Author Topic: Chris Johnson claimed off waivers by 76ers  (Read 1819 times)

Chris Johnson claimed off waivers by 76ers
« on: September 28, 2014, 07:46:16 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

The Sixers have claimed Chris Johnson off of waivers, Marc Stein of ESPN.com reports (Twitter link). Johnson, not to be confused with the player of the same name on the Heat, was waived by the Celtics on Thursday as Boston began paring down their roster to the maximum of 20 players. This move brings Philadelphia’s roster count to 21, so they will have to release someone in order to add Johnson.

This move continues the trend of the Sixers adding young, minimum salary players for their season-long quest for the No. 1 overall draft pick. Johnson will compete for minutes at small forward, and with a strong training camp it’s conceivable that Johnson could end up contributing as a rotation piece during the regular season.

In 48 career games Johnson’s numbers are 5.8 PPG, 2.3 RPG, and 0.7 APG. His career slash line is .402/.338/.844.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2014/09/sixers-johnson-waivers.html
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Chris Johnson claimed off waivers by 76ers
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 07:49:45 PM »

Offline Rick Robeys Return

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
  • The bringer of DJ
21 players and still below the salary cap floor, right?

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 07:52:19 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
21 players and still below the salary cap floor, right?

The 76ers have like 8 players on rookie/minimum scale contracts. So yeah, most likely they are below the salary cap.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 08:06:34 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Was about to post this.

Not that Johnson was a world beater but I'm disappointed we couldn't find the space to keep him around. It seems crazy that the team is so talent-poor and yet we have this situation where we can't even fit in a guy like Johnson. Ainge made so many moves for financial reasons that the roster is a huge mess right now. 4 guys alone (Bass, Thornton, Anthony, Wallace) basically have no future with this team and are just playing out their deals.

And yes, it hurts a little extra that it was the Sixers who picked him up.

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 08:26:31 PM »

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
Glad he's getting another opportunity even if it's with a division rival.

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 08:41:24 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
well that move should backfire for the Sixers -- CJ will now lead them to a better record than the C's ;)

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 09:59:46 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Was about to post this.

Not that Johnson was a world beater but I'm disappointed we couldn't find the space to keep him around. It seems crazy that the team is so talent-poor and yet we have this situation where we can't even fit in a guy like Johnson. Ainge made so many moves for financial reasons that the roster is a huge mess right now. 4 guys alone (Bass, Thornton, Anthony, Wallace) basically have no future with this team and are just playing out their deals.

And yes, it hurts a little extra that it was the Sixers who picked him up.

While this is true how we are at the limit of players and the luxury tax, the benefit of taking on Wallace, Thornton, and Anthony is they were part of deals where we got additional draft pick which I like more than keeping someone like Chris Johnson.  The Bass deal I was fine with as we were still trying to contend at the time.  If Sully and/or KO really step up I don't mind keeping him to back them up.

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 10:14:04 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
They probably claimed him mainly because his contract is fully unguaranteed this season with no guarantee date.  Philly's plan should be to flip unguaranteed contracts like Bogans and CJ to a capped-out team before the January guarantee deadline to teams that want to avoid luxury tax.  They should love to trade Bogans for a contract like Joel Anthony if it gets them the same sort of draft picks the Celtics got.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference