Author Topic: ESPN Suspends Bill Simmons 3 weeks for his Roger Goodell Comments  (Read 21529 times)

Re: ESPN Suspends Bill Simmons 3 weeks for his Roger Goodell Comments
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2014, 01:36:33 AM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
Somebody important at ESPN has clearly never heard of the Streisand Effect. Simmons has to be cackling like a madman right now; his rant would never have gotten the exposure it's getting now, if it were just buried on his pod.

Re: Bill Simmons suspended by ESPN after daring ESPN to suspend him
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2014, 06:49:18 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
already a thread on this
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2014, 07:39:17 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Bill Simmons and Grantland are the best things about ESPN.

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2014, 08:12:50 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 34
ESPN is ridiculous

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2014, 04:56:25 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Well, Bill certainly got what he asked for, quite literally.   He probably didn't need to add the profanities to his tirade. And again, daring your boss to suspend you is a bit dumb, and makes it entirely unsurprising he was in fact suspended.

But at the end of the day, ESPN once again proves they have absolutely zero integrity as a network. Time and time again ESPN falls prey to the money, and eschews taking the high road for profits. I wonder how low ESPN really has to stoop to finally see an impact.

Well, not that I watch a lot of ESPN anymore, but I certainly will not be watching them for the next 3 weeks. You are being put on MY suspension list, ESPN (including parent network ABC).

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2014, 04:58:28 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
And to be honest, Bill Simmons should simply quit ESPN. I think he is big enough now to get his money elsewhere.   He doesn't need ESPN.

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2014, 05:08:21 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
And to be honest, Bill Simmons should simply quit ESPN. I think he is big enough now to get his money elsewhere.   He doesn't need ESPN.

If he leaves he'll be taking a pretty severe paycut. You don't become a multimillionaire writing for Sports Illustrated. And that's even before you talk about the other perks -- you don't get free reign to curate your own website with a Network's press credentials at Deadspin, and you don't get to pitch something like 30 for 30 at Bleacher Report. You definitely don't get to do the halftime show for half of the NBA playoffs so on, so forth.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2014, 05:17:26 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

If he leaves he'll be taking a pretty severe paycut. You don't become a multimillionaire writing for Sports Illustrated. And that's even before you talk about the other perks -- you don't get free reign to curate your own website with a Network's press credentials at Deadspin, and you don't get to pitch something like 30 for 30 at Bleacher Report. You definitely don't get to do the halftime show for half of the NBA playoffs so on, so forth.

Although, NBC Sports Network & Fox Sports 1 don't have the live sports properties of ESPN, they would salivate at the possibility of bringing Bill Simmons on board.  Someone would toss him a boatload of money. 

Those two networks are barely fledgling and bringing a guy like Simmons onboard would be a huge boon for either one as they try to establish themselves as a legit rival to ESPN (which neither is at the moment).   They would promise him the moon.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2014, 05:22:05 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
It's possible. I think that would be a situation that in practice would turn out not too dissimilar to having Hunter S. Thompson on Page Two, though -- not really a good fit, but a company taking a chance on a name brand in order to bring some notoriety.

Not that I think there are vary many parallels to be drawn between Glenn Beck and Simmons, but I think that Simmons without ESPN would be akin to Beck after he left Fox News.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2014, 05:30:13 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
It's possible. I think that would be a situation that in practice would turn out not too dissimilar to having Hunter S. Thompson on Page Two, though -- not really a good fit, but a company taking a chance on a name brand in order to bring some notoriety.

Not that I think there are vary many parallels to be drawn between Glenn Beck and Simmons, but I think that Simmons without ESPN would be akin to Beck after he left Fox News.

Page 2 was taking a chance on Thompson when he was well into the back nine of his career.  His cache with the public was nowhere where it had once been by the time he jumped onboard Page 2.

Simmons is, arguably, at his peak.   Someone like FOX would do everything in their power to boast Simmons profile. 

Page 2 in the early 2000s was some pretty awesome stuff, in retrospect.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2014, 05:32:21 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Idk....I don't think Simmons needs ESPN to be Simmons, but I think Beck needed Fox News to be Beck. I think. I'm not a huge follower of Beck.

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2014, 05:34:48 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Page 2 was taking a chance on Thompson when he was well into the back nine of his career.  His cache with the public was nowhere where it had once been by the time he jumped onboard Page 2.

Simmons is, arguably, at his peak.   Someone like FOX would do everything in their power to boast Simmons profile. 

Page 2 in the early 2000s was some pretty awesome stuff, in retrospect.

I would definitely argue with the peak, at least as a writer. Not as a personality/head/Sports Personality TM.

Page 2 was awesome. Back when ESPN thought no one was really ever going to care about sports writing on the internet.

Idk....I don't think Simmons needs ESPN to be Simmons, but I think Beck needed Fox News to be Beck. I think. I'm not a huge follower of Beck.

Simmons needed ESPN to be Simmons. He'd be off writing jokes for Jimmy Kimmel Live or something without them. I pay very little attention to Beck, but I've noticed that his national profile has fallen off a lot post-Fox (which, for those of us who try to avoid him, is nice).

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2014, 05:40:07 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
How much would TNT pay Bill to do their NBA games? NBC? How much would they pay him to write his stuff on their website? Sunday night football anyone? Super Bowl? Bill might be a basketball guy more than anything, but he doesn't need to pigeon hole himself.

And frankly, I'm not a huge fan of his, but he has made it big time.   I just think he could get his money elsewhere. People know who he is.

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2014, 08:48:27 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Thought this might have some relevance here:

The Associated Press @AP
BREAKING: Law enforcement official says he sent video to attention of NFL security chief Jeffrey Miller.

The Associated Press @AP
MORE: Law enforcement official says he sent Ray Rice video to the attention of NFL security chief Jeffrey Miller: http://apne.ws/1roEHqv

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2014, 09:35:40 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Thought this might have some relevance here:

The Associated Press @AP
BREAKING: Law enforcement official says he sent video to attention of NFL security chief Jeffrey Miller.

The Associated Press @AP
MORE: Law enforcement official says he sent Ray Rice video to the attention of NFL security chief Jeffrey Miller: http://apne.ws/1roEHqv

That is pretty big news.  Goodell just got his fall guy.