Author Topic: Bledsoe re-signs with Suns for 5 years/$70 million.  (Read 6122 times)

Re: Bledsoe re-signs with Suns for 5 years/$70 million.
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 01:20:41 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Saw this on Canis Hoopus last week:

And the prognosis on his injury going forward is not good: Phoenix's medical staff has put a 9 year shelf life on his knees, with a 50% chance of a major injury reoccuring in that time.

Then why in the world would you give him a five year 70 million dollar contract?!

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 02:06:19 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
See I don't understand why the Suns didn't just want someone like Greg Monroe on their team. Dragic did really well without Bledsoe, and now that they have an influx of point guards, and IT stating that he would like to be starting, there is definitely going to be an logam of minutes especially with Ennis on board. I can see Ennis seeing a few minutes, and being sent to D-League, but once he at least seems ready, who is going to get their minutes cut?

They did "really well" with just Dragic, but they were undeniably better with both Bledsoe and Dragic.  And they didn't want Monroe because he doesn't fit their system.

Thomas has said he's fine with whatever role he gets, which will more than likely be the sixth man off the bench.  Thomas wanting to start isn't really an issue here, especially since he's not better than either Dragic or Bledsoe.  Ennis won't see any meaningful time; the team's not in any position to place his development as one of their main priorities.

If he proves he can play in the NBA, Ennis will more than likely end up being shipped out in a trade sooner than later.  Otherwise, if he sucks, they'll probably just retain him as cheap guard insurance.

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 02:33:09 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

And the prognosis on his injury going forward is not good: Phoenix's medical staff has put a 9 year shelf life on his knees, with a 50% chance of a major injury reoccuring in that time.

Then why in the world would you give him a five year 70 million dollar contract?!

Probably because a comment on Minnesota Timberwolves blog about medical diagnoses of a Phoenix Suns player by Phoenix Suns trainers is not likely to be correct.

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 06:49:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Am I the only one that thinks this is a good contract for both people. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 07:06:31 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Wow good for Bledsoe but bad for Phoenix..i wouldn't give him that many years and cash
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 07:31:36 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Dragic is going to want the same

If Rondo isn't back next year and if Smart isn't quite yet ready for "prime time," then Dragic would be a great target for the Celts.

Dragic really likes Phoenix.  He expects he'll have an easy contract negotiation.  We'll see what happens, but it seems like he'd be willing to take a little less to stay.

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 09:13:41 AM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

Probably because the Suns FO doesn't rely on T-Wolves fan posts with uncited "medical reports" to make personnel decisions.

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 09:22:46 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Probably because the Suns FO doesn't rely on T-Wolves fan posts with uncited "medical reports" to make personnel decisions.

This is, perhaps, the biggest difference between the Suns FO and the Minny FO.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 09:32:27 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Given that Rich Paul was asking for the 4/5 year max and the inital offer was 4/48 its pretty clear which side blinked here. Pheonix was almost always going to negotiate up a little, it was Bledsoe's camp that was demanding the moon.

Now finally during crunch time they said "can you throw us some more per year".

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 11:12:20 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Am I the only one that thinks this is a good contract for both people.
I think it's a good deal too.

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 11:15:10 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Wow good for Bledsoe but bad for Phoenix..i wouldn't give him that many years and cash
agreed.

a bit much for Bledsoe.  probably would have been best served in a S&T with Detroit to acquire Monroe if possible.  Dragic seemed capable of being the starting PG without Bledsoe's help

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 11:17:48 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't see Bledsoe ever becoming so good that this deal is ever viewed as a bargain but I think it is ripe with potential to be a cap killing contract if Bledsoe's penchant for missing large portions of the year with injuries continues. Bledsoe needs to stay healthy and produce in order for Phoenix to get some value out of this, if he doesn't, this could set back Phoenix some just when they seemed to be taking the steps back to respectability

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2014, 07:01:18 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Well, I can't speak for Phoenix, but, seeing as their medical staff is simply second to none, perhaps they're banking on their ability to keep Bledsoe's knee(s)(wait, is it the same knee or the other one?) healthy and intact for at least the duration of this contract.  I wonder why guys like him, Westbrook, and Rose keep having knee injuries?  To me, it screams of steroid use, especially when you consider their respective athletic abilities.  Thank god that Rondo's injury wasn't a complete tear like Rose's.  That was scary. 

If I was Phoenix, however, I would have only offered such a deal on the condition that Bledsoe receives the Kobe knee procedure/treatment, which is what we should have asked of Jermaine O'Neal in 2010.  It did wonders for JO, and the Suns' doctors kept him in tip-top shape.  Seems fair to me, and both parties definitely benefit.  It could do wonders for Bledsoe.

Question - would it have been weird if Bledsoe was our point guard and we still drafted Smart because of the whole, "We've got a quarterback controversy with Bledsoe?" ;)  I was just wondering.  Btw, to me, Bledsoe is head and shoulders above John Wall.  Does anyone agree?  I wonder if the 2010 draft was redone, who would have been the first point guard picked.  Even with the knee issues, I'm taking Bledsoe.  Okay, everyone, tell me I'm nuts ;D   

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2014, 07:11:55 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Westbrook's knee issues are a direct result of the Beverley incident.  He never missed a single basketball game prior to that, dating back to high school.

Also, he injured his knee exactly once.  The subsequent surgeries after the initial were to correct issues from the first surgery.

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2014, 04:37:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I don't see Bledsoe ever becoming so good that this deal is ever viewed as a bargain but I think it is ripe with potential to be a cap killing contract if Bledsoe's penchant for missing large portions of the year with injuries continues. Bledsoe needs to stay healthy and produce in order for Phoenix to get some value out of this, if he doesn't, this could set back Phoenix some just when they seemed to be taking the steps back to respectability
For all this notion that he is always hurt he has missed 72 games in his career and 39 of those were last year, though he finished the year healthy.  Granted that isn't great, but it isn't super awful either.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip