Author Topic: Evan Turner officially signed!!  (Read 19773 times)

Re: Evan Turner officially signed!!
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2014, 03:36:12 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Nothing to lose here and im excited for having Turner. He is not a bad player and think he will do good here
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2014, 03:45:48 PM »

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
If he performs well, he could be kept or dealt at the deadline or next offseason. Not a horrible gamble to take.

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2014, 11:30:31 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Remember how DA turned Jordan Crawford into an asset?  I think we're hoping the same results with Turner.  And if he really blows up?  Maybe he makes Jeff Green expendable in a deal for a quality player at another position of need.

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2014, 11:34:21 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
With Rondo out, Turner will be a major factor for our 2nd Unit. Most likely he shares ball handling job with Pressey (Assuming Smarts starts) He should put up fairly decent #'s.. Hopefully BS can help him improve his %'s...

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2014, 12:49:01 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I am wondering if Bradley and Turner might be a good pairing.  Bradley could defend the opposing PG and Turner could take on more ball handling on the offensive end.  It would not shock me to see this as the starting five until Rondo returns:

Bradley
Turner
Green
Sullinger
Zeller

This lets Smart come off the bench and maybe play with Thornton which I think will be better for him to start the season in terms of who he is paired with (Marcus and Marcus) and who he will have to match up against (opposing back up PG).  I don't feel like Smart and Bradley is a good pairing.

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2014, 01:00:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Remember how DA turned Jordan Crawford into an asset?  I think we're hoping the same results with Turner.  And if he really blows up?  Maybe he makes Jeff Green expendable in a deal for a quality player at another position of need.
Green's pretty expendable right now regardless of what Turner does.  the big position of need is Center and if Green can land a decent one in return, let's get the paperwork started.

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2014, 01:03:07 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Green's pretty expendable right now regardless of what Turner does.  the big position of need is Center and if Green can land a decent one in return, let's get the paperwork started.

I don't consider Green expandable at all despite all the limitations and lack of performance people ascribe to him and the disappointsment in him. The reason is that Green is one of the few players in the league that can match-up, and does actually perform well, with the big talented SFs in the league, sometimes out playing them... and by this I mean the LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant, Paul George's of the world.

That to me alone is a net positive despite his inconsistencies rebounding and on his offensive game, particularly in the playoffs.

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2014, 01:32:18 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137

I don't consider Green expandable at all despite all the limitations and lack of performance people ascribe to him and the disappointsment in him. The reason is that Green is one of the few players in the league that can match-up, and does actually perform well, with the big talented SFs in the league, sometimes out playing them... and by this I mean the LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant, Paul George's of the world.

That to me alone is a net positive despite his inconsistencies rebounding and on his offensive game, particularly in the playoffs.

TP! . This is exactly how I feel. There arent many SF's if any that are not max players who can keep up with those guys named above. Green is a vital piece once you have a Legit big and guard on your team. the problem is, will he be here when we finally acquire those pieces?

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2014, 02:27:13 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
You might not like Turner but this could be one of the better signings of all the nba off season.  Low risk, and hopefully for us huge upside.  Does he make Green expendable…NO.  But if the right package comes along and green needs to be part of it we thankfully don't have to start wallace at sf.
Turner needs to get into celtics team mode…like crawford did somewhat.  Take good shots, play good team defense and do the little things.  He could rejuvenate his career and be a great keeper, improve ala crawford enough to be moved or play like he did in indy and oh well we tried.  8)

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2014, 02:30:53 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Speaking of Steez, anyone else surprised that Crawford's still a free agent?

edit: what? China? Wow.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2014, 03:31:35 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Speaking of Steez, anyone else surprised that Crawford's still a free agent?

edit: what? China? Wow.

If I am not mistaken, Andray Blatche signed there as well.

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2014, 03:52:25 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Depressing news. I was hoping something would go wrong in order for him to sign elsewhere.

Yeah, getting a guy who put up Jeff Green type numbers for most of last season for 3m a year...terrible news.

Lol 6 if he got the same opportunity in Indiana that he got in Philly his numbers would have justified an $8-$10m deal.   Even now,  he is arguable the best player on this team not names Rajon Rondo...and he's costing us about the sane as Chris Wilcox did a few years back.

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2014, 03:56:25 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

TP! . This is exactly how I feel. There arent many SF's if any that are not max players who can keep up with those guys named above. Green is a vital piece once you have a Legit big and guard on your team. the problem is, will he be here when we finally acquire those pieces?
I understand what both of you are saying but I consider him expendable because he's not going to improve as a player and as a player he's ok.  not great, but ok.  he can have a great night as many ok players can do from time to time.

I don't see him as a building block to get us back to contention but as a trade chip to be used to fill a different talent gap or to bring in other assets that will allow us to improve.  As for adding a legit big and guard, most teams could use that.  he'd still be the 4th banana here with Rondo being #3 or #2.  I don't think a #4 player on a contender (at best) is someone that you need to hang on to if you can use them to get someone better (i.e. they're expendable for a better player/asset)

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2014, 04:15:18 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Depressing news. I was hoping something would go wrong in order for him to sign elsewhere.

Yeah, getting a guy who put up Jeff Green type numbers for most of last season for 3m a year...terrible news.

Lol 6 if he got the same opportunity in Indiana that he got in Philly his numbers would have justified an $8-$10m deal.   Even now,  he is arguable the best player on this team not names Rajon Rondo...and he's costing us about the sane as Chris Wilcox did a few years back.

The (true) fact that Evan Turner is either the best player or the second best player on this team is part of the reason I read any post with the idea that the C's could make the playoffs this season with a suspicion of wide eyed ignorance and an assumption that they've never seen him actually play basketball.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2014, 04:25:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't buy into the "Jeff Green is a great defender against the elite" line that seems to be tossed around here so often. The numbers don't bear it out and I can't remember a time when the elite SFs in the league didn't get theirs when matched up against Green.

Green is a solid defender but nothing special in my eyes.