me what I've missed in history, I'd appreciate specifics.

Thanks, it'll be great help.

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2014, 12:30:04 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I hate to rain on your parade here, but if Gasol goes anywhere next season it's likely to be the Knicks because of Phil and the triangle offense, for which he is PERFECTLY suited.  I'm sure that consulting with Pau would help to facilitate such a move.  Sorry, guys, but he's not coming to Boston.  No one is.  Sigh.  Have we learned nothing from history haha?

I haven't, please illustrate me what I've missed in history, I'd appreciate specifics.

please educate me as well

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2014, 12:50:53 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Pretty sure he is talking about free agency (correct me if I'm wrong) in which case what we've learned from history is that the Celtics have never really signed a big named free agent since free agency began. I mean, when James Posey is arguably your best addition via free agency that's not saying much.

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2014, 12:57:15 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Pretty sure he is talking about free agency (correct me if I'm wrong) in which case what we've learned from history is that the Celtics have never really signed a big named free agent since free agency began. I mean, when James Posey is arguably your best addition via free agency that's not saying much.

Which is why I wanted specifics if possible... you know "Celtics have never really signed a big named free agent since free agency" is too generalized for me.

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2014, 01:02:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Which is why I wanted specifics if possible... you know "Celtics have never really signed a big named free agent since free agency" is too generalized for me.
there'll never be any specific cases provided though.  C's have never had the cap money to make a run at a top FA.  that's the small fact that jams up their argument but that won't stop some people from clinging to that belief.

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2014, 01:04:30 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

there'll never be any specific cases provided though.  C's have never had the cap money to make a run at a top FA.  that's the small fact that jams up their argument but that won't stop some people from clinging to that belief.

I just wanted to send them on a fool's errand.

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2014, 01:34:37 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

What more specifics are you looking for? There aren't any examples to provide because we've never signed a big name free agent... Regardless of if we've had cap space or worked out a sign and trade for a free agent.

James Posey? Dana Barros? Dominique Wilkins? Xavier MacDaniels? Pervis Ellison? Jermaine Oneal? Rasheed Wallace? Sam Cassell? Travis Knight? Evan Turner?

I don't really know what other specifics can be said here.

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2014, 02:40:02 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
After FIBA I would take a pass on Marc.  Rather have a chance at Towns or Okafor than him as they have more upside and probably longer careers left.

This.

While we do need a veteran and a center, I don't think gasol (at this stage in his career) is the answer. We have youth at both guards and forward positions, we just need a young center to fill it in. You think Philly would rather have Noah right now (while rebuilding) over Noel?

Yes.

You don't know Philly, then.

if Philly is in win-now mode, they will absolutely give up Noel for Noah in a heart beat, but I think they are going for the slow rebuild and hope they hit jackpot with Embiid. I do believe they will tank another season.

That being said, the Bulls are also in win-now mode, so they'll keep Noah over Noel

There's no "thinking" really necessary here; the Philly brain trust has been extremely open and public about their intentions to build something for the long-term and stressing patience.  They absolutely wouldn't trade for Noah.  They didn't even want to keep a guy like Thaddeus Young and he's only 26.  Noah would be even more useless for them.

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2014, 03:09:09 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

What more specifics are you looking for? There aren't any examples to provide because we've never signed a big name free agent... Regardless of if we've had cap space or worked out a sign and trade for a free agent.

James Posey? Dana Barros? Dominique Wilkins? Xavier MacDaniels? Pervis Ellison? Jermaine Oneal? Rasheed Wallace? Sam Cassell? Travis Knight? Evan Turner?

I don't really know what other specifics can be said here.

There's no specifics because we have never been in a situation to have cap space to offer in the first place, so the "no big free agent is coming to Boston because they don't want to play here" premise coupled with the argument of "no one has come to Boston" is a logical fallacy because we haven't had the means to acquire such a player in the first place.

Just as having the cap space and not landing the big player in that particular year doesn't equal a player not wanting to play in Boston, etc.

So yes, there's no specifics you can use as examples because there really hasn't been any circumstances from which to draw the types of conclusions that seem to be abundant without much thought to it.

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2014, 03:28:27 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yeah I would also like to experience at least a couple different offseasons where we actually have cap space to offer a max deal to a max free agent before jumping to the conclusion that "no one wants to come to Boston."

Though Boston may not be as attractive of a city as Miami, LA, NYC or Chicago, I also believe in the "money talks, bull s*** walks" theory.

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2014, 03:28:59 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Can't seem to figure out how to delete a double post.

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2014, 04:33:03 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
it would take a Time Machine....to go back and Draft him, instead of Gabe freaking Pruitt.

>:(

The goat... Gave Pruitt   ;D

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2014, 04:45:42 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
it would take a Time Machine....to go back and Draft him, instead of Gabe freaking Pruitt.

>:(

The goat... Gave Pruitt   ;D

we also missed Jordan

but can you imagine

Rondo/Ray/Paul Pierce/KG/ (Perk/Gasol/Jordan)

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2014, 05:04:00 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
What would it take? A miracle!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2014, 05:10:31 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Can't seem to figure out how to delete a double post.

It's quite easy. Just edit it with this:

"I MADE A BIG BOO BOO, DELETE DELETE DELETE!!!!"

And you should be set.