Author Topic: What would it take for us to acquire Marc Gasol?  (Read 27794 times)

Re: What would it take for us to acquire Marc Gasol?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 11:51:49 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Can we please not?

Most people here are convinced that Rondo is not a big enough star to lead Boston far, and most people here argue that adding guys like Josh Smith, Greg Monroe, Al Jefferson (etc) would not have been enough to make a difference.

Marc Gasol is really no better than those guys.  He's not an elite superstar that can transform you in to a contender right now, and he's not a young talented guy with upside who could potentially transform you in to a contender later.

His talent level (combined with his age and injury history) means that he is far more suitable for a serious contender (Spurs, Clippers, Thunder, Cavs, etc) who need a skilled All-Star calibre big man to help them win a title right now. 

If we got him here, we would see him waste the last 2 or so years of All-Star calibre play that he still has in him, only to fade into an injury plagued 'has-been' by the time our current crop of talent has developed.  Plus he'd want a max contract, which means that three years from now he will be getting paid way more money then his production would justify, while also hindering out ability to upgrade. 

He's a very good player, but I just don't think he fits this teams long term needs at all.

I'd be much happier with somebody like Greg Monroe, who can give you similar production to Gasol, but is young enough to develop along with the rest of the guys on the roster. 

DeAndre Jordan is another player that I think would work well on this team, for the same reason (plus he probably could be had for less than a Max contract) - however I Doc loves him and I don't think there is any asset on our team that he would give DA up in return for.   

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 11:59:26 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I hate to rain on your parade here, but if Gasol goes anywhere next season it's likely to be the Knicks because of Phil and the triangle offense, for which he is PERFECTLY suited.  I'm sure that consulting with Pau would help to facilitate such a move.  Sorry, guys, but he's not coming to Boston.  No one is.  Sigh.  Have we learned nothing from history haha?

With that attitude you'll never sign free agents.

I'm just trying to be realistic, especially with our track record ;D  Every time something like this is brought up, people get so excited about the possibility of signing someone, and then are understandably upset when things don't work out.  It's like Charlie Brown and the football ;D

Even when we signed Sheed, the big 3, Danny, and Wyc had to practically beg the guy to come here lol, and that's when we were contenders!  Sigh.  I'm all for that full-court approach, but since that rarely occurs, why get your hopes up?  Let's just enjoy our own players for now :)

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 12:05:40 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Can we please not?

Most people here are convinced that Rondo is not a big enough star to lead Boston far, and most people here argue that adding guys like Josh Smith, Greg Monroe, Al Jefferson (etc) would not have been enough to make a difference.

Marc Gasol is really no better than those guys.  He's not an elite superstar that can transform you in to a contender right now, and he's not a young talented guy with upside who could potentially transform you in to a contender later.

His talent level (combined with his age and injury history) means that he is far more suitable for a serious contender (Spurs, Clippers, Thunder, Cavs, etc) who need a skilled All-Star calibre big man to help them win a title right now. 

If we got him here, we would see him waste the last 2 or so years of All-Star calibre play that he still has in him, only to fade into an injury plagued 'has-been' by the time our current crop of talent has developed.  Plus he'd want a max contract, which means that three years from now he will be getting paid way more money then his production would justify, while also hindering out ability to upgrade. 

He's a very good player, but I just don't think he fits this teams long term needs at all.

I'd be much happier with somebody like Greg Monroe, who can give you similar production to Gasol, but is young enough to develop along with the rest of the guys on the roster. 

DeAndre Jordan is another player that I think would work well on this team, for the same reason (plus he probably could be had for less than a Max contract) - however I Doc loves him and I don't think there is any asset on our team that he would give DA up in return for.

Ooh, good one (I'm not being sarcastic, btw).  I didn't think of Cleveland for some reason.  Why bother trading for Hibbert when you could just sign him next year?  Yeah, I can definitely see that happening.  Lebron vs Phil - the showdown ::)

Also, I like Greg Monroe as well, but I think you're forgetting that Marc Gasol won the DPOY award but 2 years ago.  He's not like Pekovic ;D  Why do you think Memphis' defense has been so good, and how else would they have been able to make up for Z-Bo's defensive deficiencies?

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 12:20:07 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I hate to rain on your parade here, but if Gasol goes anywhere next season it's likely to be the Knicks because of Phil and the triangle offense, for which he is PERFECTLY suited.  I'm sure that consulting with Pau would help to facilitate such a move.  Sorry, guys, but he's not coming to Boston.  No one is.  Sigh.  Have we learned nothing from history haha?

I'm just trying to be realistic, especially with our track record ;D  Every time something like this is brought up, people get so excited about the possibility of signing someone, and then are understandably upset when things don't work out.  It's like Charlie Brown and the football ;D

Even when we signed Sheed, the big 3, Danny, and Wyc had to practically beg the guy to come here lol, and that's when we were contenders!  Sigh.  I'm all for that full-court approach, but since that rarely occurs, why get your hopes up?  Let's just enjoy our own players for now :)

When was the last time the Celtics had cap space to sign free agents?

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 01:37:25 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

You mean traditional cap space, right, as in using the x amount that you're under the cap to go out and sign someone, as opposed to using the mle, baa, and all of the other veteran's minimum contracts, because I honestly don't know.  I'm not sure that that's the point here, however, because teams like the Bulls, Heat, Lakers, and Knicks have all attracted premium free agents, whether they've had to use the mle or not.  Guys want to play there.  They don't want to play for the Celtics.  Why?  Your guess is as good as mine.  From where I sit, who wouldn't want to play for the most storied franchise in NBA history?  It really is mind-boggling, especially in the 21st century, when racism is no longer an issue for African American athletes in Boston (right, or am I wrong?), as opposed to what it was like for Bill Russell.  I know that that hung over the franchise for a long time, and probably undeservedly so, but now I just think that guys throw that in as another reason for not wanting to play here.  It's too, cold, wah! :'(  Are you kidding me?  How much money do you make, again?  I'm pretty sure that you could at least afford a coat.  Ugh.

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 01:45:16 AM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

You mean traditional cap space, right, as in using the x amount that you're under the cap to go out and sign someone, as opposed to using the mle, baa, and all of the other veteran's minimum contracts, because I honestly don't know.  I'm not sure that that's the point here, however, because teams like the Bulls, Heat, Lakers, and Knicks have all attracted premium free agents, whether they've had to use the mle or not.  Guys want to play there.  They don't want to play for the Celtics.  Why?  Your guess is as good as mine.  From where I sit, who wouldn't want to play for the most storied franchise in NBA history?  It really is mind-boggling, especially in the 21st century, when racism is no longer an issue for African American athletes in Boston (right, or am I wrong?), as opposed to what it was like for Bill Russell.  I know that that hung over the franchise for a long time, and probably undeservedly so, but now I just think that guys throw that in as another reason for not wanting to play here.  It's too, cold, wah! :'(  Are you kidding me?  How much money do you make, again?  I'm pretty sure that you could at least afford a coat.  Ugh.

I think that if Wade played for the Bucks, and they had the cap space to sign Lebron and Bosh, all the '10-'14 stuff would've happened with the Bucks. I think Lebron went back to Cleveland not to redeem some aspect of his life, but to play with Irving and KLove. I believe decisions tend to be a bit more complicated than good weather and bright lights. In fact, Lebron going back to the Cavs proves that.

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 07:46:48 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
The Celtics have nothing that Memphis would want. Even if so Gasol would not resign.

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2014, 08:06:12 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Rather have a chance at Towns or Okafor than him as they have more upside and probably longer careers left.

This is where my head is at.

Or we can draft one of those two guys next summer AND sign Gasol.

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2014, 08:22:58 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Rasheed was the most sought after free agent (close to that price range) in the league and he signed with the Celts. All teams do the same kind of recruiting the Celts did.

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2014, 08:40:53 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
After FIBA I would take a pass on Marc.  Rather have a chance at Towns or Okafor than him as they have more upside and probably longer careers left.

This.

While we do need a veteran and a center, I don't think gasol (at this stage in his career) is the answer. We have youth at both guards and forward positions, we just need a young center to fill it in. You think Philly would rather have Noah right now (while rebuilding) over Noel?
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2014, 08:52:27 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
After FIBA I would take a pass on Marc.  Rather have a chance at Towns or Okafor than him as they have more upside and probably longer careers left.

This.

While we do need a veteran and a center, I don't think gasol (at this stage in his career) is the answer. We have youth at both guards and forward positions, we just need a young center to fill it in. You think Philly would rather have Noah right now (while rebuilding) over Noel?

Yes.

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2014, 10:30:28 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

This.

Yes.

You don't know Philly, then.

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2014, 10:35:27 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I don't think the Celtics are a good trading partner for the Memphis Grizzlies. The Celtics best talent is at the PG (Rondo, Smart) and PF (Sully, Olynyk) positions but those are Memphis' strongest positions outside of Marc Gasol with Mike Conley (PG) and Zach Randolph (PF). So I think it will be easy for teams to better Boston's best offer for Marc Gasol since Boston doesn't have the right pieces to entice Memphis into trading Gasol.

The only chance I can imagine is if Memphis suddenly decided to blow up everything and trade Gasol and Z-Bo and/or M.Conley as well. Go back to 15-20 wins a year and build from the bottom floor up. Then Boston's youngsters + large number of future draft picks could be an attractive package ... but this seems hugely unlikely to me.

Free agency will be a better opportunity for Boston but Ainge will likely need to acquire another star before then to make Boston more attractive a destination to Marc Gasol than the other teams that will pursue Gasol. Rondo + new star + Marc Gasol as star talent with a bunch of talented young players & role players around them. That would be enticing. But finding that first trade will be the key to acquiring Marc Gasol (or any other top tier FAs) in free agency.

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2014, 10:42:49 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

This.

Yes.

if Philly is in win-now mode, they will absolutely give up Noel for Noah in a heart beat, but I think they are going for the slow rebuild and hope they hit jackpot with Embiid. I do believe they will tank another season.

That being said, the Bulls are also in win-now mode, so they'll keep Noah over Noel

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2014, 11:17:53 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

This.

Yes.

if Philly is in win-now mode, they will absolutely give up Noel for Noah in a heart beat, but I think they are going for the slow rebuild and hope they hit jackpot with Embiid. I do believe they will tank another season.

That being said, the Bulls are also in win-now mode, so they'll keep Noah over Noel

This furthers my point. We are not as bad as Philly but I doubt 2015 will be a win now season. We have 3 1st round picks coming in 2016 as well.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)