Author Topic: We need a rim-protector, they need a wing defender  (Read 7305 times)

Re: We need a rim-protector, they need a wing defender
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 03:20:24 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
This is a sensible trade for sure but I am not sure that I see where Denver has a "need" for more PF depth.  They have Hickson and Arthur behind Faried.  I don't see how Bass improves this.

So it comes down to how much of an upgrade they view Green over Gallinari.  I agree that overall Green would be a better all around fit as a player but is it enough of an upgrade to warrant giving up a capable back up center?  I suspect we would have to add something but I am not sure what.

From what i've seen out of Faried, he's a tweener forward and a great one. Hickson cant guard modern 4s and plays more like a 5.... a veteren guy like Bass would great cuz he's their only big man that's capable of knocking down the midrange
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 03:30:13 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Here's a video of Mozgov protecting the rim from Blake Griffin using his face. Notice: Blake Griffin did not break the stanchion in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPzIHdZQAj4

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 07:34:46 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I am starting to hate the term "rim protector". Last year everyone needed a 3 and D guy.

I think the terms "rim protector" and "3 and D" are just a part of the evolution of defining basketball positions. It seems that people who closely follow basketball are getting away from the traditional 1-5 positions.

As for the trade it would only happen if Denver views Gallinari as a negative asset that they need to get rid of and McGee as they solid starting center. I don't think they consider this deal
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 08:37:05 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Absolutely no way I trade for Gallinari before I see him return to the court first.  He had a serious knee injury, multiple surgeries and setbacks.  Gallinari may never be the same player again.  That's too big a risk to make a marginal upgrade to our center rotation.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 10:57:44 PM by fantankerous »

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 11:25:14 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I'm not sure why the Celtics would want to add another year of contracts, in what is a clear rebuilding process.    The C's are in tank mode, or at least they should be.  That means losing games, developing assets, and clearing salary cap space.  Neither the paesan, nor the cosmonaut, serve as rebuilding assets for the Celtics.  If anything, I'd prefer keeping Bass and Green, who represent $16 million in expiring contracts.  That, or move them for picks, or prospects.  The Celtics should be looking to lose as many games as possible this year.  Play hard, keep it close and entertaining, but lose in the end.  Sucks, but this is the NBA.  Isn't it Faaaaaaantastic?!?!

agree 100%
Would rather give Zeller some playing time and let the others expire.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 12:32:54 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Not really interested.

I do thin Green is better (or least on par) as an overall player, and do not believe this trade would make us better.

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 12:18:02 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
This is a sensible trade for sure but I am not sure that I see where Denver has a "need" for more PF depth.  They have Hickson and Arthur behind Faried.  I don't see how Bass improves this.

So it comes down to how much of an upgrade they view Green over Gallinari.  I agree that overall Green would be a better all around fit as a player but is it enough of an upgrade to warrant giving up a capable back up center?  I suspect we would have to add something but I am not sure what.

From what i've seen out of Faried, he's a tweener forward and a great one. Hickson cant guard modern 4s and plays more like a 5.... a veteren guy like Bass would great cuz he's their only big man that's capable of knocking down the midrange

Bass does the exact same thing as Arthur on offense.