Author Topic: Ainge on Rondo staying in Boston  (Read 2668 times)

Ainge on Rondo staying in Boston
« on: September 22, 2014, 09:51:04 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4714663/ainge-wed-love-to-keep-rondo-with-cs

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but if you're like me and hope that Ainge keeps Rondo in Boston and builds around him with a couple other stars, this doesn't sound very encouraging

Added Ainge: "The possibility of a trade is not out of the question. Nobody is untradeable, but I don't see that happening."

I guess to me, the "trade is not out of the question" part sticks out alot more than the "but I don't see that happening" part.

But, I guess that's up for personal interpertation.

You would just think if Ainge was intent on keeping Rondo around for the long term, he would say something along the lines of "Rondo ISN'T going anywhere."

Re: Ainge on Rondo staying in Boston
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 10:04:02 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Uh no...never commit to anything and never say never.....and play it close to the vest and don't tell the media your plans....

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 10:14:44 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4714663/ainge-wed-love-to-keep-rondo-with-cs

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but if you're like me and hope that Ainge keeps Rondo in Boston and builds around him with a couple other stars, this doesn't sound very encouraging

Added Ainge: "The possibility of a trade is not out of the question. Nobody is untradeable, but I don't see that happening."

I guess to me, the "trade is not out of the question" part sticks out alot more than the "but I don't see that happening" part.

You would just think if Ainge was intent on keeping Rondo around for the long term, he would say something along the lines of "Rondo ISN'T going anywhere."

So you want to be lied to.

And "Rondo ISN'T going anywhere" would be foolish to declare since that's not entirely in his control.

No use reading too much into this one way or another.

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 10:27:03 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Sounds like exactly what Danny has said every single time he's been asked the question.

Personal opinion; Rondo's not going anywhere right now.  Trade value is too low.  But, if the team starts out weak, not looking to be any better than they were at the end of last year, then Rondo will be gone.  I just don't see Rondo wanting to re-up next summer if the team isn't showing real signs of improvement.  They don't have to be a playoff team, necessarily, but if they're floundering their way to another 24- or 26-win season, I don't see why he'd come back, so get some value while you can.

The team's got to come out strong this season.

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 10:28:14 AM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
Ainge has used the mantra "anyone is tradeable" since day 1.  And he should.  Basically he said nothing in this. 

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 10:33:16 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Ainge isn't under any real obligation to make fans feel more at ease about the roster.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 10:48:11 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Sounds like exactly what Danny has said every single time he's been asked the question.

Personal opinion; Rondo's not going anywhere right now.  Trade value is too low.  But, if the team starts out weak, not looking to be any better than they were at the end of last year, then Rondo will be gone.  I just don't see Rondo wanting to re-up next summer if the team isn't showing real signs of improvement.  They don't have to be a playoff team, necessarily, but if they're floundering their way to another 24- or 26-win season, I don't see why he'd come back, so get some value while you can.

The team's got to come out strong this season.

Yeah this is not different than anything Danny has been saying the past 5, 6, 7 years.

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 10:52:35 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 11:00:10 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I always liked that that quote is, itself, an absolute.  Obi-Wan was a secret Sith!   :-X

I don't think anything can be read into Ainge's comments one way or another.  He'll trade Rondo if the price is right, and that price might drop if he becomes convinced Rondo is likely to sign elsewhere.  That's about all there is to it.

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 11:02:07 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Rondo will be traded by the deadline imo. If he stays either he will take a paycut or is given a max deal bc the team is overachieving (playoff bound)

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 11:11:09 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Rondo will be traded by the deadline imo. If he stays either he will take a paycut or is given a max deal bc the team is overachieving (playoff bound)

Ainge would be a fool to keep Rondo.
Smart is better.

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 11:43:46 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Seen quotes from Ainge saying both things the last few days.  Obviously we learned nothing different.  Rondo can be traded but I still don't see the good offers he will be looking for out there.  He isn't going to give him away for these type of joke offers we've seen rumored.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 12:18:02 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Smart is better.

Smart has not even played a second in the NBA yet.  Smart may in fact be better but until he shows he can play in the NBA, I would not make such a bold statement.   Rondo is a clearly a better passer and has better handles.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 12:23:39 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 12:26:55 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Smart is better.

Smart has not even played a second in the NBA yet.  Smart may in fact be better but until he shows he can play in the NBA, I would not make such a bold statement.   Rondo is a clearly a better passer and has better handles.

Lol.

Marcus Smart: The only player to ever have his number retired before he even plays a single game.

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 12:31:28 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Hope Rondo stays in Boston