Author Topic: Would you make this trade?  (Read 4563 times)

Would you make this trade?
« on: September 21, 2014, 03:42:13 PM »

Offline Celtsfan92

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11
Saw this story and was wondering what everyone thought. Seen some of the names, but there's one new name I actually really liked. Author brings up some good points with the connections towards the end of the story. Pretty quick read. Check it out and let me know what you guys think...I kind of like it. http://mcsne.ws/77

Re: Would you make this trade?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 04:36:08 PM »

Offline Celtsfan92

• Xavier Tillman
Anybody? Thoughts? Haha

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 04:47:45 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
A sign-and-trade of Bledsoe packaged with Morris in exchange for Rondo, Bass and one of Boston’s several first round picks could be an enticing deal for McDonough and would be a perfect move for the rebuilding C’s..

Here is the trade for those who fear links.   I think Ainge would do this but I do not see PHO doing it.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 05:00:02 PM »

Offline Celtsfan92

• Xavier Tillman
Why wouldn't Phoenix do this? Seems like a bigger win for them and a bigger risk for the Celtics

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 05:10:20 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Nah. Don't want to pay Bledsoe the max. I think Smart will be as good, if not better than Bledsoe in a few years. If we're gonna trade Rondo, I would want young, cheaper players with upside. Bledsoe is too expensive and injury prone
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 06:30:09 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
At this point, I think I'd rather just hang onto Rondo, extend his contract and go after a big name either at the trade deadline or next summer

There will be some decent free agents next summer and while the rest of the league paces themselves for 2016, maybe we can sneak in like thieves in the night and grab a couple
(Gasol, LMA, Rudy Gay, Al Jefferson, Monta Ellis, Deandre Jordan.)

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 06:45:16 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Why wouldn't Phoenix do this?

Morris is a decent.   I bet they wager than can more out of Bledsoe than Rondo and a first and probably not have to give us Morris.

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 09:53:41 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Id rather just give the pg spot to Smart.

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 10:05:26 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Not interested... I can see PHO being a team that is interested in obtaining Bass, but the last thing Ainge would do is give up Rondo, and PHO wouldn't give up any of the Morris twins as they have great chemistry/locker room, and really do ramp up their intensity in close games.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 01:10:44 AM »

Offline Celtsfan92

• Xavier Tillman
Nah. Don't want to pay Bledsoe the max. I think Smart will be as good, if not better than Bledsoe in a few years. If we're gonna trade Rondo, I would want young, cheaper players with upside. Bledsoe is too expensive and injury prone

All fair points, but I don't think we're going to get a haul for Rondo. It'll be one good player, some potential ceiling guys, and maybe a pick or two.

A few things to think about:
-Morris just had his best season, he's 6-10, and would be a terrific compliment to Sully off the bench. He'd fill a roll nicely. What's not to like about him? He's only 25
-Bledsoe would get the Max now with the cap being $63ish million. That number will look GREAT In two years when the cap is $80mil bc of the new TV deal. Thoughts on that? I'd rather pay him this max than the higher one.
-Bledsoe is only 24, and has less of an injury history of rondo to be fair.
-why not make him a 2 guard? (Size is the obvious answer here, but look what dragic/Bledsoe did last year...you don't love that?

All just points to ponder over conversation :)

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 01:23:35 AM »

Offline Celtsfan92

• Xavier Tillman
At this point, I think I'd rather just hang onto Rondo, extend his contract and go after a big name either at the trade deadline or next summer

There will be some decent free agents next summer and while the rest of the league paces themselves for 2016, maybe we can sneak in like thieves in the night and grab a couple

-Rondo has already said he will become a free agent. Doesn't mean he's leaving, but he can make more money by not resigning. And as soon as he a free agent, all bets are off and anything can happen.
-Marc Gasol has kinda lost a step. He was terrible in the World Cup last month. I like him a lot, but probably not for the kind of money he's going to command. Maybe. Itll depend how this season goes.
-LMA has already said he is resigning with Portland and doesn't want to play anywhere else. And why would he? They're a team on the rise, and he can make the most money by staying there. He's in a perfect spot with terrific fans. No chance he comes to boston unless a LOT changes.
-Rudy gay is a more expensive Jeff Green. I'm admittedly a Rudy gay hater, but you're not going to win with Rudy Gay on your team (at least not with him making $19 mil and taking as many bad shots and playing as terrible defense as he does).
-Al's in a good place down south. He won't come back to the cold here, and his foot injury is too risky for a rebuilding team to risk the money on. For a win-now team like the bobcats (hornets) are trying to be, well okay. But he's not coming back to Boston.
-I love DeAndre Jordan, but he's overpaid for his role right now. He makes at least $10-12m to rebound and block shots (and a couple awesome dunks). Danny Ainge traded away a championship in 2011 (perk) because he didn't want to pay a guy like that (who had tons of history and chemistry and was best friends with rondo) $9mil like perk wanted. For Jordan's price tag, I don't see him coming to boston. He'd come once other big names were here and only then would he take less money. No way he could be your marquee free agent. Besides, if Doc pays him why would he leave the ideal situation he's currently in in LA?
-I'll be [dang]ed the day Monta Ellis wins a championship. He does everything wrong (admittedly he's a terrific scorer and made great strides towards being an actual point guard and team player with the Mavs last year, but that's why they'll keep him...or he'll go for the most money. Why would we pay another combo guard to come in? Especially IF we have smart and rondo still?)

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 01:27:28 AM »

Offline Celtsfan92

• Xavier Tillman
Not interested... I can see PHO being a team that is interested in obtaining Bass, but the last thing Ainge would do is give up Rondo, and PHO wouldn't give up any of the Morris twins as they have great chemistry/locker room, and really do ramp up their intensity in close games.

Danny would trade Rondo in a second. Don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise. But good points besides that I thought

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 01:30:28 AM »

Offline Celtsfan92

• Xavier Tillman
Id rather just give the pg spot to Smart.

And let rondo walk for nothing? Bledsoe at least is a valuable trade chip in return at worst, at best he's a terrific player and MAYBE a guy who helps convince a FA to come here (a pipedream, really).

Like I said above, how do we not love what Phoenix just did with Bledsoe/Dragic(other than size)? Why couldn't that be Bledsoe/Smart?

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 01:31:24 AM »

Offline Celtsfan92

• Xavier Tillman
Why wouldn't Phoenix do this?

Morris is a decent.   I bet they wager than can more out of Bledsoe than Rondo and a first and probably not have to give us Morris.

Most logical answer I've gotten haha. TP for sense!

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 08:47:52 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

-Rondo has already said he will become a free agent. Doesn't mean he's leaving, but he can make more money by not resigning. And as soon as he a free agent, all bets are off and anything can happen.
-Marc Gasol has kinda lost a step. He was terrible in the World Cup last month. I like him a lot, but probably not for the kind of money he's going to command. Maybe. Itll depend how this season goes.
-LMA has already said he is resigning with Portland and doesn't want to play anywhere else. And why would he? They're a team on the rise, and he can make the most money by staying there. He's in a perfect spot with terrific fans. No chance he comes to boston unless a LOT changes.
-Rudy gay is a more expensive Jeff Green. I'm admittedly a Rudy gay hater, but you're not going to win with Rudy Gay on your team (at least not with him making $19 mil and taking as many bad shots and playing as terrible defense as he does).
-Al's in a good place down south. He won't come back to the cold here, and his foot injury is too risky for a rebuilding team to risk the money on. For a win-now team like the bobcats (hornets) are trying to be, well okay. But he's not coming back to Boston.
-I love DeAndre Jordan, but he's overpaid for his role right now. He makes at least $10-12m to rebound and block shots (and a couple awesome dunks). Danny Ainge traded away a championship in 2011 (perk) because he didn't want to pay a guy like that (who had tons of history and chemistry and was best friends with rondo) $9mil like perk wanted. For Jordan's price tag, I don't see him coming to boston. He'd come once other big names were here and only then would he take less money. No way he could be your marquee free agent. Besides, if Doc pays him why would he leave the ideal situation he's currently in in LA?
-I'll be [dang]ed the day Monta Ellis wins a championship. He does everything wrong (admittedly he's a terrific scorer and made great strides towards being an actual point guard and team player with the Mavs last year, but that's why they'll keep him...or he'll go for the most money. Why would we pay another combo guard to come in? Especially IF we have smart and rondo still?)

You make some valid points but if this offseason taught us anything, it's that nothing is for certain.

No one knows for sure if Jefferson wants to stay in Charlotte, just like no one knows for sure if Jordan stays in LA, ditto for Aldridge and Gasol with Portland and Memphis.

I don't think a year ago, anyone thought Lebron would go back to Cleveland.

The landscape of the league can change very quickly and no one really knows for sure where anyone is going to land a year from now.

Also, I disagree (respectfully of course ;D) with your assessment of Rudy Gay and Monta Ellis.

I know alot of peope on this site don't like either guy, but if the Celts keep Rondo (which I hope they do) then someone like Ellis or Gay would be a good compliment to provide scoring.

In an ideal world, maybe next summer DA has the best of both worlds.

Maybe he finally gets lucky and lands a top 3 pick and goes into the offseason drafting one of the big guys in the draft (Okafor, Towns, whoever) and lands a big-time player like Gasol, Aldridge, Jefferson, Jordan and/or maybe a tier B free agent like Ellis or Gay.

It be nice if the 2015/16 roster looked something like this

PG-Rondo/Smart
SG-Avery Bradley or another shooting guard like Monta Ellis
SF-Rudy Gay/James Young
PF-Sullinger/Olynyk/(insert 2015 draft pick)
C-Gasol, Jordan OR Al Jefferson

But in my opinion, you can't rebuild JUST through the draft. You need a combination of veteran talent and talent through the draft.

I personally hate the idea of only building through the draft and waiting until 2035 to be a contender again.

As for Eric Bledsoe, I don't hate the idea of going after him but I am also not crazy about it either.

He's a decent player but he's injury prone and I don't think he's all that.