Author Topic: Evan Turner officially signed!!  (Read 19777 times)

Re: Evan Turner officially signed!!
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2014, 02:43:00 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
This guy might possibly be the most frustrating Celtic of the last decade.
Evan Turner... 24/7 hour toothache.
He's not entirely terrible, but he never gained the finishing skill to be an elite monta Ellis type scorer and never had a clue on defense.
Similarly to Jeff Green he's one of those guys you'll watch each night and think 'man if he only just did .....' While you bang your head to stop the roller coaster of inconsistency.

He's a mediocre player who may look better off the ball in a Stevens system.
I don't like the signing but he's not winning us too many more games.

Why don't you actually let him play a game in a Celtics uniform before you start handing him the title of "most frustrating Celtic of the last decade"?!  I don't think that Jeff Green is ready to give that up yet. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2014, 02:51:09 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Fun fact: Michael Beasley and Evan Turner are the same age.

Secondary fun fact: Michael Beasley has probably/arguably had a better NBA career than Evan Turner has.
http://bkref.com/tiny/bFHz3

Probably/arguably?  By what standard?

Sure he averaged more points, but he was a terrible defender who didn't play well with others.

Turner, for all his woeful inefficiency as a scorer, plays good defense, can pass the ball and can contribute to winning basketball. 

Both are tremendous disappoint for their draft position, but Turner has at least shown the potential to stick around as a role player.

Interestingly enough, Beasley and Turner have identical career Defensive Win Shares, despite Beasley playing the majority of his career for defense-averse coaches like Rick Adelman and the Phoneix crew while Turner was playing under Doug Collins and Frank Vogel.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2014, 03:00:25 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
He's not entirely terrible, but he never gained the finishing skill to be an elite monta Ellis type scorer and never had a clue on defense.
Similarly to Jeff Green he's one of those guys you'll watch each night and think 'man if he only just did .....' While you bang your head to stop the roller coaster of inconsistency.

Why don't you actually let him play a game in a Celtics uniform before you start handing him the title of "most frustrating Celtic of the last decade"?!  I don't think that Jeff Green is ready to give that up yet.

Or maybe a practice?

He is certainly not the most frustrating Celtic of the last week, month, year or decade.  Yet.

« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2014, 03:06:55 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Or maybe a practice?

He is certainly not the most frustrating Celtic of the last week, month, year or decade.  Yet.

It hasn't been 10 years yet since Mark Blount left. That title's his for the next year or two.

« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2014, 04:16:44 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Hence the word *might*.
I'll give him 10 games. Ok maybe 3.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2014, 05:58:41 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Turner should be good as Craw anyway.  Maybe he performs simular and is traded for our benefit.

« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2014, 08:00:20 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Depressing news. I was hoping something would go wrong in order for him to sign elsewhere.

Agreed. Turner is the type of inefficient chucker that a young team like the Celtics doesn't need. Never has had one good season in his career. Such a brutal waste of resources.

« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2014, 08:09:41 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Never had a clue on defense? He's a smart player who was praised for his D coming out of college, and with a 102 defensive rating over two teams last year, he had a better number than anyone on the C's. He also has the same career defensive rating, at 106, as AB.

« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2014, 08:31:40 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Never had a clue on defense? He's a smart player who was praised for his D coming out of college, and with a 102 defensive rating over two teams last year, he had a better number than anyone on the C's. He also has the same career defensive rating, at 106, as AB.
Turner's numbers in Indy for defensive rating were skewed last year due to being traded to the best defensive team in the league, not because of some sudden defensive transformation. At best he is a mediocre defensive player that has the tools to be a much better defensive player if he puts his mind to it. For Turner, his defense is dependent upon effort. He just hasn't seemed to care to put the effort into that portion of his game since his sophomore year in the league.

I think if he concentrates on his defense and puts forth the effort he can be a very good defender but he hasn't been a good defender for years.

« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2014, 11:39:24 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I'm not even sure he has the tools to be "very good" defender.  He has trouble at SG against the quicker ones.  He's not a player with a lot of athleticism.  He's like a Greivis Vasquez type player (with less passing) who creates his stuff with excellent footwork.  I don't think he has the other tools that would make him a very good defender if he just put in the effort (like Pierce did).
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2014, 12:09:59 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Turner's numbers in Indy for defensive rating were skewed last year due to being traded to the best defensive team in the league, not because of some sudden defensive transformation.

Correct. Turners DRtg was 111 with Philly and 102 with Indiana. During his earlier years with Philly he was playing against bench units in a pretty defensively sound unit under Doug Collins, but ET isn't a particularly notable defender.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2014, 01:37:39 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I love the Turner signing. He is young and a decent player already. He still has potential and showed some progress last year. At such a low two year signing it's a no brainer. He should develop more and be a 15/5/5, 9-man rotation player. Overall bench is much better this year with additions of Smart, Turner, Young, and Thornton.

« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2014, 01:53:49 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Depressing news. I was hoping something would go wrong in order for him to sign elsewhere.

Agreed. Turner is the type of inefficient chucker that a young team like the Celtics doesn't need. Never has had one good season in his career. Such a brutal waste of resources.
considering you've been screaming for the team to be as bad as possible I would think you'd be ecstatic over adding a player you think stinks. 

C's certainly didn't waste any resources bringing him in.