Author Topic: Evan Turner officially signed!!  (Read 19771 times)

Re: Evan Turner officially signed!!
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2014, 10:36:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Or to prove why he is Michael Beasley.

Beasley has improved . Last year at times he was the only one or two players doing anything from the Heat's bench. 

But the guy has mediocre work ethic, will not come early or leave late after practice to work on his game.  Parties alot and prob still smokes the greens.

Turner doesn't sound like he is like that.  He needs to watch his temper a little though and play with more consistency/aggression.  In the end, he might end up becoming a real dangerous 6th man in the league. A guy like Jamal Crawford , you can especially inject in the 4th/clutch moments and watch him go to work

Given his skill set, I can see that happening if things pan out.  He could be a perennial candidate for the 6th man award, honestly, although how he pairs with Smart is going to be interesting, because, well, I don't think he can lol.  As the guy who can run the 2nd unit and be a playmaker from 3 positions, he could be deadly, but we'll see.  I'm not going to get excited about this haha.

ppl harp on him for not playing like someone picked 2nd overall. But he has been improving every season. Last season he was avg 17 points a game. Not too shabby at all

Can't believe though all it took was a 2nd round pick (a real late, nothing of a pick) to get him. Maybe it's his attitude ? not sure why no other teams wanted him for the playoff run

« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2014, 10:41:53 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
If he doesn't get his act together he'll be off to China I bet.  Hope he gets utilized and learns some defense.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2014, 10:41:58 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Or to prove why he is Michael Beasley.

Whatever he may be, Turner isn't Beasley.  Beasley has been in some good situations and proven he just doesn't care.  Turner, in contrast, has been in horrible situations and has always seemed like he's at least trying.

Mike

« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2014, 11:25:55 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Fun fact: Michael Beasley and Evan Turner are the same age.

Secondary fun fact: Michael Beasley has probably/arguably had a better NBA career than Evan Turner has.
http://bkref.com/tiny/bFHz3
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2014, 11:41:08 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker

Secondary fun fact: Michael Beasley has probably/arguably had a better NBA career than Evan Turner has.

Bradley's best year is better than Turner but Turner was getting better every season until he got traded to Dysfunction Junction in Indy.  Beasley, meanwhile, is on his fourth different team in 4 years.

Mike

« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2014, 08:50:59 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't buy into the "Jeff Green is a great defender against the elite" line that seems to be tossed around here so often. The numbers don't bear it out and I can't remember a time when the elite SFs in the league didn't get theirs when matched up against Green.

Green is a solid defender but nothing special in my eyes.

You must not have watched many Celtics games against teams with elite A SF's.

Over the last two seasons I can distinctly recall Green shutting down (and frustrating the hell out of) Lebron James (who still scored 30+, but shot around 35% in possessions against Green), Carmello Anthony and Kevin Durant - unquestionably the three best offensive SF's in the NBA.   He from memory he had pretty solid offensive games in each of those cases as well.

They were just the ones I distinctively recall,  but I know they were not the only ones.
I have been a member here since 2007 and may have posted in as many game threads as any other poster on the blog. Do you really think I haven't seen Jeff Green play against the elite SFs in the league? Is that your cop out whenever someone doesn't agree with you. Just claim they must not watch what you do?

I have seen the games. I have seen the numbers. What I don't see is some extra special  defensive performance against the elite SFs to suggest that Green does anything more than an adequate job guarding them. Your own post admits that Lebron went 30+ against Green on a a few occasions. Letting Lebron go for 30+ while also getting 7 assists and 7 rebounds routinely is great defense? Really? That's good defense on Lebron?

Don't see it.

« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2014, 09:19:51 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Bradley's best year is better than Turner but Turner was getting better every season until he got traded to Dysfunction Junction in Indy.  Beasley, meanwhile, is on his fourth different team in 4 years.

Mike

Not sure what Bradley has to do with it? That said, Turner's generally been on better teams than Beasley has, save last season, so I'm not sure that saying he's been 'trying in horrible situations' is really legitimate.

They're both pretty meh players with some talent, but lets not act like ET has some kind of wellspring of upside that Beasley doesn't.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2014, 09:38:13 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Mike

Not sure what Bradley has to do with it? That said, Turner's generally been on better teams than Beasley has, save last season, so I'm not sure that saying he's been 'trying in horrible situations' is really legitimate.

They're both pretty meh players with some talent, but lets not act like ET has some kind of wellspring of upside that Beasley doesn't.

Just over two years ago we came within a game of getting to the finals, now we're debating whether Evan Turner is better than Beasley. Sigh.

My first thought when I saw this thread was that the title had 1-2 more exclamation points than the topic warranted.

Hope he plays well though...

« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2014, 10:02:31 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I have seen the games. I have seen the numbers. What I don't see is some extra special  defensive performance against the elite SFs to suggest that Green does anything more than an adequate job guarding them. Your own post admits that Lebron went 30+ against Green on a a few occasions. Letting Lebron go for 30+ while also getting 7 assists and 7 rebounds routinely is great defense? Really? That's good defense on Lebron?

It might be good defense if Green's defense means Lebron gets double-teamed much less so that Lebron's teammates are more likely to get shut down.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2014, 10:03:38 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker

Mike

Philly's been better than Miami, Minny, Phoenix, Miami or Memphis?

Mike

« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2014, 10:12:00 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
This guy might possibly be the most frustrating Celtic of the last decade.
Evan Turner... 24/7 hour toothache.
He's not entirely terrible, but he never gained the finishing skill to be an elite monta Ellis type scorer and never had a clue on defense.
Similarly to Jeff Green he's one of those guys you'll watch each night and think 'man if he only just did .....' While you bang your head to stop the roller coaster of inconsistency.

He's a mediocre player who may look better off the ball in a Stevens system.
I don't like the signing but he's not winning us too many more games.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2014, 10:17:25 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Mike

Philly's been better than Miami, Minny, Phoenix, Miami or Memphis?

Mike

When Beasley's been on those teams, they've been pretty bad, with the exception of last year's Heat team. I'd take the 2012 76ers over the 2012 Timberwolves. Wouldn't you?

edit: Beasley's actually three months younger than Turner.

« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2014, 10:25:26 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Mike
Taking more shots doesn't mean he kept getting better.  I don't think he has improved much at all.

« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2014, 12:02:52 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
My only thought on seeing this is that some day about five years from now, I'll be browsing historical C's rosters from the current abysmal period and I'll see Turner's name and go "huh, I forgot he was on the team for three months in 2014." Kind of like how I do now with Calbert Cheaney, Bryant Stith, Doug Overton, etc.

« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2014, 01:18:00 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Probably/arguably?  By what standard?

Sure he averaged more points, but he was a terrible defender who didn't play well with others.

Turner, for all his woeful inefficiency as a scorer, plays good defense, can pass the ball and can contribute to winning basketball. 

Both are tremendous disappoint for their draft position, but Turner has at least shown the potential to stick around as a role player.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri