Author Topic: Smart/Thornton for Sanders/Knight  (Read 5581 times)

Smart/Thornton for Sanders/Knight
« on: September 22, 2014, 01:36:44 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I replied to another post with this idea but after thinking about it a little more I decided it deserved it's own thread.

Milwaukee is a pretty interesting team. Right now I'd say they project in the lottery but they have tons of potential at every position except PG and SG. Assuming that the Greek freak doesn't end up being the league's first 7ft PG (I would put the odds pretty low) I'd like to think they'd jump at the opportunity to get a defensive minded PG. I doubt they would give up Henson, Parker or Giannis so I'd ask for Sanders and Knight. That would leave their lineup:

Henson
Giannis
Parker
Dudley
Smart

with Mayo/Ilyosova/Sessions/Zaza coming off the bench. That is a pretty intriguing team.

As for the C's we get a legit center (with some personality issues) and a backup PG that would compete with Pressey.

Rondo
AB
Green
Sully
Sanders

with Zeller/KO/Turner/Knight off the bench.

What do you guys think?

Re: Smart/Thornton for Sanders/Knight
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 01:48:43 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I think the Bucks say no.

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 01:49:21 PM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
Sorry. No. We have to keep Smart until we see what a player he is in the NBA. We don't want to be that stupid team that trades away a superstar for some peanuts (Charlotte Hornets- Kobe)
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 02:27:32 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I think the Bucks say no.
The Bucks say no to this theoretical trade, but Boston would never offer or accept this trade. Sanders had to do 6 weeks of rehab this summer, he is not worth the 6th pick; especially when the 6th pick is Marcus Smart!

IMO Smart is here for his career.

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 04:00:53 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If we keep AB and Rondo why would we get Knight?   Do you guys just write names on a dart board to come up with these trades because they make that much sense all too often?

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 04:27:28 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Best I could see a deal being for Sanders is

Thornton, Bass, Anthony, Clippers 1st, and a Brooklyn 1st

For Sanders and Ily

Bucks dump 2 guys who they don't want because of salaries and disappointments picking up cap space and 2 first.

C's do it only if they like Sanders and Ily enough.

I myself don't but this is a comprise trade based on how much some love Sanders on here.

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 04:30:02 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Milwauke will never trade  their starting PG and C for someone whos never played a professional game of basketball ever!!. This trade doesnt get done in real life, in yahoo fantasy, or even in this blogs DKC league.. shouldnt of even been mentioned to be honest.

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 06:21:06 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
Sorry. No. We have to keep Smart until we see what a player he is in the NBA. We don't want to be that stupid team that trades away a superstar for some peanuts (Charlotte Hornets- Kobe)

Much like you don't know what you have in Smart yet, I think Sanders has plenty to prove as well.  The risk with Sanders is just too high when you combine the contract with the injuries with the off court/personal uncertainties.  I am not nearly as high on Sanders as some here are.

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 06:44:04 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Much like you don't know what you have in Smart yet, I think Sanders has plenty to prove as well.  The risk with Sanders is just too high when you combine the contract with the injuries with the off court/personal uncertainties.  I am not nearly as high on Sanders as some here are.

TP - seriously, as I read through some of these responses that say Milwaukee wouldn't accept the deal, I am left a little dumbfounded. I mean, if Sanders were still on his rookie contract, then maybe a deal could be made. However, I don't value Sanders or his contract nearly as much as [apparently] so many others do.

I am not saying he has negative trade value, but if Mil was able to pull out a couple of expirings and a first for him, then I would consider that a win for them. There is at least as much of a chance that he becomes an albatross contract as him becoming an average center for the next 6-8 years. All hopes of Drummond and DeAndre Jordan need to be tempered immensely.

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 08:42:28 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

TP - seriously, as I read through some of these responses that say Milwaukee wouldn't accept the deal, I am left a little dumbfounded. I mean, if Sanders were still on his rookie contract, then maybe a deal could be made. However, I don't value Sanders or his contract nearly as much as [apparently] so many others do.

I am not saying he has negative trade value, but if Mil was able to pull out a couple of expirings and a first for him, then I would consider that a win for them. There is at least as much of a chance that he becomes an albatross contract as him becoming an average center for the next 6-8 years. All hopes of Drummond and DeAndre Jordan need to be tempered immensely.
solid points.   

also not a fan of Knight.  if we were taking back Ily (just can't see the point of that without them flipping us another asset for the 'kindness' in taking too overpaid players off their hands) we'd need them to send us a pick

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 10:20:01 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
That people disagree about which side says no to the trade could indicate that the trade is not lopsided.

A couple of noteworthy things. First, knowing what you have sometimes means that others also know what you have. If Smart is really an all-star then I guess I wouldn't want to make this trade. Similarly if Larry Sanders was a model citizen I doubt Milwaukee would want to trade him for an untested rookie. They both have flaws.

I do agree that Knight is not a need for our team. Bear in mind he's basically expiring at the end of the season (if no QO comes). He is a good backup PG and might be an asset around the trade deadline.

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 10:38:28 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I think, unlike others, that the Bucks would be more than happy to take a player with a huge upside like Smart for a high risk player like Sanders whom they owe $44 million over the next 4 years and a pedestrian guard like Knight. Why not just simplify this deal: Sanders for Thornton, Zeller and one of our less valuable 1st round picks. This gives them a useful 2 and a useful 5 plus cuts their long term salary obligation by over $30 million. We get a much needed, albeit risky, rim defender. I am not against taking a risk when the possible upside is so high (no pun intended).

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 11:11:15 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
This trade proposal aside, I just realized I'd trade our roster for the Bucks roster in a heartbeat.

Ugh.

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 12:03:40 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
This trade proposal aside, I just realized I'd trade our roster for the Bucks roster in a heartbeat.

Ugh.

Reading these forums, you would think the Celtics are the worst team in the NBA with their prospects viewed nothing more than garbage.

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 12:09:19 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Ugh.

Reading these forums, you would think the Celtics are the worst team in the NBA with their prospects viewed nothing more than garbage.
Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.