Author Topic: Evan Turner officially signed!!  (Read 19774 times)

Re: Evan Turner officially signed!!
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2014, 04:30:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I'm on board with it.

He is worth a chance on rebuilding team...... So if he sucks .....no big deal ..... C's probably headed for lottery anyway .....he'll just help us get a better pick....small salary no big ee

But, if he pans out .....then his trade value increases and he could be part of a package to bring a serious  CENTER  to this team !  Yay !

It's a ..WIN WIN  situation

No idea how he'll work out .....

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2014, 04:44:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
We got to get rid of thornton and wallace

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2014, 05:11:34 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I don't buy into the "Jeff Green is a great defender against the elite" line that seems to be tossed around here so often. The numbers don't bear it out and I can't remember a time when the elite SFs in the league didn't get theirs when matched up against Green.

Green is a solid defender but nothing special in my eyes.

Fair position to take on an arguable point.

Everything is relative, of course.

What is your opinion of how well Evan Turner defends 'big SFs' such as Lebron, Carmelo, Durant, Parsons, Pierce, etc. ?
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2014, 05:29:25 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't buy into the "Jeff Green is a great defender against the elite" line that seems to be tossed around here so often. The numbers don't bear it out and I can't remember a time when the elite SFs in the league didn't get theirs when matched up against Green.

The numbers do bear it out. No one is claiming that he's going to lock them down, but he matches up quite well against them and has good performance against them as well. Good players are what they are, you can't stop them 100% of the time, particularly when you lack defenders in your big man rotations to help you out, which is the norm to handle them appropriately.

But I like how he matches up.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=greenje02&p2=anthoca01

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=greenje02&p2=duranke01

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=greenje02&p2=jamesle01

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=greenje02&p2=georgpa01

« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2014, 05:50:08 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Remember how DA turned Jordan Crawford into an asset?  I think we're hoping the same results with Turner.  And if he really blows up?  Maybe he makes Jeff Green expendable in a deal for a quality player at another position of need.
Green's pretty expendable right now regardless of what Turner does.  the big position of need is Center and if Green can land a decent one in return, let's get the paperwork started.

I would be much happier with Olynyk/Zeller as our starting center them I would be with Wallace/Young as our starting SF.

« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2014, 05:54:11 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Remember how DA turned Jordan Crawford into an asset?  I think we're hoping the same results with Turner.  And if he really blows up?  Maybe he makes Jeff Green expendable in a deal for a quality player at another position of need.
Green's pretty expendable right now regardless of what Turner does.  the big position of need is Center and if Green can land a decent one in return, let's get the paperwork started.

I would be much happier with Olynyk/Zeller as our starting center them I would be with Wallace/Young as our starting SF.

Turner/Wallace/Smart/Young/(Thornton)

Wallace and Turner = 48 minutes of ball handling baby! (Also 48 minutes of constipated offense i.e. no spacing)

« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2014, 05:54:48 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

You must not have watched many Celtics games against teams with elite A SF's.

Over the last two seasons I can distinctly recall Green shutting down (and frustrating the hell out of) Lebron James (who still scored 30+, but shot around 35% in possessions against Green), Carmello Anthony and Kevin Durant - unquestionably the three best offensive SF's in the NBA.   He from memory he had pretty solid offensive games in each of those cases as well.

They were just the ones I distinctively recall,  but I know they were not the only ones.

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2014, 06:07:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnSChDKNpz0

2nd chance to prove why he was chosen 2nd overall.

« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2014, 09:58:15 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Or to prove why he is Michael Beasley.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2014, 10:14:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Beasley has improved . Last year at times he was the only one or two players doing anything from the Heat's bench. 

But the guy has mediocre work ethic, will not come early or leave late after practice to work on his game.  Parties alot and prob still smokes the greens.

Turner doesn't sound like he is like that.  He needs to watch his temper a little though and play with more consistency/aggression.  In the end, he might end up becoming a real dangerous 6th man in the league. A guy like Jamal Crawford , you can especially inject in the 4th/clutch moments and watch him go to work

« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2014, 10:19:43 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Really lookin forward to watching him and this whole new team this year.  Looking forward to Oct 6!

« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2014, 10:22:28 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
big man with a  mid range game..?..hmm
pair him with Bass...we got a shot at the ring baby!!

*sippin*

« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2014, 10:27:25 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

You must not have watched many Celtics games against teams with elite A SF's.

Over the last two seasons I can distinctly recall Green shutting down (and frustrating the hell out of) Lebron James (who still scored 30+, but shot around 35% in possessions against Green), Carmello Anthony and Kevin Durant - unquestionably the three best offensive SF's in the NBA.   He from memory he had pretty solid offensive games in each of those cases as well.

They were just the ones I distinctively recall,  but I know they were not the only ones.

It was Bass who shut Melo down, not Green.  Why, or how, Bass seems to have Anthony's number is beyond me, but I'll take it :)  I wonder why contenders aren't interested in a guy who can guard 3s and 4s - because that's pretty rare.

« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2014, 10:33:58 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Beasley has improved . Last year at times he was the only one or two players doing anything from the Heat's bench. 

But the guy has mediocre work ethic, will not come early or leave late after practice to work on his game.  Parties alot and prob still smokes the greens.

Turner doesn't sound like he is like that.  He needs to watch his temper a little though and play with more consistency/aggression.  In the end, he might end up becoming a real dangerous 6th man in the league. A guy like Jamal Crawford , you can especially inject in the 4th/clutch moments and watch him go to work

Given his skill set, I can see that happening if things pan out.  He could be a perennial candidate for the 6th man award, honestly, although how he pairs with Smart is going to be interesting, because, well, I don't think he can lol.  As the guy who can run the 2nd unit and be a playmaker from 3 positions, he could be deadly, but we'll see.  I'm not going to get excited about this haha.

« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2014, 10:35:35 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Why, or how, Bass seems to have Anthony's number is beyond me, but I'll take it

beyond you?

Bass be Thumpin

thats why!!

*sippin*