Author Topic: Leon Powe Hired to Celtics Front Office  (Read 8367 times)

Re: Leon Powe Hired to Celtics Front Office
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2014, 08:58:08 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997
Good for Leon.  He is one of my alltime favorite Celtics.

Seconded.  Absolutely love this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db1UnoY3rIo

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2014, 09:10:31 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Love it. Leon is one of my favorite Celtics of the past decade. Great, hard-working guy who left everything he had on the floor. Even though it was clear his knees were shot, I always felt bad that he got shipped out of town the way he did. Classy move by Danny to make space for him in the organization.

Agreed. And IIRC it was after Powe's rookie year that he reportedly gave hand-written thank you notes to even most lowly of Celtics employees that he encountered at work through the year.

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2014, 09:43:14 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
best news i have had in days. like everyone else here i loved powe as a celtic. so happy he is back and so proud that the celtics brought him back.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2014, 10:15:36 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Well, Mormons often abstain from caffeine, so his job probably isn't going to be fetching coffee for Danny Ainge.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2014, 10:29:29 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Welcome back Leon.

I wonder what the Celts have against Robert Parish that they never offered him as much as they now have for Powe though.  Is he that much of a knucklehead? It can't just be the pot, right?  Chief has made it pretty clear that he'd like to be involved.
Yup

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2014, 10:38:24 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Parish wants a coaching job that pays well, not something like this:

The Celtics hired him in 2004 for public relations work, but Parish found the $80,000 salary too low. “I want to make it clear, I’m not whining, and the Celtics owe me nothing. But having said that, you would think at least I would have a conversation about a coaching job, since that’s what I want to do.”
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2014, 10:55:29 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Hire da. Chief....!

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2014, 10:57:08 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Parish wants a coaching job that pays well, not something like this:

The Celtics hired him in 2004 for public relations work, but Parish found the $80,000 salary too low. “I want to make it clear, I’m not whining, and the Celtics owe me nothing. But having said that, you would think at least I would have a conversation about a coaching job, since that’s what I want to do.”

gotcha

thanks for digging
Yup

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2014, 12:23:04 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Yay for Leon!!!  Who doesn't love the guy?  I hope that, even though his position hasn't been specified to the fans as of yet, he can teach Sullinger how to draw fouls.  Leon was awesome at getting to the line, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one who would rather have Sully attempting 6-8 free throws a game instead of 3-5 3s.

Side bar - I don't think it would necessarily be a good idea to have Parish and Sullinger together,in any capacity, because of the Chief's history of domestic violence.  I don't even know where I stand in regards to Parish anymore.  Marijuana is one thing (I don't like it, but it's not unforgivable, and, if we're being honest with ourselves, it could have been a lot worse, like with Bias and Reggie, so, yeah...), but, as with Sullinger, you can't simply ignore domestic violence, no matter how great of a player 00 was.