Author Topic: Evan Turner officially signed!!  (Read 19816 times)

Re: Evan Turner officially signed!!
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 01:08:07 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Depressing news. I was hoping something would go wrong in order for him to sign elsewhere.
Lol. He's not that bad. Turner can be a good contributor if given enough playing time & he's improving each year.

Hard to argue against this. I get it and I understand it. He's definitely a low risk hugely high reward type signing. I just have always, always hated him and his game for some reason and it made me oddly happy to see him struggle with Indiana last year. It will be tough having him and Bradley on this team as they are two of my least favorite NBA players. Here's to them proving me otherwise!

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 01:16:55 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
**clang**
Good low risk signing.
**clang**

Turner just missed 2 shots as I was typing this.
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 01:18:18 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I'm still kind of excited about this signing.  He put up some decent numbers for a bad Philly team, why can't he do the same for the C's. 
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 01:20:22 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
For your reference....Career stats:
.427 fg
.326 3pt
.770 ft
5.3 reb
3.1 ast
0.2 blk
0.7 stl
1.8 to
11.1 ppg
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 01:40:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
At least he didn't sign for the non-tax paying MLE.

For what he could bring it might be a steal of a contract.

For what he probably will bring, its probably priced about right.

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 01:44:42 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
A. Sherrod Blakely ?@SherrodbCSN
#Celtics Evan Turner picked the Cs in part based on how fans showed up last yr even as the team struggled. "That was cool to see," he said.

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 01:55:27 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
For a comparison,

Evan Turner per 36 minute stats last season -
.425%
.321% from three
6.5 rebounds
3.8 assists
1 steal
2.8 turnovers
16.6 points

Michael Carter Williams per 36 minute stats last season -
.405%
.264% from three
6.5 rebounds
6.6 assists
1.9 steals
3.7 turnovers
17.4 points

And MCW is three years younger but he's 22 to Turner's 25, so it's not like he's 19 or something.

Mike

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 01:58:45 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
A. Sherrod Blakely ?@SherrodbCSN
#Celtics Evan Turner picked the Cs in part based on how fans showed up last yr even as the team struggled. "That was cool to see," he said.

We can always count on Sherrod for a hot scoop.

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 02:12:13 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Jeff Zillgitt @JeffZillgitt
Celtics announced Evan Turner signing today, and I'm told it's a two-year deal for the taxpayer mid-level exception at $3.278M per season.

One good thing about this: the Celtics don't seem to be interested in jumping through hoops to shed salary to get under the tax threshold.

If Wyc and Co. aren't concerned about the tax this season, that'll mean more options for Ainge to improve the club through trades.

I'm pretty sure the Celtics are still under the lux-tax threshold, in terms of actual salary. The Bogans TPE essentially serves as a pseudo cap hold, thus putting them over the tax threshold, but because it isn't actually salary being paid out, by the end of the season if no additional salary is taken on, the C's won't actually be taxpayers.

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 02:15:25 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
As for the actual signing of Turner, I'm pretty neutral on it. It doesn't seem to hamstring the C's financially, so if he turns his game around, great. If he continues to be mediocre, well, at least the club doesn't have a lot invested in him. I just would hate to see him take away opportunities to develop our young players.

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 02:31:26 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Celtics announced Evan Turner signing today, and I'm told it's a two-year deal for the taxpayer mid-level exception at $3.278M per season.

One good thing about this: the Celtics don't seem to be interested in jumping through hoops to shed salary to get under the tax threshold.

If Wyc and Co. aren't concerned about the tax this season, that'll mean more options for Ainge to improve the club through trades.

I'm pretty sure the Celtics are still under the lux-tax threshold, in terms of actual salary. The Bogans TPE essentially serves as a pseudo cap hold, thus putting them over the tax threshold, but because it isn't actually salary being paid out, by the end of the season if no additional salary is taken on, the C's won't actually be taxpayers.

I'm pretty sure there's a cap hold in the amount of the TPE for as long as it remains valid (one calendar year), so it will extend into the offseason if not used this season.

Edit: TPEs can be renounced, like any other exception. So, if the Celtics really don't want to end up in tax-land this season, they could renounce the Bogans TPE. I suppose it's an option, but it means burning a decent trade asset.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 02:38:38 PM by Lucky17 »
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2014, 02:32:31 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
For your reference....Career stats:
.427 fg
.326 3pt
.770 ft
5.3 reb
3.1 ast
0.2 blk
0.7 stl
1.8 to
11.1 ppg

29 mpg

his scoring (while only at philly) went from 7.2 to 9.4 to 13.3 to 17.4 from year one to four as well.  his rebounds went from 3.9 to 6.0 over the same period.

there is definitely growth there.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2014, 03:02:24 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I'm pretty sure there's a cap hold in the amount of the TPE for as long as it remains valid (one calendar year), so it will extend into the offseason if not used this season.

Edit: TPEs can be renounced, like any other exception. So, if the Celtics really don't want to end up in tax-land this season, they could renounce the Bogans TPE. I suppose it's an option, but it means burning a decent trade asset.

Exceptions are ignored when calculating team salary for the purpose of determining luxury tax.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2014, 03:04:35 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Exceptions are ignored when calculating team salary for the purpose of determining luxury tax.

Derp. You're right. TP.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2014, 03:31:46 PM »

Offline suseego

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0