Author Topic: Rondo rumor on where fracture actually happened  (Read 33077 times)

Re: Rondo rumor on where fracture actually happened
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2014, 06:22:57 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Rondo is very injury prone.  Stuff like this is inevitable regardless of how it happened.  His brittle body has a tendency to break down in various ways.   He's missed like 100 games over the past two seasons.
I still don't classify him as injury prone.  If he gets another major injury in the next 2 years, then I will.
last four years Rondo has missed 13 games, 13 games, 44 games, and 52 games.  That is 3 separate injuries and he now his 4th in 5 years.  That is pretty much the definition of injury prone.

Two of those 3 injuries were a sprained ankle and a sprained wrist, both of which kept him out of the lineup for 2 weeks or so. "Injury prone" is a stretch.

Rondo isn't "Injury Prone"?!?  Sorry, but Rondo is the definition of injury prone.  I don't care if it was a sprained ankle or a sprained brain, he has missed a crapload of games.  For the record, a crapload = 13+13+44+52+ whatever 6-8 wks amounts to this year.

Before Rondo's knee injury he'd played for about 6 and a half seasons plus over 90 playoff games. He'd never had an injury more serious than a sprain, he'd never missed as many as 10 games in a row due to injury and he'd only missed more than 5 straight games twice. His current injury might not cost him more than a few games either. That's hardly the definition of injury prone. 

And here we see BBall Tim in his natural environment, defending Rondo against even numbers themselves. He's missed a lot of games, get over it.

Sure he has, mostly with the knee injury. Was he injury prone before that?

« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2014, 06:24:28 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Rondo is very injury prone.  Stuff like this is inevitable regardless of how it happened.  His brittle body has a tendency to break down in various ways.   He's missed like 100 games over the past two seasons.
I still don't classify him as injury prone.  If he gets another major injury in the next 2 years, then I will.
last four years Rondo has missed 13 games, 13 games, 44 games, and 52 games.  That is 3 separate injuries and he now his 4th in 5 years.  That is pretty much the definition of injury prone.

Two of those 3 injuries were a sprained ankle and a sprained wrist, both of which kept him out of the lineup for 2 weeks or so. "Injury prone" is a stretch.

Rondo isn't "Injury Prone"?!?  Sorry, but Rondo is the definition of injury prone.  I don't care if it was a sprained ankle or a sprained brain, he has missed a crapload of games.  For the record, a crapload = 13+13+44+52+ whatever 6-8 wks amounts to this year.

Before Rondo's knee injury he'd played for about 6 and a half seasons plus over 90 playoff games. He'd never had an injury more serious than a sprain, he'd never missed as many as 10 games in a row due to injury and he'd only missed more than 5 straight games twice. His current injury might not cost him more than a few games either. That's hardly the definition of injury prone.

You also forgot the dislocated elbow in May 2011 that would've put him out of action for a long time. I agree with you earlier in his career he was a model of health, but things change. The fact remains that he's now had 3 significant injuries in a little over 3 years and recent history gives him that injury prone label. Same thing happened with Bird. He was basically an iron man his first 9 years and then his body started breaking down.

While more than a month and a half has gone by since he dislocated his elbow, Rondo still needs more time before he will be able to get on the court and play basketball again this offseason.

“He’s not 100 percent yet,’’ said president of basketball operations Danny Ainge on Wednesday afternoon. “He’s probably about four weeks away from playing basketball full speed. But he can do some training and conditioning right now.’’

I don't think that using the dislocated elbow injury is helping your point about rondo being injury prone.  A cheap shot by d. wade.

So then are we dismissing Westbrook's knee injury because it occurred on a dirty play by Beverly?

In my opinion, if someone gets injured directly from another player's actions, I don't really think you can just say, oh well they are just injury prone (at least for that instance).  It wasn't like Rondo just fell down on the court and dislocated his own elbow.  Same with Westbrook.

So then in a contact sport the only injuries you count are non-contact ones? So then I guess you wouldn't consider Delonte West or Bradley injury prone since the majority of their issues occurred by another player's actions.

Who's actions caused Delonte's and Avery's injuries?

« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2014, 06:25:29 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I don't think Rondo's got an injury prone body, I do think his style of play leads him to potentially get more injuries though.
Throwing his body around, scrambling after loose balls, attacking the basket at full speed in the fast court break or just getting to the rim in the half court.

He's got a slighter frame than most NBA players and I have always never cared if he took it easier during the regular season to prepare/ salvage his body for the playoffs.

I would say his style of play combined with his body type aren't necessarily the best for an injury free career- but I'd rather he play hard and put it all on the line when trophy time comes than try and preserve himself for next season.

I'd assume the reason he's put in some muscle this offseason is to prepare himself for more physicality as his scoring role increases and he needs to get to the line more.

He plays like a Celtic and leaves it all out there when required.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2014, 06:25:33 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

You also forgot the dislocated elbow in May 2011 that would've put him out of action for a long time. I agree with you earlier in his career he was a model of health, but things change. The fact remains that he's now had 3 significant injuries in a little over 3 years and recent history gives him that injury prone label. Same thing happened with Bird. He was basically an iron man his first 9 years and then his body started breaking down.

While more than a month and a half has gone by since he dislocated his elbow, Rondo still needs more time before he will be able to get on the court and play basketball again this offseason.

“He’s not 100 percent yet,’’ said president of basketball operations Danny Ainge on Wednesday afternoon. “He’s probably about four weeks away from playing basketball full speed. But he can do some training and conditioning right now.’’

Rondo missed about 5 minutes with the elbow. And I don't know if you ever saw Bird play, but it really wasn't the same as what's going on with Rondo, unless you don't see a difference between a broken bone in your hand and Bird's back injury.

Rondo's injury allegedly occurred while taking a shower, Bird's while he was doing yardwork.

« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2014, 06:28:42 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I don't think that using the dislocated elbow injury is helping your point about rondo being injury prone.  A cheap shot by d. wade.

So then are we dismissing Westbrook's knee injury because it occurred on a dirty play by Beverly?

In my opinion, if someone gets injured directly from another player's actions, I don't really think you can just say, oh well they are just injury prone (at least for that instance).  It wasn't like Rondo just fell down on the court and dislocated his own elbow.  Same with Westbrook.

So then in a contact sport the only injuries you count are non-contact ones? So then I guess you wouldn't consider Delonte West or Bradley injury prone since the majority of their issues occurred by another player's actions.

Stop putting words in my mouth.  I only made a statement about injuries that were obviously from another players actions.  I didn't say anything about other injuries not counting.

Did I? I bolded the part that led to that conclusion.

« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2014, 06:29:35 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Rondo missed about 5 minutes with the elbow. And I don't know if you ever saw Bird play, but it really wasn't the same as what's going on with Rondo, unless you don't see a difference between a broken bone in your hand and Bird's back injury.

Rondo's injury allegedly occurred while taking a shower, Bird's while he was doing yardwork.

Not to put words in BBall Tim's mouth, but one is an isolated fluke injury and one is a chronic career compromising/ending ailment. Please tell me you're playing dumb to win an argument.

« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2014, 06:36:10 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Bird had a congenital back problem that was worsened by the abuse it took from all the basketball. He didn't undergo back surgery because of yard work.

« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2014, 06:37:32 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

It doesn't matter what happened in his early days.  His recent history is that he has missed a significant amount of games due to injury.  It doesn't matter how or why the injuries happened.  That's irrelevant.  The only facts that matter are 13+13+44+52+ whatever 6-8 wks amounts to this year.  And it's not going to get any better as he gets older. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2014, 06:38:11 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Not to put words in BBall Tim's mouth, but one is an isolated fluke injury and one is a chronic career compromising/ending ailment. Please tell me you're playing dumb to win an argument.

The point being that both occurred in a fluky fashion. Rondo should be back in a couple of months, but that's what the Wolves thought about Love a couple of years ago too.

The fact remains that Rondo has had 3 significant injuries since 2011. Did he play in 2011? Yes. Was he effective? No. Should he have even played? No. So is his body beginning to breakdown after all the minutes he's logged? Possibly, but to rule it out completely, as Tim often does on all things Rondo, speaks to his bias.

« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2014, 06:40:34 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

It doesn't matter what happened in his early days.  His recent history is that he has missed a significant amount of games due to injury.  It doesn't matter how or why the injuries happened.  That's irrelevant.  The only facts that matter are 13+13+44+52+ whatever 6-8 wks amounts to this year.  And it's not going to get any better as he gets older.

Since about 75% of that time came from one injury it will more likely than not get better as he gets older.

« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2014, 06:41:11 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Bird had a congenital back problem that was worsened by the abuse it took from all the basketball. He didn't undergo back surgery because of yard work.

You should read "Drive". It talks in detail on when the back injury occurred and how it impacted him afterwards.

« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2014, 06:43:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Sorry, but I don't know how anyone can NOT at least be a little skeptical of this shower story?

A grown man slipping in the shower and breaking his hand?

Really?

And it just happens to take place as training camp is set to being??

And by the way I also don't think Rondo was in a fight nor do I think he hurt it on a trampoline.

I think this could be more related to the fact that "hey, the team's going to suck, why win more games than we have to, so let's sit our best player for the first couple weeks, or month, or 2 months." Then, magically Rondo looks healthy in time for the trade deadline and is shipped out.

I think what was written above is a possibility.  Let's not forget about a week ago, Wyc came out to the media and said Rondo is "stubborn, difficult to coach, mentioned Doc Rivers name (i don't know why his name was even mentioned)" that could of upset Rondo and his camp.

There could of been an argument/disagreement. In the end both Wyc/management and Rondo/Agent agreed, to let Rondo stay home for a few months.  From the Celtics perspective , this is ok as Smart gets to show what he has.  If Smart is lost, struggles,is looking like a bust then once Rondo comesback and if he plays well, the team can focus on Rondo as the teams pg for the LR. Smart could be traded. If Smart exceeds expectations and plays like MCW did last season, then the team can look fwd to trade Rondo at the deadline (bc he will not be offered the kind of money/years he is looking for).

For Rondo's camp it's ok for him to sit bc it's up to Smart to prove himself on the court. If he can't, they will now how much the team willl need Rondo.  Also you are getting paid still and there is less chance for him to get reinjured before the trade deadline.

This is absolutely silly.  Rondo, the celtics, and the team gain nothing from RR missing time this year.  This 'conspiracy theory' stuff is a serious stretch.

LOL ....that's funny. TP!

« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2014, 06:45:10 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

The point being that both occurred in a fluky fashion. Rondo should be back in a couple of months, but that's what the Wolves thought about Love a couple of years ago too.

The fact remains that Rondo has had 3 significant injuries since 2011. Did he play in 2011? Yes. Was he effective? No. Should he have even played? No. So is his body beginning to breakdown after all the minutes he's logged? Possibly, but to rule it out completely, as Tim often does on all things Rondo, speaks to his bias.

I don't think the issue is my bias. It's either your memory or your reading comprehension. I'm not sure which, but then again I don't really care.

« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2014, 06:46:05 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Sorry, but I don't know how anyone can NOT at least be a little skeptical of this shower story?

A grown man slipping in the shower and breaking his hand?

Really?

And it just happens to take place as training camp is set to being??

And by the way I also don't think Rondo was in a fight nor do I think he hurt it on a trampoline.

I think this could be more related to the fact that "hey, the team's going to suck, why win more games than we have to, so let's sit our best player for the first couple weeks, or month, or 2 months." Then, magically Rondo looks healthy in time for the trade deadline and is shipped out.

I think what was written above is a possibility.  Let's not forget about a week ago, Wyc came out to the media and said Rondo is "stubborn, difficult to coach, mentioned Doc Rivers name (i don't know why his name was even mentioned)" that could of upset Rondo and his camp.

There could of been an argument/disagreement. In the end both Wyc/management and Rondo/Agent agreed, to let Rondo stay home for a few months.  From the Celtics perspective , this is ok as Smart gets to show what he has.  If Smart is lost, struggles,is looking like a bust then once Rondo comesback and if he plays well, the team can focus on Rondo as the teams pg for the LR. Smart could be traded. If Smart exceeds expectations and plays like MCW did last season, then the team can look fwd to trade Rondo at the deadline (bc he will not be offered the kind of money/years he is looking for).

For Rondo's camp it's ok for him to sit bc it's up to Smart to prove himself on the court. If he can't, they will now how much the team willl need Rondo.  Also you are getting paid still and there is less chance for him to get reinjured before the trade deadline.

This is absolutely silly.  Rondo, the celtics, and the team gain nothing from RR missing time this year.  This 'conspiracy theory' stuff is a serious stretch.

Well, no that's not true.

Maybe the Celts don't necessarily have anything to "gain" from Rondo being out, but it also leads to a rather ideal situation for them.

With Rondo out, they can get a better look at Smart and see what he's capable of.

It's sort of like an evaluation period for the team, leading up to the trade deadline.

See how Smart can do and evaluate how the team does without Rondo as opposed to how they play WITH Rondo.

Then at the trade deadline, re-evaluate your options.

« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2014, 06:47:01 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

You should read "Drive". It talks in detail on when the back injury occurred and how it impacted him afterwards.

So you're claiming that Bird didn't have congenital back issues and that the sole reason he had back problems in his career was because of yard work?