Author Topic: The truth is their is no point for Rondo on this team anymore  (Read 11471 times)

Re: The truth is their is no point for Rondo on this team anymore
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2014, 07:55:46 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

What your not doing though is looking at it from Rondo's point of view.

Your looking at it from a team management point of view.

I am pretty sure Rondo is already at that breaking point.

Ok, but why?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2014, 08:01:04 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72

Ok, but why?

Your right, that question is the answer so to speak. I do not know, nobody does, but im just going on past situations, even putting my own experiences in a basketball organized league.

Not only that but the type of person Rondo is, he is a high octane player, loves to prove himself, loves to play extra hard on big games, big matchups......is their anything wrong with that, maybe a bit, i peronally love how he wants to get up for those big games, the coach probably wants that every single game but its difficult.

My point is , knowing Rondo and seeing him all this year, I really think he does not see a good future here. Unless he goes for the money.

Management i bet is doing all they can to convince him otherwise.

Although you get my point now. Rondo is probably at that road where it splits.

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2014, 10:16:45 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
i think rondo game declined after perk left
way before the big 3 crumbled

when perk left the whole vibe changed and before perk left was some of the best ball rondo ever played

*sippin*

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2014, 11:58:37 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
AB will always be a player who will never be starting on a good team. So he can start here for as long as he wants and can, as long as the team is trash like it is at the moment.

I still don't understand how people get this idea in their heads, because it just makes no rational sense to me.

How many championships did the Lakers win with Derek Fisher as their starting PG?

How many championships did the Spurs win with Bruce Bowen as their starting SF?

How many championships did Miami win with Shane Battier as their starting SF/PF?

How many championships did Chicago with guys like Luke Longley, Bill Wennington and Will Purdue as starting centers?

Do people around here really and truly believe that Avery Bradley is more skilled and talented then any one of those guys?  Was Perkins any more skilled/talented then Bradley when we won the title in 2008?

People here have this unrealistic expectation that if you want to win a championship, every single player on your starting lineup needs to be a start or a borderline star...that's not how it works. 

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2014, 12:04:18 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Ok, but why?

Your right, that question is the answer so to speak. I do not know, nobody does, but im just going on past situations, even putting my own experiences in a basketball organized league.

Not only that but the type of person Rondo is, he is a high octane player, loves to prove himself, loves to play extra hard on big games, big matchups......is their anything wrong with that, maybe a bit, i peronally love how he wants to get up for those big games, the coach probably wants that every single game but its difficult.

My point is , knowing Rondo and seeing him all this year, I really think he does not see a good future here. Unless he goes for the money.

You have some really good points and it's hard for a lot of fans to look at it from the other side of the coin. It's funny seeing how many people will ask the question 'why would he want to leave?' And they fail to ask 'why wouldn't he leave?' and put themselves in the perspective that doesn't suit their own personal preference.

I think what needs to also be factored in is:
-the money the Celtics will pay him can ultimately be more than anyone else
-he seems to trust Danny Ainge and Wyc, and understands that Danny is always looking to make a trade 'now', that makes us a contender. He also knows that Danny won't just slap together a perennial 4th or 5th seed just to make the playoffs.
- if we agree in the above, Rondo is probably asking himself 'now that Love is off the market, who are the next targets to get us back to the top?'.
...it wouldn't surprise me if Rondo and Danny have talked about this and which players they are going to target. In fact I'd be shocked if they didn't discuss this. Rondo mentioned the other day that he's been recruiting guys to come to Boston, and I'd speculate that those are guys that he's talked about with Danny.
- it's very important to remember that Rondo going into max salary territory isn't going to cripple the Celtics cap because the cap is growing, and this club is willing and has demonstrated that they will go into the luxury tax if they can field a contender.
- even more important is the fact that Rondo makes this franchise more money in merchandise, ticket and jersey/souvenir sales than anyone, and he's been that major income source for the Celtics for quite some time. As a business investment, letting him walk because you don't want to fork out the max contract would be catastrophic. Did you see fan reaction in China when he visited? People in Australia walk around with Rondo jerseys- he's a global brand, more so than Russell Westbrook, more so than plenty of other great players.
-even if he has to wait a year or two to play for championships again, he's probably got the bigger picture in mind and Danny Ainge, being a rookie and living here your entire NBA career and getting paid more here than anywhere else are going to be 3 of the 4 or 5 most important factors in his future decisions.

Question is, what does Rondo actually think? Does he want to win right now and has the past year already been too much losing/ professional pain for him to handle another 2 years of this? We just don't know.

I personally hope he stays but I'd understand if he doesn't. Let's hope he's recruiting some studs HARD.

Makes me wonder who those players he's been talking to might be...
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2014, 12:09:33 AM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
he's a fan favorite. his jersey sells out. he's the reason the season tickets even get sold.

« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2014, 12:33:58 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

Ok, but why?

Since Rondo has become more of a star player the last several years, theres been MANY people coming out and saying that the only reason he was able to put up the numbers he did was because he was playing with three hall of famers.

you dont think Rondo is interested at all in trying to lead a team where hes clearly the best player and the clear leader?  And oh by the way doing it with a team that'll be able to pay you more than any other team?

Rondos already won a ring, and Im sure he'd like to win more, but I think he'd like to do it in  situation where people arent gonna tell me that he was just along for the ride.

....Not saying this is exactly whats going through Rondos head but it makes just as much sense as the why would he wanna be here stuff.
Greg

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2014, 06:30:47 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
AB will always be a player who will never be starting on a good team. So he can start here for as long as he wants and can, as long as the team is trash like it is at the moment.

I still don't understand how people get this idea in their heads, because it just makes no rational sense to me.

How many championships did the Lakers win with Derek Fisher as their starting PG?

How many championships did the Spurs win with Bruce Bowen as their starting SF?

How many championships did Miami win with Shane Battier as their starting SF/PF?

How many championships did Chicago with guys like Luke Longley, Bill Wennington and Will Purdue as starting centers?

Do people around here really and truly believe that Avery Bradley is more skilled and talented then any one of those guys?  Was Perkins any more skilled/talented then Bradley when we won the title in 2008?

People here have this unrealistic expectation that if you want to win a championship, every single player on your starting lineup needs to be a start or a borderline star...that's not how it works.

actually that is my point lol......if AB was to become Derek Fisher , he would ultimately be a 8 per game scorer on 40% shooting

but even he cannot do that, because HE IS NOT A POINT GUARD. Fisher is. As attrocious and hideous as Fisher's numbers look.

AB cannot do what he does on other teams AS A STARTER, he is worth this much only because everyone around him is barely or not better than he is.

« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2014, 08:25:34 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
He might as well stay on the Celtics ...anywhere he goes in the east ....he might win more games , but he won't overcome LeBrons parade for at least another three years when LeBrons starts to,wane.

If he likes the C's he might as well stay ..... Going to another eastern team will just wear him out and he won't be able to beat the Cavs .

Going to West is best option past the C's ...but where besides the a Rockets .

Things are just how their are ...unbalanced right now .....west full of good players ......East has LeBron controlling the eastern contender .

He might as well hang around ...get a near max contract from Celtics.

« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2014, 09:24:52 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I think the thing most are forgetting is danny did try to trade him and said most of the teams in the NBA said they were happy with their PG.

sure, this is what we heard, and it may have been true or may have been a bargaining ploy. but I think it could absolutely be true.

but if it is true? this doesn't effect Rondo as far as just trading him goes, but it also effects him as being a free agent at the end of the yr. in that he may not be getting that big contract he wants.

« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2014, 09:27:53 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Ok, but why?

TP for the response. It's much easier to say something than to explain it.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2014, 12:23:57 PM »

Offline brandonmm94

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
People tend to forget Bradley was the starting SG when we took the heat to 7 games in the playoffs. He was a big part of that team defensively, he can start on a good team, he just needs a good shooting PG next to him.

« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2014, 12:38:32 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
People tend to forget Bradley was the starting SG when we took the heat to 7 games in the playoffs. He was a big part of that team defensively, he can start on a good team, he just needs a good shooting PG next to him.
He was the starting SG for about half the season and through the first round and a half or so of the playoffs. He didn't play that Heat series.

He ended up getting sat during the Philly series because his shoulders couldn't stay in their sockets for a whole game. He had surgery on both of them that offseason.

« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2014, 12:41:34 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
... Proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is indeed amazing what people tend to forget.   :D

« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2014, 12:44:45 PM »

Offline brandonmm94

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
What am I thinking about then? I just remember Bradley had a monster block on wade in a playoff game and really made a difference defensively.