Author Topic: Tank City USA - Boston  (Read 26249 times)

Tank City USA - Boston
« on: September 24, 2014, 06:13:49 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Looking at the roster there are zero star players on this squad. Rondo is a solid role player and Marcus Banks 2.0 is an underwhelming draft choice to say the least. Sullinger looks good since he lost some weight and I'm encouraged that Zeller gained some. But something is clearly missing that thing is what's known as a legitimate star player in the NBA.

So how can Boston attract one? Free Agency? Absolutely not! With the cold weather and lack of nightlife not to mention high taxes on top of that it's the kiss of death. Trades? Maybe. But who would trade a KD? No my friends the best way to do this, the right way for a mid market team like Boston would be to hop on board and travel to a place called Tank City. At tank city no one cares what you do this year in terms of wins, as long as you turn potential into titles down the road. The Sixers are currently one of the best franchises in the NBA. Why? Who else can match that potential? Embiid Noel Saric MCW? That right there is one of the best collection of prospects since OKC. They did it the right way too. Boston tried a short cut last year and found themselves shot in the foot when they were at .500 at one point during the year. That's not going to cut it.

You want to go to Tank City. You Need to go to Tank City! Tank City is absolutely the right avenue to go down. Your prize? Karl Towns? Okafor? The possibilities are endless. But one thing is for sure if you finish the worst then a top 3 pick is yours! 13 wins or less is all we need!!

Re: Tank City USA - Boston
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 06:21:32 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
The Sixers are currently one of the best franchises in the NBA. Why? Who else can match that potential? Embiid Noel Saric MCW? That right there is one of the best collection of prospects since OKC.

Interesting that one can gain the mantle of "best franchises in the NBA" when three of one's four best players have never played a single minute in the NBA.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 06:27:02 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I don't want to go to Tank City, but I do want to go to Funky Town lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06ZXiiicnLU

But seriously no need to be so negative. I believe we're a playoff team if Rondo stays healthy and leads this team.

I believe that Zeller will develop into a solid Center with good coaching and an All-Star PG (See Rondo).

I believe that Sully and KO will be even better than last year.

I believe that Rondo-AB-Smart-Green will form a perimeter defense among the best in the league.

This team is not headed for Tank City. And with a playoff berth, a competitive and feisty team that plays every night - we can perhaps attract another Star to play with Rondo.

Can't count this team out. This is Boston. :)

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 06:56:21 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
The Sixers are currently one of the best franchises in the NBA. Why? Who else can match that potential? Embiid Noel Saric MCW? That right there is one of the best collection of prospects since OKC.

Interesting that one can gain the mantle of "best franchises in the NBA" when three of one's four best players have never played a single minute in the NBA.

I think you've hit upon the essence of his player evaluation methodology.

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 07:06:31 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Though I despise the idea of going the "tank city" route, I do sorta see where you're coming from in the sense that, I do wish DA would pick a certain direction.

Either tank OR try to form a respectable, playoff caliber team.

I could be wrong but I get the impression that Danny Ainge is trying to toe the line between both directions which is a huge mistake because that leads to likely missing the playoffs AND a top 3 pick.

Don't get me wrong, if I were a Sixers fan I'd probably have a picture of their GM's face on a dartboard in  my house, but I do give him some credit.

At least you know where he stands which is essentially, his team is going to royally suck the next 3-5 years and then become really good when age and mileage start to catch up to Lebron (of course, that's if Lebron ever quits the….ahem….training supplements he uses.)

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 07:11:10 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
But seriously no need to be so negative.

Don't confuse realism for negativity, Sunshine.

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 07:21:47 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
But seriously no need to be so negative.

Don't confuse realism for negativity, Sunshine.

His post is more negative than "realistic".

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 07:48:30 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
We have a much better team this year than last year.
And we won't be tanking.

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 07:51:04 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Though I despise the idea of going the "tank city" route, I do sorta see where you're coming from in the sense that, I do wish DA would pick a certain direction.

Either tank OR try to form a respectable, playoff caliber team.

I could be wrong but I get the impression that Danny Ainge is trying to toe the line between both directions which is a huge mistake because that leads to likely missing the playoffs AND a top 3 pick.

I think Ainge would prefer to maximize the probability of being a respectable playoff-caliber team with the constraint of not paying luxury tax and not trading a first-round pick, unless either of those involves acquiring a legitimate star.

Not being a winning team is by far the largest impediment to bringing in a star next summer to pair with Rondo.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 07:51:19 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

It's also interesting that the Franchise's 4 best players consist of one player with a back injury and foot injury in six moths. One has had two ACL injuries, one wont play for two years, and the last one is a average PG, on a below average team that won ROY in a way below average rookie class.

I also hate it when people call Smart, Banks 2.0. Kid hasn't even played yet. And I doubt Coach K would bring him in to practice with Team USA if he was a bust like Banks. So there could be more to this kid than we have seen.

I do agree we need to tank this season. But to say 76ers is better is a bit far fetch. Especially when the 76ers tanking again in a year were it's full of bigs and the last two drafts they took high caliber bigs with 3 out of the four picks. They should have taken Exum if they were super happy with MCW and were going to tank with Okafor and Towns in this years draft. Not smart planning. 

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 07:59:44 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Yeah, the Marcus Banks 2.0 thing is old... And the OP is the only one who uses the term.

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 08:14:54 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Have to agree with CB---only way we ever win a title again, is if we land a superstar, and I mean a true superstar, in the draft!  No ones giving them away in trades nowadays! 
Even if all of our top six players developed to their greatest potential, I seriously doubt THAT team could win a title in the current league!  Now if RR returns to his previous best, Sully becomes Wes Unseld or Charles Barkley, KO is the next Dirk, MSmart the next DWade, and Zeller the next McHale---yeah, OK--now we're talking!  Anyone see that happening???  Me either!
And CB is right.  In the current NBA climate we're getting no great young stars thru Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ency or trades, and that leaves the draft.  The only way you're gonna score a great player is with a top three pick!
You can't win if you don't play the (tanking) game! Unless of course the commish wants you to!----Yeah, forget that too!

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 08:37:48 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Have to agree with CB---only way we ever win a title again, is if we land a superstar, and I mean a true superstar, in the draft!  No ones giving them away in trades nowadays! 
Even if all of our top six players developed to their greatest potential, I seriously doubt THAT team could win a title in the current league!  Now if RR returns to his previous best, Sully becomes Wes Unseld or Charles Barkley, KO is the next Dirk, MSmart the next DWade, and Zeller the next McHale---yeah, OK--now we're talking!  Anyone see that happening???  Me either!
And CB is right.  In the current NBA climate we're getting no great young stars thru ****ency or trades, and that leaves the draft.  The only way you're gonna score a great player is with a top three pick!
You can't win if you don't play the (tanking) game! Unless of course the commish wants you to!----Yeah, forget that too!

The problem with this line of thinking however and the reason why I am ultimately resentful of the "tank talk" is because back in 2005/06, I don't think anyone thought we had a chance to get KG/Ray and win a title in 2008.

Yes, I agree getting back on top of the NBA is like finding a needle in a haystack, but also don't forget the league's players are very finicky and thus, the landscape of the league can change at the drop of a hat.

Like from 2006 to 2007, though the imminent future of the Celts seems bleak, it could look a lot different a year from now because of unforeseen circumstances.

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 09:08:23 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52

You're looking at this all wrong. You're viewing it from a 2014-2015 perspective. Of course you're correct in that regard but let's be honest. Which core would you rather have? Which one has more upside? With two legit center prospects, a [dang] good 3 prospect and the reigning ROY you would be lying if you didn't choose Philly. All you need to do is admit that there is one way to go about this. Hop on board the Tank City express!

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 09:09:05 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Even if all of our top six players developed to their greatest potential, I seriously doubt THAT team could win a title in the current league!  Now if RR returns to his previous best, Sully becomes Wes Unseld or Charles Barkley, KO is the next Dirk, MSmart the next DWade, and Zeller the next McHale---yeah, OK--now we're talking!  Anyone see that happening???  Me either!And CB is right.  In the current NBA climate we're getting no great young stars thru ****ency or trades, and that leaves the draft.  The only way you're gonna score a great player is with a top three pick!

Me I see it happening. Call me a harcore optimist, but hey, ANYTHING IS POSSSSIIIBBLEE
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;