Author Topic: ESPN Suspends Bill Simmons 3 weeks for his Roger Goodell Comments  (Read 21667 times)

Re: ESPN Suspends Bill Simmons 3 weeks for his Roger Goodell Comments
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 09:58:37 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I heard nothing wrong. It is a podcast for heavens sake. ESPN is just covering for one of their biggest investments. Simmons thinks Goodell is a liar. Big deal.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 10:07:37 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The N part of ESPN is not news anymore but the E is a big Entainment.

Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the N stands for Network.

Hahaha... this made me chuckle

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 10:12:09 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
The N part of ESPN is not news anymore but the E is a big Entainment.

Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the N stands for Network.

Hahaha... this made me chuckle

You're all mistaken. N stands for NEBRON
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 10:12:54 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Going straight to ESPN to tell them they are suspended from my house for 6 weeks. And that it won't hurt because they used to be a good network and now they aren't.

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 10:14:30 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Going straight to ESPN to tell them they are suspended from my house for 6 weeks. And that it won't hurt because they used to be a good network and now they aren't.

So you're definitely not watching them on the night of September 29?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 10:15:37 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I heard nothing wrong. It is a podcast for heavens sake. ESPN is just covering for one of their biggest investments. Simmons thinks Goodell is a liar. Big deal.

My guess is they specifically warned him to watch it with the Goodell talk, which is why he called them out immediately after doing it, and that's the real reason for the smackdown.

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 10:24:49 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

So you're definitely not watching them on the night of September 29?
Watching the Pats is a little like watching the Red Sox these days. I do not feel a strong need to submit myself to that kind of torture.

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 10:56:19 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
I don;t understand how Simmons got suspended but Keith Olberman doesn't.   Keith has been calling out Goodell for a month now.  Rightfully so mind you. 

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 11:06:38 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I don;t understand how Simmons got suspended but Keith Olberman doesn't.   Keith has been calling out Goodell for a month now.  Rightfully so mind you.

Probably because Simmons has much more pull with sports fans than Keith Olberman.

That said, I don't think he leaves The Worldwide Leader.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Bill Simmons suspended by ESPN after daring ESPN to suspend him
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 11:25:14 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/24/bill-simmons-suspended-by-espn-after-daring-company-to-suspend-him/

bill Simmons has been suspended by ESPN -- after ripping into NFL commish Roger Goodell on his podcast and then DARING the network to punish him for it.

Simmons basically put his bosses on blast -- after trashing Goodell and then saying, "I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says I’m in trouble for anything I say about Roger Goodell, because if one person says that to me, I’m going public. You leave me alone. The commissioner’s a liar and I get to talk about that on my podcast. Thank you.”

Re: Bill Simmons suspended by ESPN after daring ESPN to suspend him
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 11:33:49 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
bold move

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 12:45:29 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Probably because Simmons has much more pull with sports fans than Keith Olberman.

Bill Simmons is like Marc Cuban. He'll get fined, suspended, but he's in too deep with a position that while it can be annoying, and frustrating, the pros far out weigh the cons.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2014, 12:49:52 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Bill Simmons is like Marc Cuban. He'll get fined, suspended, but he's in too deep with a position that while it can be annoying, and frustrating, the pros far out weigh the cons.

Pretty much. ESPN/Grantland isn't the best sports writing on the internet, but it is the best sports writing that a large audience of people read on the internet. There's a reason they poach talent from other places, rather than having talent poached.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2014, 01:03:47 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Pretty much. ESPN/Grantland isn't the best sports writing on the internet, but it is the best sports writing that a large audience of people read on the internet. There's a reason they poach talent from other places, rather than having talent poached.

Well and it has something over the best niche markets. I don't think Id say there are better basketball writers that do what Zach Lowe does, but I'm not a huge fan of their football coverage.

But ESPN has just given Simmons a gigantic sandbox. Nobody else will give him that audience, with those resources, with that talent pool to do what he wants with. It's gotta be the best writing gig on the Internet.

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2014, 01:07:30 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
And also that three week suspension is the equivalent of stopping a college player from playing a half game for conduct unbecoming or something. It's a slap on the wrist, a timeout from daddy.