Author Topic: Celtics not trying hard enough to return to title contention?  (Read 2365 times)

Celtics not trying hard enough to return to title contention?
« on: September 29, 2014, 01:39:49 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
For those who think the Celtics aren't trying hard enough to return to title contention, I am curious to know what you think they should have done this past year, and what they should be doing right now to get there faster.

Right now the griping sounds like unfocused noise. Returning to title contention in the NBA takes a ton of luck, patience, and smart management by a team.

I understand it is frustrating to watch a 28 win team, especially on the heals of an excellent era under the big three and Doc Rivers. And perhaps that's all this is is frustration, from a fanbase spoiled by winning, and spoiled by the all time trade for Kevin Garnett 7 years ago. But, we are probably in for a lot more losing, especially if the Celtics lose Rondo and the opportunity for a quick rebuild by adding a veteran all star to this team.

I am satisfied with what the Celtics are doing. They have 10 draft picks in the next 2 years for crying out loud. Chances are one of those players is gonna be really nice. Plus they have additional picks coming the next 2 years after that. Significant cap room is just a season or 2 away for the first time ever (depending on Rondo). Marcus Smart, Jared Sullinger, and Avery Bradley have the talent to be 4th or 5th men on a contender someday.

Meanwhile the Celtics are letting the overpaid vets go when their contracts are up, and they are not making silly bandaid signings like they did in the past (Barros, Ellison, Knight, Scalabrine, ancient Wilkins, etc.)

They have the right coach in place for a team mostly made up of young 20-somethings.

The only move i can think of is trading Rondo. But what are we really going to get back for him right now when he is still damaged goods and playing the most well stocked position in the NBA? I think the right move is to see if his value can rise by the trade deadline, and all the while see if he really is a fit with this coach, roster, etc.

Go Celtics!

Re: Celtics not trying hard enough to return to title contention?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 01:45:34 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
Also i am satisfied with Ainge's very aggressive persuit of Kevin Love. Had Lebron not moved to Cleveland, the Celtics would probably be in the drivers seat to land Love either by a deadline trade or free agency next year. Love was very interested in Boston until the golden opportunity to play with the best basketball player in the world dramatically presented itself.

Ainge is looking to make the big move as soon as he can, but it takes an interested partner to make a deal. I am content to watch things continue to unfold. Until then I can't wait to see Marcus Smart play, see Sullinger play power forward with an improved body, and see if Rondo can recover to the all star he recently was.

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 02:14:10 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Also i am satisfied with Ainge's very aggressive persuit of Kevin Love. Had Lebron not moved to Cleveland, the Celtics would probably be in the drivers seat to land Love either by a deadline trade or free agency next year. Love was very interested in Boston until the golden opportunity to play with the best basketball player in the world dramatically presented itself.

Ainge is looking to make the big move as soon as he can, but it takes an interested partner to make a deal.(all low risk-highupside transactions and signings)I am content to watch things continue to unfold. Until then I can't wait to see Marcus Smart play, see Sullinger play power forward with an improved body, and see if Rondo can recover to the all star he recently was.

TP!   I definitely agree.  Every move Danny made this summer was neither detrimental nor slowed down the rebuilding process(all low risk-high upside transactions and signings). He didn't go for any temporary moves which weren't necessary for the long haul. Only thing we have done was obtain draft picks and acquire some young players who blossom with potential. The front office said there were a few trades on the table which they passed up. Seems clear if he going to rebuild , hes going to do it the right way.

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 02:22:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm satisfied with what Danny has done so far.  Other than the drafting of Fab Melo, everything else has been a sensible move. 

wholeheartedly agree that clearing vets that are role players while acquiring picks/young players is much better than the bandaid approach the organization had in the early to mid 90's and 2000's.

have yet to see a sensible option Danny had available that he didn't take.  Trading Rondo for peanuts as most trade suggestions in the forums are, is poor planning.  trying to get the worst record possible does not ensure the top pick.  Cleveland didn't tank and look how it worked out for them. 

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 02:35:26 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I almost thought I was coming in reading about danny's criticisms. I can say I am thoroughly surprised and enjoy reading the post. I would say majority of the people bashing the Celtics on not returning faster are spoiled. And I also don't agree with the 100% tanking theory.

I trust Danny and his judgement, and I absolutely do NOT want to see the Celtics tank another year especially if we are trying to keep Rondo. If we do decide to keep Rondo we should not waste his prime years like this.

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 04:08:06 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Like the draft. Smart and Young have potential.
Like Zeller and Turner pick ups both should be decent.
Dislike Bogans deal, was kind of forced.
Even on LeBron and Love stuff.

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 04:16:12 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I agree. DA has done a good job moving pieces so he can be aggressive the next two summers. It's funny to have people expect things to happen with in a year. The Love thing would have been luck if he could have pulled that off so quick. Stupid Lebron...

But he has some nice young talent, and some great picks to move if some one pops up. I mean if Durant after next year gets bounce early and say's he wants out, DA has some nice pieces to offer for the first time since KG. He's even going to have a nice roster in place if KD decides to bounce in 2016 to get his interest. Do I think that's going to happen? Not really, but DA now has capspace and players to get some deals done starting this trade deadline.

I'm also good for an other year of 25 ish wins to grab an other asset to either keep or trade. After next season I want to see some serious moves to start getting into the playoffs. But before next summer, there is no rush.

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 05:06:42 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
this rebuild might not involve a blockbuster trade. maybe it doesn't have to.

if the KG and Ray deals weren't possible, the Celts may have been forced to go the slow route and  build organically around Rondo, Al Jeff, Perkins, TA and added dudes like Joakim Noah, Jeff Green and Avery Bradley.

I'd love to see that team play now:

5. Noah / Perk
4. Al Jeff
3. Jeff (PP??)
2. Avery / TA
1. Rondo

If we go the slower, organic route, I'm confident we're already ahead of where we were in 2007. There are several nice players on the roster with upside on cheap deals and so many draft picks to come it would be a shame to package them all for anything less than the sure superstar.

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 06:20:30 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
I'm satisfied with most of what Ainge has done since ending the big three era. We're sitting on a boat load of draft picks, 30 million in expiring contracts, and just drafted two rookies with major upside. Not to mention we have a coach and a captain who already have impressive resumes and could be a big factor in luring free agents to Boston. 

While I admit these are trying times, I thank the lord everyday that I'm a Celtics fan  ;D

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 06:46:30 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Danny Ainge is the straw that stirs my drink.

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 08:12:13 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The only move I think that needs to be made is to find a home for Bass so the youth movement  can develop.

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 08:18:55 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
The only move I think that needs to be made is to find a home for Bass so the youth movement  can develop.

The trick is that most teams either dont want to pay an undersized backup power forward 6.5 million dollars, or they don't have the right package to send back to Boston for that big of a salary.

Bass is sticking around for the ret of the season unless some other team has a big man injury and gets desperate. I dont think he will interfere too much with the minutes of the young guys. If Zeller, Olynyk and especially Sully can't outplay Bass they don't deserve the minutes.

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 08:41:22 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
For those who think the Celtics aren't trying hard enough to return to title contention, I am curious to know what you think they should have done this past year, and what they should be doing right now to get there faster.

Right now the griping sounds like unfocused noise. Returning to title contention in the NBA takes a ton of luck, patience, and smart management by a team.

I understand it is frustrating to watch a 28 win team, especially on the heals of an excellent era under the big three and Doc Rivers. And perhaps that's all this is is frustration, from a fanbase spoiled by winning, and spoiled by the all time trade for Kevin Garnett 7 years ago. But, we are probably in for a lot more losing, especially if the Celtics lose Rondo and the opportunity for a quick rebuild by adding a veteran all star to this team.

I am satisfied with what the Celtics are doing. They have 10 draft picks in the next 2 years for crying out loud. Chances are one of those players is gonna be really nice. Plus they have additional picks coming the next 2 years after that. Significant cap room is just a season or 2 away for the first time ever (depending on Rondo). Marcus Smart, Jared Sullinger, and Avery Bradley have the talent to be 4th or 5th men on a contender someday.

Meanwhile the Celtics are letting the overpaid vets go when their contracts are up, and they are not making silly bandaid signings like they did in the past (Barros, Ellison, Knight, Scalabrine, ancient Wilkins, etc.)

They have the right coach in place for a team mostly made up of young 20-somethings.

The only move i can think of is trading Rondo. But what are we really going to get back for him right now when he is still damaged goods and playing the most well stocked position in the NBA? I think the right move is to see if his value can rise by the trade deadline, and all the while see if he really is a fit with this coach, roster, etc.

Go Celtics!

Perfectly put.  The acquisitions of Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett were a once-in-a-lifetime move that we will likely never see again (around here, anyway).  It also doesn't hurt to have had McHale as the GM in Minnesota, although, iirc, he didn't want to trade KG but was forced to by Glen Taylor.

As for the rest, I think that Ainge could have done a much better job in rebuilding on the fly in addition to what he's done since 2013, but there's nothing we can do about that now.  He just doesn't seem to grasp the idea of sustained excellence by continually adding good/great young players to a veteran core to prolong their success, opting for a build-it-up, tear-it-down, build-it-up, tear-it-down philosophy, which is quite frustrating, but this is going to take a long time.  We all know that he will trade Rondo at some point, so I really have no idea where he's going, tbh. 

Personally, I'd feel a lot better about our club moving forward if we had the Greek Freak instead of KO, somehow parted ways with Jeff Green, and moved Sully for Julius Randle (sorry, but I want Sullinger off the team bc of his domestic violence incident.  That's not something that you should ever forget, gloss over, or look past, but that's just me), but we are where we are. 

I mean, come on, guys, who wouldn't want a core of Rondo, Bradley, Smart, Young, Giannis, and Randle?  I also wish that we could have gotten another 1st rounder this year so that we could get McGary and another guy or two, but again, we are where we are - for better or worse.  If it had taken parting ways on draft night with Jeff Green, Bass, Anthony, Bogans, etc. where do I sign? ;D  We'll get there, but this is going to be another crap season, imo.  Hopefully, we'll get a big guy in next year's draft, but, in the meantime, and my uncle told me this one today, maybe we should look into signing bigfoot to be our starting center (sarcasm).  Talk about a, "rim protector," ;D  He might be slow, but he can't be any worse than what we didn't have last year lol.