Author Topic: Idea: Trading for Derrick Favors  (Read 3561 times)

Idea: Trading for Derrick Favors
« on: September 22, 2014, 12:48:47 PM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
Celtics out: Rajon Rondo, Jeff Green
Celtics in: Derrick Favors, Brandon Jennings

Jazz out: Derrick Favors
Jazz in: Jeff Green, Greg Monroe

Pistons out: Greg Monroe, Brandon Jennings
Pistons in: Rajon Rondo

Not very sure if Utah would even think about trading Favors..  ???
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

Re: Idea: Trading for Derrick Favors
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 02:08:49 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Not interested in pursuing Favors.

Favors has failed to properly develop his game and consequently has become a tweener big who is ineffective at both PF and C positions. Too unskilled offensively to play PF. Gets overwhelmed by size/length at center and does not use his quickness advantage to good effect. Regularly outplayed at both big man positions.

Bench player.

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 02:26:58 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'd love to acquire Favors, but not at the expense of Rondo. To me, Davis, Cousins, and Drummond are on another tier as far as young big men go (Davis clearly being the best - Monroe is probably on Favors' level). Favors definitely has the ability to block shots and play center, but I am not so sure that after the next couple of years that Sully and/or KO won't be able to catch up in terms of value.

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 03:06:38 PM »

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
No matter the rest of the trade, Monroe isn't being moved. He has a NTC and would lose a lot of potential FA cash if he waived it.

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 03:29:13 PM »

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
horrible trade for Boston. 

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 03:42:55 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Trading for Brandon Jennings...
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 07:20:57 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Not interested in pursuing Favors.

Favors has failed to properly develop his game and consequently has become a tweener big who is ineffective at both PF and C positions. Too unskilled offensively to play PF. Gets overwhelmed by size/length at center and does not use his quickness advantage to good effect. Regularly outplayed at both big man positions.

Bench player.
Bench player sounds right, though possibly a very good bench player.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 09:59:15 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
horrible trade for Boston.
Why?  Don't you think we should trade our two best players for a mediocre big and a journeyman guard?

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 07:22:45 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
By no stretch would I call this a horrible trade for boston. Having admittedly not watched alot of Jazz game I did a quick search to read what Jazz reports say about favors. Everything seems very positive about his role as a defensive anchor. I also read that they like him better at center and where struggling to figure out how favors and kanter can play together (not to mention Gobert). Favors looks to me to be a very young (23yr) player who is in a less then desirable personal situation. (playing along side another paint clogging big).

If Rondo isnt a long term piece then DA could do alot worse then a 23yr old defensive center coming off a 13pt 9rb 19PER season.

All this is a mute point because the Jazz are not trading Favors.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 08:03:17 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Another horrible trade for Boston that not only completely undervalues Rajon Rondo once again, but this time also completely undervalues Jeff Green.

I wouldn't trade Gerald Wallace for Brandon Jennings let alone Rondo or Green for him. Favors doesn't do it for me either especially at the expense of Rondo.

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 11:53:19 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Also like to add that I'm probably the only one but I think Jennings could be great in a Jason Terry like 6th man role. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 01:05:42 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
It's okay... You could argue both sides in this one. People calling this a horrible trade for Boston have the glasses slightly tinted green. Well I understand but when you step back and look at the longer term picture it's a pretty close to being 'good' result for Boston to move two expiring deals for a decent value point guard (and trade asset) and a very solid big man. Favours isn't the best for our roster but he's still very, very valuable.

If you need more convincing think of it this way. Would Utah hang up on you in this trade proposal? It's quite likely.
I honestly can't see Utah saying yes to this. Why would they for 2 expiring guys who they've just drafted clones of in Hayward and Kanter whilst giving away their best big man? Okay maybe a 30% chance at happening?

The question that shapes your answer to this trade is; is this assuming we don't get Rondo to re-sign or are we trading him regardless ? If it's after establishing he would stay long term, then I'd say it's a no go.

These ideas need context.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 01:13:15 PM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 01:15:49 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Also like to add that I'm probably the only one but I think Jennings could be great in a Jason Terry like 6th man role.

I agree with this. The problem, as I see it, is that I don't believe that Brandon Jennings does.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.