1 (5.9%)
Trade Derrick Favors (tank mode)
0 (0%)
More playing time on Gobert
3 (17.6%)
None of the above
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Who are utah jazz long term centers?  (Read 1827 times)

Who are utah jazz long term centers?
« on: September 24, 2014, 10:31:46 PM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
since having 3 centers who are young and has some potentials
as the poll above
would you draft another big next year and trade kanter? (pf added) and move favors to pf and give gobert a playing time?
or put gobert as a back-up C, put favors as a starting 5 and draft a PF?

trading d-will etc etc; who deserves to stay?
with kanter 12.3 points per game and 7.5 rebounds
favors  13.3 ppg and 8.7 rpg
goberts 2.3 ppg and 3.4 rpg as a rookie

what is utah jazz needs to do?

Re: Who are utah jazz long term centers?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 10:37:17 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I am personally very intrigued with Gobert. I would love to get him, only if it is for Zeller or an asset like that though.Gobert could be a monster or he could be a back up, it sounds like a deal Danny would do.

I also like Biz from CHA

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 10:54:19 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I don't think they have made any decisions yet. Gotta wait and see how things go next season.

If Kanter and Favors continue to struggle to play together, one of them will likely be made available during the season or in the off-season. But, for now, Utah will wait and continue to try and make a Favors (PF) + Kanter (C) pairing work.

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 06:58:20 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
I don't think they have made any decisions yet. Gotta wait and see how things go next season.

If Kanter and Favors continue to struggle to play together, one of them will likely be made available during the season or in the off-season. But, for now, Utah will wait and continue to try and make a Favors (PF) + Kanter (C) pairing work.

i think gobert and favors at the middle is fine...
i don't know but gobert has the height and wingspan
u can't offer 2 bigs a max contract soon or else lose them for nothing like aljef and paulmil

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 07:51:16 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Katner-starting C
Gobert-backup C
Favors-starting PF

C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 08:31:45 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Katner-starting C
Gobert-backup C
Favors-starting PF

This is from the Salt Lake City Tribune:

To that end, Favors’ off-season has been dedicated to expanding the range on his jumper, adding moves with his back to the basket and losing weight. Favors is expected to play center in Snyder’s new offense. Largely gone are the days of him occupying the low post. Much of his time will be spent playing pick-and-roll basketball with the guards.

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 08:56:11 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
As I've been saying, the Jazz view Favors as a center and since he's already signed a contract extension and had a relatively decent season, he's locked up as their starting center. One of Kanter or Gobert will eventually be traded and since Kanter's rookie contract ends after this season, expect it to be him. Not much point in tying up that much money at the center position by re-signing Kanter.

Of course, this is dependent on how everyone performs. If Kanter or Gobert have a season that's more promising than Favors', we might see Favors eventually traded. But suffice it to say, keeping all three guys around for the long haul is not part of their plan.

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 09:09:09 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
does it really matter?  they're the Jazz

I think what they'll end up doing this year, knowing that they'll be back in the lottery with another probably-high pick, is try a lot of different line-ups with their various players to see who's worth keeping and who's tradebait.  I would think it's a fairly safe bet that one of Favors/Kanter/Gobert is traded next offseason as well as one of Burke/Burks.  The only 2 most likely 'safe' players on the roster are Hayward and Exum.  I see them as likely to take BPA in the next draft and move 2 young prospects in possibly separate deals (one frontcourt player, one backcourt) to get a good veteran player under contract for 2-3 years that can help them get to the playoffs within 2 years (which will hopefully entice the vet to re-up on a contract to continue the team progressing).

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 09:16:27 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
They're pretty guard and swingman-heavy over in Utah. There's a logjam at C and basically no 4's except for Trevor Booker. If there was anyway to give them a solid vet like Bass to rotate in along with a young 4 like KO for Kanter, even throw in a pick somewhere as a sweetner, I'd do it. A rotation of Kanter and Zeller I think solves our C concerns and also makes the pieces fit better.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 11:48:28 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
They're pretty guard and swingman-heavy over in Utah. There's a logjam at C and basically no 4's except for Trevor Booker. If there was anyway to give them a solid vet like Bass to rotate in along with a young 4 like KO for Kanter, even throw in a pick somewhere as a sweetner, I'd do it. A rotation of Kanter and Zeller I think solves our C concerns and also makes the pieces fit better.

bass and ko + pick for kanter?

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 07:21:17 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I think Utah would bite.  Olynyk would be a better fit alongside Favors as he can provide better floor spacing.

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 07:44:44 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Maybe if it was Green for Kanter and filler Jazz would bite.

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 08:53:52 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I think Utah would bite.  Olynyk would be a better fit alongside Favors as he can provide better floor spacing.

It's an interesting scenario, especially considering that Utah supposedly pretty high on him in the pre draft process...

The Jazz put Kelly Olynyk through a workout... The guards do something called "The Jazz 100": It's a hundred three-point shots in a short period of time, taking ten from ten different spots in ten different manners on the floor, so some can be coming off a pick and roll, some can be spot-ups where it's kick out to you... For the big guys, they have them do a drill where they take [18-footers]... However, with Kelly Olynyk, the Jazz... had him take threes... [Olynyk told me] no other team had him take more than five threes by the time he had come to Salt Lake City. His next spot, by the way, leaving Salt Lake was to go to Boston... In the workout for the Jazz, Olynyk hits, I think it was, 63 of 100 threes which was like the second-most amount of threes that anyone hit.

http://weareutahjazz.com/lockedonjazz/2013/06/28/tip-off-june-28th-brillance-pure-brillance/