Author Topic: What would it take for us to acquire Marc Gasol?  (Read 27765 times)

What would it take for us to acquire Marc Gasol?
« on: September 29, 2014, 08:04:53 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Lets say hypothetically the Grizzlies under perform, and the Grizzlies aren't too sure if they should sign him for the max which he will most likely get from some teams. What would it take for Danny Ainge to snag him? How many draft picks/players do you think it would take?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: What would it take for us to acquire Marc Gasol?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 08:24:16 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
The Grizzlies would only move Gasol if he was injured again and they were struggling to win more than half their games again. Otherwise they are keeping him. Losing Gasol would plummet the Grizzlies back into the dark ages of small market lottery land. They do not want to go back there anytime soon.

If he is busted, i bet the Celtics could land him for a stack of first round picks. But if he is busted we dont want him. So i am not even thinking about Gasol unless he makes it to free agency next summer.

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Lets say hypothetically the Grizzlies under perform, and the Grizzlies aren't too sure if they should sign him for the max which he will most likely get from some teams. What would it take for Danny Ainge to snag him? How many draft picks/players do you think it would take?

???
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 08:44:14 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I hate to rain on your parade here, but if Gasol goes anywhere next season it's likely to be the Knicks because of Phil and the triangle offense, for which he is PERFECTLY suited.  I'm sure that consulting with Pau would help to facilitate such a move.  Sorry, guys, but he's not coming to Boston.  No one is.  Sigh.  Have we learned nothing from history haha? 

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 08:44:57 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

???

I mean my point is basically if the Grizzlies don't do too well, there is a possibility that the Grizzlies may move him. So most likely we could maybe pull off an off-season trade during free agency, or during the deadline through a sign/trade.

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 08:54:03 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I hate to rain on your parade here, but if Gasol goes anywhere next season it's likely to be the Knicks because of Phil and the triangle offense, for which he is PERFECTLY suited.  I'm sure that consulting with Pau would help to facilitate such a move.  Sorry, guys, but he's not coming to Boston.  No one is.  Sigh.  Have we learned nothing from history haha?

With that attitude you'll never sign free agents.

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 08:56:37 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Yawn.

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 09:03:48 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
After FIBA I would take a pass on Marc.  Rather have a chance at Towns or Okafor than him as they have more upside and probably longer careers left.

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 09:22:53 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

It's a good question.

If at the trade deadline, the Grizzlies don't think they'll be able to resign him, I would offer them our 2015 no 1 pick, 2016 Brooklyn pick, Olynyk, Jeff Green and Tyler Zeller contingent on being able to sign Gasol to an extension upon the trade.

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 10:10:03 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Rather have a chance at Towns or Okafor than him as they have more upside and probably longer careers left.

This is where my head is at.

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 11:05:35 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
it would take a Time Machine....to go back and Draft him, instead of Gabe freaking Pruitt.

>:(
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 11:09:19 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
IF memphis wanted to dump gasol, we certainly have enough picks and prospects to make it happen, if that's the return they want. but it's hard to envision a scenario where gasol wants to sign with boston more than with memphis. our young guys would have to make huge strides this year, to the point where gasol would think we'd be a true contender with him. and memphis probably would want a couple of those young guys in the trade anyways.
a more likely scenario is that, if this young team improves dramatically, we try to lure him here in the offseason with cap space, or via a sign-and-trade.
another possibility is that we trade for another star with a longer contract, which assures the c's of being decent for  a couple years, and that convinces gasol to come here, like with KG after we traded for judas.

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 11:35:35 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
The team isn't good enough to convince any player to stay with us long term. The only players who are available are rentals with their contracts close to expiring because otherwise why would they be available? The only option for the Celtics now is to deal for a guy signed long term that is young but available due to significant question marks (Gallinari, Sanders, those types). Or, they wait until they have cap space and sign a guy who is not one of the top free agents to an overpay deal.

There just aren't a lot of good options for the Celtics in the near future which is why the draft is their best bet. There is no magical Garnett trade out there and the current team doesn't even have a Paul Pierce in his prime yet.

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 11:37:09 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
The team isn't good enough to convince any player to stay with us long term. The only players who are available are rentals with their contracts close to expiring because otherwise why would they be available? The only option for the Celtics now is to deal for a guy signed long term that is young but available due to significant question marks (Gallinari, Sanders, those types). Or, they wait until they have cap space and sign a guy who is not one of the top free agents to an overpay deal.

There just aren't a lot of good options for the Celtics in the near future which is why the draft is their best bet. There is no magical Garnett trade out there and the current team doesn't even have a Paul Pierce in his prime yet.

They have Rondo and I'm not tanking this year.

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 11:47:50 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I realize that the premise of this hypothetical is 'If Memphis falls apart and is selling', but what I'd counter with is the Grizz are massively underrated as a team here. If while reading this your reaction is " No no no, stick to the hypothetical, idiot" I'd argue Memphis is actually a lot closer to the Spurs/Thunder/Clipps/Cavs than how they're perceived. They finished 35-17 to finish last year, a 60 win pace over a whole season. They have the size and D to match up with anyone. Randolph is their oldest core player, but his game is strength and nudging people around. I think he'll age well. I just think it's very unlikely that they'll break that team up this year, EVEN if Gasol gets hurt.