Author Topic: WYC/Ainge/Stevens speak on Celtics (players, training camp, etc)  (Read 13348 times)

WYC/Ainge/Stevens speak on Celtics (players, training camp, etc)
« on: September 23, 2014, 10:05:41 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Scott Souza ?@scott_souza  31m
On scene @ #Celtics charity golf tourney @ Dedham where Danny Ainge, Brad Stevens expected to speak soon. Will update w/ all the good stuff.

Jay King ?@ByJayKing  24m
Brad Stevens on the difference of having one year of experience: "It's night and day."

Scott Souza ?@scott_souza  22m
#Celtics coach Brad Stevens: Rajon Rondo had great workout yesterday, anxious for camp compared to last year not knowing when he'd play.

Scott Souza ?@scott_souza  21m
#Celtics coach Brad Stevens: we have lot of evenness - used that term last year - playing time will have to be earned.

Scott Souza ?@scott_souza  19m
#Celtics coach Brad Stevens (short answer on Rajon Rondo): he's a guy who's been around and I enjoy coaching.

Jay King ?@ByJayKing  18m
Stevens believes both Vitor and Gerald Wallace will be healthy for the start of training camp.

Scott Souza ?@scott_souza  14m
#Celtics president Danny Ainge: Evan Turner will be a Celtic on Tuesday.

Jay King ?@ByJayKing  14m
Ainge on offseason: There were things that were tempting that we didn't do. Said he's happy about that.

Jay King ?@ByJayKing  13m
Ainge said both Sully and Olynyk "look really good."

Jay King ?@ByJayKing  12m
Ainge repeats that he expects Rondo in Boston for the long term. "I expect the best year of his career. ... That's what I expect."

Jay King ?@ByJayKing  10m
Ainge says he could need to gauge Rondo's mindset later, but "right now Rondo has indicated to me that he wants to stay in Boston."

Jay King ?@ByJayKing  9m
Ainge: "I can't say more emphatically" that he wants Rondo in Boston long term.

Scott Souza ?@scott_souza  9m
#Celtics president Danny Ainge asked if he still gets trade calls on Rajon Rondo: "No."

Jay King ?@ByJayKing  8m
Ainge said Celtics are still contemplating punishment for Vitor Faverani, who was arrested for drunk driving.

Scott Souza ?@scott_souza  7m
#Celtics president Danny Ainge: you need players w/ cache to attract other stars in #NBA. Rajon Rondo is our player (w/ cache) to get those.

#Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck: Absolutely I want Rajon Rondo to stay. When you speak with him, think he will reiterate he wants to stay.

Jay King ?@ByJayKing  5m
Wyc Grousbeck said someone called him five minutes ago trying to buy the Celtics. Said they aren't for sale.

Jay King ?@ByJayKing  3m
Ainge said Wallace hasn't returned to Boston yet. Didn't seem as sure as Stevens that small forward should be ready for training camp.

Jay King ?@ByJayKing  2m
Grousbeck repeated that he "absolutely" wants to keep Rondo. Thinks he wants to stay too.

Re: WYC/Ainge/Stevens speak on Celtics (players, training camp, etc)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 10:09:14 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
Scott Souza ?@scott_souza  31m
On scene @ #Celtics charity golf tourney @ Dedham where Danny Ainge, Brad Stevens expected to speak soon. Will update w/ all the good stuff.

Jay King ?@ByJayKing  24m
Brad Stevens on the difference of having one year of experience: "It's night and day."

Scott Souza ?@scott_souza  22m
#Celtics coach Brad Stevens: Rajon Rondo had great workout yesterday, anxious for camp compared to last year not knowing when he'd play.

Scott Souza ?@scott_souza  21m
#Celtics coach Brad Stevens: we have lot of evenness - used that term last year - playing time will have to be earned.

Scott Souza ?@scott_souza  19m
#Celtics coach Brad Stevens (short answer on Rajon Rondo): he's a guy who's been around and I enjoy coaching.

Jay King ?@ByJayKing  18m
Stevens believes both Vitor and Gerald Wallace will be healthy for the start of training camp.

Scott Souza ?@scott_souza  14m
#Celtics president Danny Ainge: Evan Turner will be a Celtic on Tuesday.

Ainge on offseason: There were things that were tempting that we didn't do. Said he's happy about that.

Jay King ?@ByJayKing  13m
Ainge said both Sully and Olynyk "look really good."

Jay King ?@ByJayKing  12m
Ainge repeats that he expects Rondo in Boston for the long term. "I expect the best year of his career. ... That's what I expect."

Jay King ?@ByJayKing  10m
Ainge says he could need to gauge Rondo's mindset later, but "right now Rondo has indicated to me that he wants to stay in Boston."

Jay King ?@ByJayKing  9m
Ainge: "I can't say more emphatically" that he wants Rondo in Boston long term.

Scott Souza ?@scott_souza  9m
#Celtics president Danny Ainge asked if he still gets trade calls on Rajon Rondo: "No."

Jay King ?@ByJayKing  8m
Ainge said Celtics are still contemplating punishment for Vitor Faverani, who was arrested for drunk driving.

#Celtics president Danny Ainge: you need players w/ cache to attract other stars in #NBA. Rajon Rondo is our player (w/ cache) to get those.

#Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck: Absolutely I want Rajon Rondo to stay. When you speak with him, think he will reiterate he wants to stay.

Jay King ?@ByJayKing  5m
Wyc Grousbeck said someone called him five minutes ago trying to buy the Celtics. Said they aren't for sale.

Jay King ?@ByJayKing  3m
Ainge said Wallace hasn't returned to Boston yet. Didn't seem as sure as Stevens that small forward should be ready for training camp.

Jay King ?@ByJayKing  2m
Grousbeck repeated that he "absolutely" wants to keep Rondo. Thinks he wants to stay too.

Mark Murphy ?@Murf56  1m
Ainge added that Rondo has looked exceptional in workouts. Not a bad springboard into a contract year.

Ben Rohrbach ?@brohrbach  14s
Both Ainge, Grousbeck hinted there was a significant deal they could've made, but it wouldn't have taken them to the level they wanted to go

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 10:13:08 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Ainge: I want rondo to stay and i expect him to have the best season of his career

Lol.  Goodluck Rondo

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 10:20:57 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
So... Rondo's getting traded?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 10:29:35 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Didn't Wallace show up the day before training camp last season too?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 10:31:05 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Well, if we can take him at face value, this quote by Ainge was most encouraging

Hopefully this means Danny has every intention of keeping RR for the long-term in hopes of attracting a couple veteran free agents next summer.

To OP - Thank you for sharing!

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 10:44:21 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
reading this is getting me anxious for camp.  wish they'd just start already!!!

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 10:51:02 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Hm.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 11:01:16 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
Is this a shot at Jackie Mac??

Jay King ?@ByJayKing  21m
Ainge on Rondo rumors: "Very credible people have made things up and that even makes it worse."

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 11:15:20 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Is this a shot at Jackie Mac??

Jay King ?@ByJayKing  21m
Ainge on Rondo rumors: "Very credible people have made things up and that even makes it worse."
that's what popped into my head too.  If not specifically her then she's certainly in the collective group he's referring to as 'credible people'

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 11:15:36 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Marcus Smart is gonna play so well that they will be changing that tune. And IMHO I do think Rondo will be gone, but for what is the million dollar question. Id rather him leave than take back salary just for the sake of getting "promising young guys". No I say one option is to trade to a western conference team him and get 3-4 future picks; even if the picks don't start till 2019. And only take back expiring or expiring deals that end with Wallace's contract does....That is sure to be better than nothing.

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 11:31:26 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Marcus Smart is gonna play so well that they will be changing that tune. And IMHO I do think Rondo will be gone, but for what is the million dollar question. Id rather him leave than take back salary just for the sake of getting "promising young guys". No I say one option is to trade to a western conference team him and get 3-4 future picks; even if the picks don't start till 2019. And only take back expiring or expiring deals that end with Wallace's contract does....That is sure to be better than nothing.

Would rather build around Rondo.

I think expectations for Marcus Smart are becoming way too high.

He might be great, he might be okay and he might suck.

We just don't know.

I guess in a year from now we'll have a better idea of whether or not Smart is "THE FUTURE."

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 11:52:51 AM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

We just don't know.

I guess in a year from now we'll have a better idea of whether or not Smart is "THE FUTURE."

Yep.  I'd rather have Rondo than Smart.  Presently, at least, we don't have to choose.

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 11:56:27 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

We just don't know.

Isn't that the name of the game around here? There's always a tendency to put these ridiculously high expectations on players and then call them busts when they don't live up to it. Look at last offseason with Jeff Green, so many people were saying he was going to be a 20-25ppg guy, it didn't happen, and the "Trade Jeff Green" threads started to pop up. Then there was the faction of posters comparing Kelly Olynyk to Larry Bird and/or Dirk Nowitzki. Why not just let players play and see how they turn out before proclaiming them the next great hope?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 12:03:36 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137

TP.. Look at Gordon Hayward's rookie season compared to now. Went from doing nothing on a losing team to securing a Max contract right after his rookie contract. Not everyone is a Damien Lillard right out of college..  We'd be sorry if we trade KO IMO that man has too much talent. The upside is higher then many might believe. Even if Smart scores 7 PPg and 3AST.. by no means does that indicate what his future holds.  The hting is that once your  watch your favorite team get a chip, your hungry to get right back in contention. Jeff Green is my faavorite Celtic believe it or not. Im actually pretty hi on Turner aw well

We just don't know.

Isn't that the name of the game around here? There's always a tendency to put these ridiculously high expectations on players and then call them busts when they don't live up to it. Look at last offseason with Jeff Green, so many people were saying he was going to be a 20-25ppg guy, it didn't happen, and the "Trade Jeff Green" threads started to pop up. Then there was the faction of posters comparing Kelly Olynyk to Larry Bird and/or Dirk Nowitzki. Why not just let players play and see how they turn out before proclaiming them the next great hope?