Poll

POLL: Barring further injury, who does Stevens hand the keys over to opening night?

Evan Turner
15 (20.5%)
Avery Bradley
4 (5.5%)
Marcus Smart
44 (60.3%)
The field, including Pressey.
10 (13.7%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Author Topic: POLL: Who brings the ball up now and starts the offense opening night?  (Read 6904 times)

Re: POLL: Who brings the ball up now and starts the offense opening night?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 01:41:31 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
As I said in another thread, I'm going to have to go with Pressey, because Smart's a rookie, and, 6th pick or not, I don't see Stevens starting a rookie on opening night.  Do I wish it would happen?  Yes, of course, but I doubt it.  I didn't consider Turner, though.  I would think that it will be his job this year (or for however long he's here, knowing Danny ::)) to anchor and run the second unit.  How he'll be able to fit with Smart remains to be seen.

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 02:32:48 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Similarly to last years big man line ups, our guard rotation will depend on the size of the opposing teams line up, or where we can create match ups or contain threats.
I actually think there's a good chance that either Smart or Turner starts at PG with Bradley at SG or a combo of all three,  depending on match ups.
Example vs Philly on opening night:

Carter Williams vs Bradley

Hollis Thompson vs Turner
KJ McDaniels vs Green -(love this kid-even if he is undersized for a small forward. I thought we may have considered giving up the James Young pick for a late first rounder+assets and nabbing this guy. He's going to be an animal in the NBA)
Noel vs Sully-which will be very interesting to watch Noel get backed down like a toy in the paint by Sully's bear strength, whilst Sully tries to score and rebound against Noel's length
This is also becauseI think Noel is going to be a power forward for the 76ers so they can play Embid at the Center spot- they're going to try and turn Noel into a Serge Ibaka player next to a Tim Duncan/Marc Gasol kinda big in Embid, with elite touch+finish around the rim with post game and footwork. Will be a knarly defensive duo.
Sims vs Zeller.

I think you might see Green take their SG and Turner take their SF when playing Philly.
I could also see Smart starting at PG with Bradley first guard off the bench to let Smart's size try and bother Carter Williams.
Bradley can then come in and lock down any replacement guards.

We should be able to create some mismatches and also disrupt the size advantages that some teams have as a general rule like Philly.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 05:03:52 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
I'd say Pressey, but the Sixers will start either MCW or Wroten at point. Both are huge and I don't see Phil starting.

I'd go with the majority Smart, AB, JG, Sully, Zeller.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 01:14:01 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Agree with the post above/majority. Though Olynyk was left off the poll...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 06:11:54 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I like the effort Pressey brings and he passes well/handles the offense nicely BUT he is a third string guard at best.  Unless his game has improved quite a bit he should be for emergency only.  If he can outplay Smart then I'd consider Smart a bad pick.
Smart, Bradley, Green, Sully, Zeller
good defensive unit, look to ko to be a good combo pf/c off bench this year

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 07:23:53 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I think Smart is a no brainer here.  I think his game is an exceptionally good complement for Bradley's because:

1) Bradley is more of a jump shooter, while Smart is more of a slasher
2) Both guys are bulldogs on defence
3) Both guys are above average rebounders for their position
4) Smart is more comfortable with the ball in his hands, while Bradley is more comfortable off the ball
5) Smart's size means he can guard the opposing SG, while Bradley can guard the opposing PG

Why not Pressey and Bradley?
1) Pressey and Bradley are both undersized for their position
2) Neither is much of a slasher or a scorer around the basket
3) Thornton is probably the best scorer of those four, so he can make up for Pressey's lack of offense when they are on the court together
4) Pressey's very good decision making is needed more alongside Thornton, who is very much a chucker (on the form of Jordan Crawford)

I just think Bradley + Smart and Thornton + Pressey are the best combinations.

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 07:53:20 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
I think Smart is a no brainer here.  I think his game is an exceptionally good complement for Bradley's because:

1) Bradley is more of a jump shooter, while Smart is more of a slasher
2) Both guys are bulldogs on defence
3) Both guys are above average rebounders for their position
4) Smart is more comfortable with the ball in his hands, while Bradley is more comfortable off the ball
5) Smart's size means he can guard the opposing SG, while Bradley can guard the opposing PG

Why not Pressey and Bradley?
1) Pressey and Bradley are both undersized for their position
2) Neither is much of a slasher or a scorer around the basket
3) Thornton is probably the best scorer of those four, so he can make up for Pressey's lack of offense when they are on the court together
4) Pressey's very good decision making is needed more alongside Thornton, who is very much a chucker (on the form of Jordan Crawford)

I just think Bradley + Smart and Thornton + Pressey are the best combinations.

Agreed

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 07:54:18 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Smart and it's not even a question unless something happens in training camp. You don't draft this guy with the #6 pick and sit him on the bench behind a 3rd string PG. It's one thing to learn from Rondo, it's another to waste development time giving those minutes to Pressey. The AB as a PG experiment died a merciful death last year and Turner isn't a PG.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 07:03:16 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Brad said the guys he looks at as ball-handlers are Smart, Pressey, and Turner.  Sorry Bradley/Thornton.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2014, 08:23:48 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Just thought it might be timely to bump this thread in light of news coming out of today's camp.

Lot of people thought Turner bringing up the ball was a dumb idea. TP to the few of you who didn't.

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2014, 09:40:19 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
I like the effort Pressey brings and he passes well/handles the offense nicely BUT he is a third string guard at best.  Unless his game has improved quite a bit he should be for emergency only.  If he can outplay Smart then I'd consider Smart a bad pick.
Smart, Bradley, Green, Sully, Zeller
good defensive unit, look to ko to be a good combo pf/c off bench this year

I could see Smart or Turner.  I don't see Pressey starting.  Last year was last year, when we had absolutely no other options than Pressey.  He is a 3rd string / emergency type pg.  I like his effort too, but he is overmatched playing against starting pg's in the nba.

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2014, 10:28:44 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I agree with those two being the most likely.

I knew when I started the poll that Smart would be the overwhelming choice for many reasons, but I proffered Turner for 1.his ball handling skills, 2.prior experience at the point including often being the primary ball handler at OSU in his last year when he was named College Player of the Year (Naismith Award) and 3. his hunger, which I think will be off the charts.

I think he will surprise a lot of people. He was in a crappy situation last year through no fault of his own.

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2014, 11:10:36 AM »

Offline IlCapitano

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
Tommy Heinsohn:"Worst nightmare in the NBA is Rondo with a jump shot." B-)

Celtic Pride!

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2014, 11:15:02 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Rondo.

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/10/rajon_rondo_injury_update_bost_29.html

I wouldn't hold my breath on that.  I'd be pretty shocked if he was cleared by then. 

I love the optimism from Rondo but when the reality of the injury sinks in, I think he misses the start of the season.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2014, 11:22:50 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah best case is probably he's around early October. It sucks, but that's what the situation is.