Author Topic: Wyc: I don't know how coachable (Rondo) is  (Read 15984 times)

Re: Wyc: I don't know how coachable (Rondo) is
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2014, 08:11:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
From Scott Souza:

#Celtics president Danny Ainge: you need players w/ cache to attract other stars in #NBA. Rajon Rondo is our player (w/ cache) to get those.

I think that Ainge's very last choice will be the long rebuild that trading Rondo will almost necessarily mean, UNLESS, Rondo can get us that player with cache that will attract other players.

There aren't many of those around. I don't see it. Rondo stays unless Ainge is blown away.

Who has Rondo helped bring into the team so far?

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2014, 08:14:55 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
From Scott Souza:

#Celtics president Danny Ainge: you need players w/ cache to attract other stars in #NBA. Rajon Rondo is our player (w/ cache) to get those.

I think that Ainge's very last choice will be the long rebuild that trading Rondo will almost necessarily mean, UNLESS, Rondo can get us that player with cache that will attract other players.

There aren't many of those around. I don't see it. Rondo stays unless Ainge is blown away.

Isn't Rondo friends with Al Jefferson?

Anyway, I could see Rudy Gay and Al Jefferson as possible targets next year if Rondo is still here, which I would personally like to see.

And that's why I don't want to see Rondo get traded.

The Celts are a more attractive destination for free agents with him than without him.

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2014, 08:36:16 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
From Scott Souza:

They've never had cap space or assets to trade for a star, so that's just a loaded question. Had  the Cavs not won the lottery, K Love may be a Celtic right now. We'll never know, but if you're going to take shots at Rondo's reputation around the league, you should at least take the reality of the situation into account.

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2014, 08:36:51 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
From Scott Souza:

I don't think that is the seminal question. The seminal question is "can we somehow get anyone with more cache than Rondo here to lure other players?".

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »

Offline dasani

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 32
he said Rondo is the (cache) player. Most of the FAs that have came here (not necessarily names) like Jeff, Courtney, old vets like Shaq,JO, and Jason Terry were all interested in playing with Rondo.

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2014, 08:45:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
he said Rondo is the (cache) player. Most of the FAs that have came here (not necessarily names) like Jeff, Courtney, old vets like Shaq,JO, and Jason Terry were all interested in playing with Rondo.

unlikely. It was likely bc of Pierce, Allen and KG those guys came

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2014, 08:47:03 PM »

Offline dasani

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 32

um they all personally mentioned Rondo by name. You can find all the articles sourcing this. Players like to play with pass first players even OJ Mayo said this.

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2014, 08:50:20 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
From Scott Souza:

Who's come to the team over the last 4-5 years that he didn't help bring to the team? The obvious answer is you don't have any idea whether he's helped bring players to the team or not.  Although I'd guess if you checked what the incoming players said you wouldn't have much trouble finding comments about Rondo being a big part of why they joined the team. Start with players like Terry or Lee.

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2014, 08:57:15 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I remember Terry once saying the only point guard that could ever pass as good as Kidd was Rondo and Nash. That was a huge compliment.

Courtney Lee says he turned down more money to join the Boston Celtics.

The guard came to Boston from Houston after a sign-and-trade deal. He said Sunday that "the expectations every year for this team is to win big and that's one thing I want to do is win big."

Lee says his friendship with Rajon Rondo played a large role in the move to Boston.

The Celtics needed to free up more money to sign Lee and wound up making a three-team deal with Portland in the mix.

Lee is set to step into the starting lineup, with Jason Terry, also signed as a free agent, coming off the bench.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2014, 08:59:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
who wants to play with a guy that is known to be overly sensitive, can completely ignore a teammate and can possibly ruin the well being of a dressing room (Ray Allen situation).  I mean just bury the issue and move on, your teammates and have won a ring together for heaven's sake.

Ray Allen tried to make the situation better.  Doc Rivers probably was sicken by the drama (for a coach this kind of stuff is the last thing you need).

I can't say it was all bc of Rondo, Allen left, but i'm sure he was part of the reason why.   

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2014, 09:05:19 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
who wants to play with a guy that is known to be overly sensitive, can completely ignore a teammate and can possibly ruin the well being of a dressing room (Ray Allen situation).  I mean just bury the issue and move on, your teammates and have won a ring together for heaven's sake.

Ray Allen tried to make the situation better.  Doc Rivers probably was sicken by the drama (for a coach this kind of stuff is the last thing you need).

I can't say it was all bc of Rondo, Allen left, but i'm sure he was part of the reason why.

So what? You also realize Rondo was here first before Allen ever joined to form the Big 3 right?

Players have disputes with each other, and it happens. Most likely, this is what happened, Allen and Rondo probably got in some argument, and fought. Both men refused to grow up, and shake hands and move on. It happens. That was 3 years ago.

I don't care for Allen or Rondo's dispute, because it doesn't define who they are as players/leaders. Some players never forgive others, look at how Garnett has treated Allen now, ever since he defected to join the Heat. Weren't they brothers? As for being uncoachable or being a drama queen, ummmm...

Look at Kobe Bryant? Look at Michael Jordan? CP3? Deron Williams?

Sometimes its really hard for me to believe you have our best interests at heart, because you really seem to despise Rondo with sheer amount of hatred.

Certain types of players have certain personalities. Some personalities will never ever mesh, regardless of whether or not you want to admit it. I'm going to be honest off the bat. When Allen came here, I was extremely excited. But even when we won the championship, even though he PLAYED a huge role in it, I never ever felt like Allen was a true Celtic at heart. If anything it only solidified my adoring respect for KG, Rondo, and Pierce/Perkins, because they truly embodied that mentality of never giving up/sacrificing.

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2014, 09:10:21 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
From Scott Souza:

They've never had cap space or assets to trade for a star, so that's just a loaded question. Had  the Cavs not won the lottery, K Love may be a Celtic right now. We'll never know, but if you're going to take shots at Rondo's reputation around the league, you should at least take the reality of the situation into account.

Whose fault is that? Yes, the GM. Jeff Green comes to mind as does the re-signing of Garnett to an extra 3 yrs when he was finished.
You let Garnett walk that year, maybe then rondo and Pierce get you a piece..

All this talk of "we need" a star or stars to get over the top again is horsesh!t! Look at Golden St, Indiana, Washington and Toronto. Smart drafting and trading for the right pieces..
I don't see any Bosh, Wade or Lebron signings there..

You build thru the draft and smart trades, Rondo is holding Ainge hostage. And the sad part is, Ainge is the idiot who is letting this happen.

Deal the Player and move on. You have 3 potential top picks in the next 3 yrs that could very well put you back in contention with MSmart, and a combination of Sullinger, KO and perhaps JYoung.
Rome wasn't built in a day, especially when there are at least a dozen teams that can attract Star free agents in today's NBA due in part to smart drafting.
Ainge has done a very good job in the draft. Continue stocking the cupboard with pike

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2014, 09:12:53 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
From Scott Souza:

Whose fault is that? Yes, the GM. Jeff Green comes to mind as does the re-signing of Garnett to an extra 3 yrs when he was finished.
You let Garnett walk that year, maybe then rondo and Pierce get you a piece..

All this talk of "we need" a star or stars to get over the top again is horsesh!t! Look at Golden St, Indiana, Washington and Toronto. Smart drafting and trading for the right pieces..
I don't see any Bosh, Wade or Lebron signings there..

You build thru the draft and smart trades, Rondo is holding Ainge hostage. And the sad part is, Ainge is the idiot who is letting this happen.

Deal the Player and move on. You have 3 potential top picks in the next 3 yrs that could very well put you back in contention with MSmart, and a combination of Sullinger, KO and perhaps JYoung.
Rome wasn't built in a day, especially when there are at least a dozen teams that can attract Star free agents in today's NBA due in part to smart drafting.
Ainge has done a very good job in the draft. Continue stocking the cupboard with pike

Of course you didn't see any Bosh/Wade signings, because there wasn't any superstars or Allstars that would convince those players to want to sign with them in the first place.. George/Wall/Curry hadn't blown up at all, until as of recently.

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2014, 09:20:34 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Washington and Toronto: Building Dynasties the Right Way....

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2014, 09:24:21 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

You're saying he ignored his team mate, but it's just speculation about who's fault it was.
You can't say Ray Allen tried to make it better, you're just speculating to support your weak argument. How do you know Ray Allen tried to make it better? The reports at the time said Rondo and Ray weren't getting along and Ray was p---ed because he wasn't getting minutes over Avery Bradley. He was also *almost*traded a bunch of times.

Rondo is a huge drawcard for free agents. Dwight Howard's talked about it, Shaq talked about it, Kobe LOVES him and endorses him all the time. Kevin Love has said he's one of the best passers in the game. Lebron has said he's a winner and has the competitive side that the best players have.
Without Rondo, who is our free agent drawcard?
Don't pile crap on Rondo to try and keep a pointless argument going. You're just simply incorrect about Rondo's value on the Celtics should he stay.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.