Author Topic: Tank City USA - Boston  (Read 26245 times)

Re: Tank City USA - Boston
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2014, 02:57:03 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
This forum is diseased!!!  all you people that are coaches for your kids teams, try forcing this tanking garbage down their throats and see how long they'll chew on it before they puke it back in your face or don't want any part of you. get out there and lose kid and someday you'll be a Boston Celtic!!!!

I kind of agree. Our team is bad -- they'll lose plenty of games on their own, without us rooting for failure.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2014, 04:39:02 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I will watch all the games and hope they win.

Ainge will watch all the games and hope they "develop" and "improve" which means he wants a draft pick.

It's Danny's call.....we watch numerous starting centers go by the boards and he takes Zeller. Honest to Pete, brother...what is he telling ya?

I got a lot of joy watching Gerald Wallace, Brandon Bass, Jeff Green(24) and Jordan Crawford(15)  beat Miami last year. Ainge wanted to lose that game. I win, Ainge loses...how long is that gonna last?

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2014, 05:55:07 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
This forum is diseased!!!  all you people that are coaches for your kids teams, try forcing this tanking garbage down their throats and see how long they'll chew on it before they puke it back in your face or don't want any part of you. get out there and lose kid and someday you'll be a Boston Celtic!!!!

I kind of agree. Our team is bad -- they'll lose plenty of games on their own, without us rooting for failure.

That's the way to go. There's nothing to gain from rooting for your team to lose other than a slightly sleazy feeling and the satisfaction of being able to patiently explain to others that high draft picks are better than low draft picks, like that's a secret on the level of Jimmy Hoffa's burial site.

« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2014, 06:01:00 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

That's the way to go. There's nothing to gain from rooting for your team to lose other than a slightly sleazy feeling and the satisfaction of being able to patiently explain to others that high draft picks are better than low draft picks, like that's a secret on the level of Jimmy Hoffa's burial site.

Agreed. And it's not like the math behind high draft picks being more successful than medium-high draft picks is reassuring enough to really stand behind.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2014, 08:49:14 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2014, 08:59:19 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

We driving the biggest tank in town dis year.    ;)

« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2014, 12:33:14 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Since the current weighted lottery system was introduced in 1990, only THREE of the teams with the worst record in the NBA have actually gone on to win the #1 overall pick.  3/24= 12.5%.  Which conversely means that you have an 87.5% chance of losing, even when you have the best odds possible from tanking to the very bottom of the NBA standings.

Ok, so maybe history will correct itself to the actual lotto odds.  A 75% of losing the lottery honestly does not sound that great to me.  What's the point of tanking when with the Celtics typical luck, we're more likely to lose the lotto than anything else?

The Celtics didn't even need to try to tank and they still had the 5th worst record in the NBA last year.  I think they should try to win what they can and develop the young guys and see who will step up and be a future star for us.  Will it be Olynyk, will it be Zeller, will it be Sully or Smart?  Who knows right now. 

But if nobody steps up, they will be so bad, that the C's won't NEED to intentionally tank to be one of the worst teams in the NBA.
Not to quibble, but no it doesn't mean that.  Odds stay the same regardless of past outcomes.  The team with the worst record has a 25% chance of the top pick, a 75% chance of not getting it.

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2014, 04:38:58 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
almost every successful team in the league has been built off home-grown young players. almost all of those teams fielded poor records their first few years. the c's aren't terrible, as many would suggest, they're just young, and their best player has been injured. i really don't see why this process is so painful for some. the c's will take their lumps, but it will make them better, and we'll look back on these years fondly, as they were the first part of a longer process.
and keep in mind that about half the franchises in this league are incompetent, which makes our job easier; we have good ownership and a good front office. most teams aren't swinging trades like the zeller and bogans trades because their owners don't want to spend the money to take on salary, and their GMs don't think out-of-the-box like ainge does.

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2014, 08:56:57 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
The C's have not made a single 'tank' move this summer.   The moves made were small and only served to add assets and make the team a little younger.  They toyed with swinging for the fences (Love) but didn't quite have the ammunition to get it done.  They aren't tanking -- they just are who they are -- a young team that will struggle to win consistently.  They are not capable of winning a championship this year and unlikely to be a playoff contender.  Is that tanking or is that just a lack of talent/experience?   Either way, you can be pessimistic about the season or you can find silver linings.  Some here will be so optimisic that they will actually believe that the C's have a shot at doing something special (make a deep playoff run).  My hope is that their current crop of assets become increasingly valuable.   

We know that Green and Wallace become more tradeable by diminishing their contracts another year.  We know that Bass is a nice, fairly priced piece in a trade.  And we have potential growth to look forward to in Sully, KO, Smart, Young, Zeller and AB.  And you never know -- Turner, Vitor, Powell, Thornton can all potentially increase their value.  Hopefully Rondo will return and display leadership and excellence.

Like always, I'm looking forward to the season.  Rooting for Clips to falter, Sixers to make the playoffs (get their #1) and for the C's to make progress.   Next year's Celtics pick is OK either way -- if they get a top ten pick, that will be great; if they contend for a playoff spot, that will be great too.

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2014, 11:34:13 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
As always, I'll be rooting for the Celtics to win every time they step on the floor. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2014, 12:11:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As always, I'll be rooting for the Celtics to win every time they step on the floor.
This

« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2014, 04:40:56 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
almost every successful team in the league has been built off home-grown young players. almost all of those teams fielded poor records their first few years. the c's aren't terrible, as many would suggest, they're just young, and their best player has been injured. i really don't see why this process is so painful for some. the c's will take their lumps, but it will make them better, and we'll look back on these years fondly, as they were the first part of a longer process.
and keep in mind that about half the franchises in this league are incompetent, which makes our job easier; we have good ownership and a good front office. most teams aren't swinging trades like the zeller and bogans trades because their owners don't want to spend the money to take on salary, and their GMs don't think out-of-the-box like ainge does.

That's true-and I agree with everything you've said.
The one thing the league's successful teams also have are franchise players which we don't have (unless Smart becomes one and Rondo gets better).
And those are drafted by championship teams -or NBA finals teams, for the most part.
We need a franchise guy some how, some way.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2014, 08:23:47 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

TP

I could not imagine ever hoping the team lost, I'd feel ashamed.

« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2014, 08:49:54 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I agree - can't imagine wanting this team to lose.  If they do because they're not very good, so be it, but I can't understand not wanting to see the team win. 

as much as the team's talent level is knocked here and their likelihood of winning games is much less than in the latter part of the PP/KG years, at least this team doesn't mail it in like those prior years.  when these guys lose it's not from a lack of effort.  that I can deal with.  losing because players don't put in their best effort is intolerable

« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2014, 10:22:57 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I agree - can't imagine wanting this team to lose.  If they do because they're not very good, so be it, but I can't understand not wanting to see the team win. 

as much as the team's talent level is knocked here and their likelihood of winning games is much less than in the latter part of the PP/KG years, at least this team doesn't mail it in like those prior years.  when these guys lose it's not from a lack of effort.  that I can deal with.  losing because players don't put in their best effort is intolerable
Or losing because that is the plan coming from the front office like during that ML Carr year or latein 2007 when Danny and Doc were holding out a healthy Al Jefferson and Paul Pierce until after they clinched the league's 2nd worst record. I found those years disgusting to watch.