Author Topic: ESPN Suspends Bill Simmons 3 weeks for his Roger Goodell Comments  (Read 21528 times)

ESPN Suspends Bill Simmons 3 weeks for his Roger Goodell Comments
« on: September 24, 2014, 08:33:46 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/09/bill_simmons_suspended_by_espn_day_after_rant_calling_roger_goodell_a_liar.html

ESPN just suspended Bill Simmons after he really tore into Goodell on his weekly "Guess the Lines" podcast.  He also said on the podcast that if he was suspended for his comments, he would go public with something that would be harmful to the network.  It was implied that the thing was that ESPN has proof Goodell saw the Ray Rice tape prior to the first suspension.

I am kind of surprised that ESPN would basically try to cover for Goodell and his awful actions as of late.  It seems to be backfiring though and will bring a ton of attention to the issue.  It hurts even more considering Ray Rice was only suspended two games and even worse, Stephen A. Smith said this the other day:

"What I’ve tried to employ the female members of my family — some of who you all met and talked to and what have you — is that ... let’s make sure we don’t do anything to provoke wrong actions, because if I come — or somebody else come, whether it’s law enforcement officials, your brother or the fellas that you know — if we come after somebody has put their hands on you, it doesn’t negate the fact that they already put their hands on you."

And was only suspended 1 week.  So telling a woman that she's asking for a beating is only worthy of a 1 week suspension, but saying that anybody who covers up domestic violence is a terrible person and if they lie about it, then that is unforgivable gets suspended for 3 times as long?  What are you doing ESPN?

So I was just forced to watch this morning's First Take. A) I'll never feel clean again B) I'm now aware that I can provoke my own beating.
9:39 AM - 25 Jul 2014
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 09:08:18 PM by Quetzalcoatl »

Re: ESPN Suspends Bill Simmons 3 weeks for his Roger Goodell Comments
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 08:43:39 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Maybe it's because this isn't the first time Bill has been suspended. I don't know if Smith had been suspended previously but isn't this Bill's 3rd time?

Regardless, I'm curious how they're suspending him. When is he going to appear on ESPN? Or does it carry over to Grantland?

EDIT: The audio for those interested: Simmons Goes Off

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 08:55:30 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
#FreeSimmons

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 08:56:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I haven't listened to the podcast, but this couldn't have been helpful:

He also said on the podcast that if he was suspended for his comments, he would go public with something that would be harmful to the network.

In general, if you know you're crossing the line, and then dare your employer to suspend you (while taking a shot at them in the process), it's going to result in a negative result.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 09:01:40 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
If I were Bill, I'd leave ESPN. He can't be an effective analyst there while being a mouthpiece of their propaganda.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 09:03:10 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Time for CelticsBlog to make an offer and bring Bill Simmons to staff.

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 09:04:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
If I were Bill, I'd leave ESPN. He can't be an effective analyst there while being a mouthpiece of their propaganda.

He's been gearing up for that for years already.  Grantland was the next phase in that process.

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
ESPN's mantra has always been to kick the buttocks of the NBA, NFL, MLB and LeBron.  It is rare when they say something even remotely critical of them.  Not to mention they are in the business of creating stories not reporting them.   The N part of ESPN is not news anymore but the E is a big Entainment.

Good for Bill, if this is true.

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 09:15:18 PM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
Wow, I just lost a lot of respect for ESPN.
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 09:24:59 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
The N part of ESPN is not news anymore but the E is a big Entainment.

Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the N stands for Network.

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 09:36:29 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
BTW I'm very excited for ESPN to find itself in a similar situation as the NFL by punishing a defense of Ray Rice's actions less severely than a criticism of the league's handling of them.  Couldn't happen to a better bunch of soulless shills.

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 09:38:39 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
ESPN's mantra has always been to kick the buttocks of the NBA, NFL, MLB and LeBron.  It is rare when they say something even remotely critical of them.  Not to mention they are in the business of creating stories not reporting them.   The N part of ESPN is not news anymore but the E is a big Entainment.

Good for Bill, if this is true.

The "N" never stood for "news."  It's always been an initialism for Entertainment and Sports Programming Network.

Edit: didn't notice fwf already pointed this out.

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 09:45:03 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103

I'd guess that he will leave before too long.  He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that would just lay down and take that if he feels it's unjust.

I really liked his stuff back when he was the BSG on Digital City Boston, and then when he went to ESPN he seemed sort of defanged and declawed for awhile, but slowly, he's been getting back to the less restrained version of who he is, which I personally find far preferable.

I'll be a little surprised if he's still there in a year.  Granted, they probably pay him more than anyone else would, but still, I expect he could make a handsome living elsewhere.  He's national now, not the youngish regional upstart from Boston.  If he feels like his punishment is unjust, I hope he says screw 'em and breaks away.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 09:52:47 PM by Mencius »

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 09:57:12 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
ESPN is a joke.

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 09:57:24 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
So Bill Simmons is suspended longer than Ray Rice was suspended.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur