Author Topic: BOS/SAC  (Read 3429 times)

BOS/SAC
« on: September 22, 2014, 04:02:35 PM »

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
Boston receives: PF Derrick Williams, 2015 Sacramento 2nd round pick protection reduced from top 55 to top 50

Sacramento receives: PF Brandon Bass

Boston takes a chance on yet another #2 overall bust (Evan Turner, now Williams) to see if he can turn things around. He's showed some promise at times, having some big games, shoots around 30% from 3 in his career, and could be a decent young role player. He's also a RFA at the end of the year, so if he does well, the Celtics have some control over him, and if he's just meh but not awful, could sign him to a cheap deal but have some flexibility with his bird rights. If he sucks, he can be let go free of charge. Celtics also shed about 600k in salary in the deal, and have pick protection reduced, but it probably won't ever convey to them.

Sacramento gets Bass, a consistent veteran that won't wow you, can be a nice heat check player at times, will be a solid team player, a nice midrange shooter, and is a pretty solid free throw shooter, and will get about a block a game despite not being that great of a defender. Nice role player to have for a team on the bubble of playoff contention. This will push Sacramento slightly closer to the tax line, but that can easily be resolved by waiving the unguaranteed deals of Alonzo Gee and Scotty Hopson, who they just got from Houston as salary filler, and likely aren't in their plans as they were likely acquired with the intention of freeing up space.

Re: BOS/SAC
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 07:41:52 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'd do it.  Nothing to lose.

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 08:04:23 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Sacramento should be asking for a pick (not necessarily a first) in that deal.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 08:39:41 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
It's not a bad trade.  However, I'm not sure how motivated the Kings would be with both Thompson and Landry (assuming he's healthy) on the roster.  The Kings should really be in the market for a backup Center.

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 09:21:56 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Yeah, maybe one of the early 2nd rounders we are getting from Philly. Williams really hasn't been that bad, but he also has shown the promise of a number 2 pick. I would definitely go for it as there still is potential, but the logjam at pf would continue.

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 07:45:32 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Agreed.

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 08:55:29 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Yeah, maybe one of the early 2nd rounders we are getting from Philly. Williams really hasn't been that bad, but he also has shown the promise of a number 2 pick. I would definitely go for it as there still is potential, but the logjam at pf would continue.
disagree on the pick -- Bass is the better player.  better defender, scorer and an expiring deal.  Williams hasn't shown enough to be considered a rotation player yet.

this trade does nothing to alleviate the logjam at PF for the C's. 

While I get the idea of taking a flyer on Williams in exchange for a player that's not part of our future and is already a known quantity, I'd prefer to take a flyer on someone that plays a position of need rather than exchange Bass for someone who plays the same position.  if this deal did go down, I'd want the protection on that 2nd rounder removed completely.  No way Sac should be getting a pick in addition to Bass in this deal -- certainly not for a kid that's shown precious little on the court.

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 09:07:19 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
It's not a bad trade.  However, I'm not sure how motivated the Kings would be with both Thompson and Landry (assuming he's healthy) on the roster.  The Kings should really be in the market for a backup Center.

Yea, they'd probably be more interested in Zeller to back up DMC.

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 10:06:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Boston takes a chance on yet another #2 overall bust (Evan Turner, now Williams) to see if he can turn things around. He's showed some promise at times, having some big games, shoots around 30% from 3 in his career, and could be a decent young role player

30% from three, Springfield here we come.  We have Green, Turner at SF, Oly and Sully at PF, what chance is he going to get on the bench?  He has played for two teams and they all thought they'd be the one who he would blossom under.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/willide02.html

42% from the field, No Thanks.  He can't make two with a pencil.  I think we'd be better off to wait until a contender needs a piece like Bass than to make a trade just for the sake of making one.   Some guys are going to get cut, whoopity doo, it happens every year folks.  It will be ok.

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 10:23:15 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Yea, they'd probably be more interested in Zeller to back up DMC.
which would make it a really bad trade for us.  zeller actually plays a position of need and he's someone that could be a building block for us.  Williams, not so much.

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 01:50:06 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

disagree on the pick -- Bass is the better player.  better defender, scorer and an expiring deal.  Williams hasn't shown enough to be considered a rotation player yet.

While I get the idea of taking a flyer on Williams in exchange for a player that's not part of our future and is already a known quantity, I'd prefer to take a flyer on someone that plays a position of need rather than exchange Bass for someone who plays the same position.  if this deal did go down, I'd want the protection on that 2nd rounder removed completely.  No way Sac should be getting a pick in addition to Bass in this deal -- certainly not for a kid that's shown precious little on the court.

Bass isn't good enough to move the needle for Sacramento, he also does nothing to clear up their own PF logjam, and he removes some of their financial flexibility.  The point about his contract expiring is moot as Williams' is expiring as well.

The best compromise would be simply not asking for any picks to change hands or asking for any protection to be removed.  Straight up Bass for Williams.

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 01:59:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Bass isn't good enough to move the needle for Sacramento, he also does nothing to clear up their own PF logjam, and he removes some of their financial flexibility.  The point about his contract expiring is moot as Williams' is expiring as well.

The best compromise would be simply not asking for any picks to change hands or asking for any protection to be removed.  Straight up Bass for Williams.
I get what you're saying but my main point is to move Bass for someone who plays a different position (and not SG) rather than bring in an inferior player that plays the same position. 

Bass may not move the needle much for them but he could probably start for Sac whereas Williams is 3rd on the depth chart here at best.  for that much of an improvement, I don't think it's unreasonable to have the restrictions on that 2nd removed or at least modified to top 40 protected.