Author Topic: Wyc: I don't know how coachable (Rondo) is  (Read 15983 times)

Wyc: I don't know how coachable (Rondo) is
« on: September 23, 2014, 02:18:39 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
http://www.boston.com/blogs/sports/columnists/kaufman/2014/09/grousbeck_rajon_rondo_stubborn_uncoachable_celtics.html

With his team working diligently to get back to their recent days of championship contention after an offseason that lacked those promised fireworks, Grousbeck had some interesting things to say when discussing C’s captain and impending free agent Rajon Rondo.

“He’s super stubborn,” revealed Grousbeck, adding Rondo is a good, generous kid who loves being in Boston. “I don’t know how coachable he really is.

“I know if you ask [former, long-time head coach] Doc [Rivers], ‘Was he the most coachable guy, or in the top half, 50 percent,’ he’d say, ‘No, he’s in the bottom 50 percent of being coachable.’ It’s hard with him,” Grousbeck continued.

This, of course, isn’t the first time we’ve heard the high-maintenance, smarter-than-you Rondo can be difficult to manage on the sidelines or in practices.

The earliest reports date back to Rondo’s college days at Kentucky, when he ruffled the feathers of then-coach Tubby Smith.

Re: Wyc: I don't know how coachable (Rondo) is
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 02:29:11 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Something Something Something Media Hates Rondo Something Something Something
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 02:31:39 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137

Can't wait for the rumors of what teams Rondo got his eyes on.. Who's recruiting him, n god forbid he go on vacation in his new Miami Condo

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 02:32:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
http://www.boston.com/blogs/sports/columnists/kaufman/2014/09/grousbeck_rajon_rondo_stubborn_uncoachable_celtics.html

With his team working diligently to get back to their recent days of championship contention after an offseason that lacked those promised fireworks, Grousbeck had some interesting things to say when discussing C’s captain and impending free agent Rajon Rondo.

“He’s super stubborn,” revealed Grousbeck, adding Rondo is a good, generous kid who loves being in Boston. “I don’t know how coachable he really is.

“I know if you ask [former, long-time head coach] Doc [Rivers], ‘Was he the most coachable guy, or in the top half, 50 percent,’ he’d say, ‘No, he’s in the bottom 50 percent of being coachable.’ It’s hard with him,” Grousbeck continued.

This, of course, isn’t the first time we’ve heard the high-maintenance, smarter-than-you Rondo can be difficult to manage on the sidelines or in practices.

The earliest reports date back to Rondo’s college days at Kentucky, when he ruffled the feathers of then-coach Tubby Smith.

Ainge : rondo is here to stay. And i expect him to have the best season of his career

Wyc: rondo is here to stay. And he is  super stubborn and not easy to coach

How simple this is going to be for rondo

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 02:42:25 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
beat me to it.

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 03:23:29 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Yeah. Between this and that hatchet job on Danny's remarks, I wouldn't be surprised to see everyone in the Celtics organization go into hibernation for the year.

I mean, the ESPN headline was "Trading Rondo 'Not out of the question'."

The full context:

"The truthful answer is I really don't know," Ainge said of Rondo's future, according to the Worcester Telegram & Gazette. "I have no intention [of trading Rondo]. I'm not trying to trade Rondo, but because he's a free agent this summer, he assured me that he wants to stay in Boston. We'd love to keep him in Boston."

Added Ainge: "The possibility of a trade is not out of the question. Nobody is untradeable, but I don't see that happening."

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 03:43:55 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I thought it was common knowledge that Rondo was not coachable??? Surprising that Wyc would say it though and then bring Doc into it....

I am not a fan of Rondo but how is he any different than the majority of the NBA? talented guy, that is super stubborn and doesn't take to coaching??  That's about 85% of the league...

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 03:53:17 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I love how sites use selective quotes, and use incomplete ones as well. More from Wyc and the complete quote as well:

He’s super smart and super stubborn. I don’t know how coachable he really is. I know if you ask Doc [Rivers] if he’s the most coachable guy or in the top 50 percent, he would say he’s in the bottom 50 percent. It’s hard with him,” said Grousbeck. “But he has been a great Celtic and that time is not over yet.”

And also:

I think we’re going to have a big year from Rajon. I’m a big fan, as he knows and everybody knows, and the contract thing will play out. We never talk about that stuff before it’s time. We’re glad he’s here; he has a ring as a starting point guard on a championship team, so enough said,” said Grousbeck, saying he would “absolutely” want to lock up the point guard long-term.

“It’s intangible. You just watch him; he played through a broken elbow, a ripped knee. He’s a gamer and a competitor with world-class talent,” he said, also praising Rondo’s off-the-court acumen. “I think he’s more than a good kid. He loves doing the charity stuff with kids and loves his family. He loves being here in Boston. He’s a real quality guy.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/23/celtics-wyc-grousbeck-on-sports-final-rondo-super-smart-and-super-stubborn/
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 04:01:11 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 04:06:37 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Well of course Doc would say Rondo isn't coachable.

"Doc. You wanna play small ball again?"

"Doc. You want us to practice defense while practicing offense? Really?"

"Doc. This rule. If you're open you have to shoot it. You do realize that has all sorts of potential for being an incredibly stupid rule, right"?

I mean of course Doc thinks Rondo is uncoachable. Doc can have intelligent players or he can have coachable players. He can't have both.

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 04:16:48 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yeah I saw that too.

It's almost like Ainge and Wyc are speaking out of both sides of their mouths with Rondo.

It's like on one hand they say:

"Rondo is here to stay. He's a great Celtic, etc."

Then they say

"Well, he's not untradeable. He's not coachable. He's not this. He's not that."

Kinda strange.

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 04:18:30 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
for the record: the Media doesn't hate Rondo.

Yeah I saw that too.

It's almost like Ainge and Wyc are speaking out of both sides of their mouths with Rondo.

Then they say

Kinda strange.

People are infinitely more complicated than 98% of all the stories that are written about them. For example, the phrase "genius" gets thrown around all the time, but it's kind of like an Idiocracy example as it relates to most of the common usage, especially among athletes. Very few of them are actually, you know, geniuses.

Which is not to say that there aren't plenty of smart athletes. There are.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 04:30:12 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
for the record: the Media doesn't hate Rondo.

Yeah I saw that too.

Then they say

Kinda strange.

People are infinitely more complicated than 98% of all the stories that are written about them. For example, the phrase "genius" gets thrown around all the time, but it's kind of like an Idiocracy example as it relates to most of the common usage, especially among athletes. Very few of them are actually, you know, geniuses.

Which is not to say that there aren't plenty of smart athletes. There are.

So in other words, when Wyc says he's not "coachable," it's not really a criticism as much as it is kind of a harmless adjective to describe Rondo.

Kind of like when you refer to your brother or friend as a pain in the you know what?

Okay, guess I can see that.

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 04:46:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If we had chris paul, doc prob would of stayed. Maybe wyc is still bitter that Doc left

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 04:46:45 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
Yeah, but he's Rondo

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 04:55:34 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
The distraction needs to be traded.

Is there a market? Of course there is. The ? is, how much or less will another team offer or the Celtics take for a player who cannot create his own shot, shoot, shoot free throws and be a Team player.

Rondo is not a Leader. He proved it this season by hanging his coach out to dry during his birthday bash weekend..

If this Player had the talent of a CPaul or DRose do you really think MELO signs back with NY. I'd even go out on a limb to say if the talent was there, LOVE even with Lebron in Cleveland would have thought long and hard about playing in Boston.

Rondo had great value with the big 3. All Rondo had to do was create. And he did a very good job doing that. There is NO TALENT coming to Boston where rondo can Play HIS GAME.

He is a free agent to be not worth the max due to limited physical abilities on the court.
MOVE ON and let the rebuild take its course.

If Im Wyc, tell Danny to trade him or find someone who will...