Author Topic: Who would you pick? Alexander or Harrell? (Undersized center)  (Read 20213 times)

Re: Who would you pick? Alexander or Harrell? (Undersized center)
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2014, 10:22:16 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Talent is more important than height.  If a 6'9" center is effective (and I don't know if these guys are), then I'd take him over a legit 7-footer who is a project with a small chance of being good.  I'm not going to pass on a good player just because he is undersized.

Has to be uncommon and exceptional talent.

Guys like Cowens, Russell and Wallace are not the norm but rare, you can add Alvin Adams and Wes Unseld to the 6'9" centers who were effective.   Most of the time height wins because nowadays the tall guys are almost as athletic as the shorter guys.   

Out of this article, only 2 of the ten are what you would call shorter centers.  Russell was 6-9.5 and Willis Reed was 6-9.   The rest are taller guys.

http://dimemag.com/2014/04/10-greatest-centers-nba-history/5/

Now it is Dime Magazine, so take it with a grain of salt.

Dan Issel might be one as well.   But these guys are rare and size and talent wins over talent in every sport save jockeying, maybe even there but it is in reverse, smaller is better.

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2014, 11:26:31 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Please no more undersized centers

Ditto. At this point, I'd rather have a 7-2 project than a 6-9 "center."

I'd rather have the next Dave Cowens than the next Fab Melo.

Do you think either of those two guys listed in the thread title is the next Cowens? Do you think Bass or Sully is the next Cowens? Is there any 6-9ish player in today's NBA who can be an elite center? Cowens was an anomaly, an outlier. And the NBA is trending back toward legit 7-footers (or nearly so) at center/PF葉he Lopez brothers, Hibbert, Nene, Anthony Davis, Marc Gasol, Motiejunas, Aldridge, Steven Adams, Mozgov, DeAndre Jordan, the Plumlee brothers, Embiid, Noel. I don't know of any 6-9ish players who'd be consistently effective guarding those guys.

Talent is more important than height.  If a 6'9" center is effective (and I don't know if these guys are), then I'd take him over a legit 7-footer who is a project with a small chance of being good.  I'm not going to pass on a good player just because he is undersized.

+1.
Keep in mind that even Joakim Noah, listed at 7 feet, only has an 8'10' standing reach and 7'1'' wingspan.
I really do think if Cliff can get a nice touch and better shot he has a chance at being Shawn Kemp'ish

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2014, 02:13:32 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Do you think either of those two guys listed in the thread title is the next Cowens? Do you think Bass or Sully is the next Cowens? Is there any 6-9ish player in today's NBA who can be an elite center? Cowens was an anomaly, an outlier. And the NBA is trending back toward legit 7-footers (or nearly so) at center/PF葉he Lopez brothers, Hibbert, Nene, Anthony Davis, Marc Gasol, Motiejunas, Aldridge, Steven Adams, Mozgov, DeAndre Jordan, the Plumlee brothers, Embiid, Noel. I don't know of any 6-9ish players who'd be consistently effective guarding those guys.

Not to split hairs because I agree the Cs need a center with legit size, especially with the current personnel and would prob take the gamble on WCS over either of them. However Howard was 6'9 with out shoes at pre draft and Horford was 6'8.75". Others include Favors 6'8.75", Ratliff 6'8.75", Okafor 6'8.75", Big AL 6'8.5".

good pt about listing guys like Big Al without shoes. But then you also state you rather choose WCS over harrell or alexander ??

WCS still has ways to go.  He is lost on the court at times and it will be worse in the nba.He has a narrow body frame and needs to add 15-20 pounds of weight so he doesn't get pushed around.

If he patches up these two issues, he could go as high as Chandler did approx 10 years ago

The point I was making is that players can be very effective big man without being 7' but the Cs need that size on their current roster. I am a big fan of the high value picks that so many undersized bigs become. Looking around the NBA their are alot of big men (three on the Cs sully ,Bass, and anthony) who are drafted later then their talent dictates because of their lack of ideal height. This is so prevalent that the ideal height seems to be dropping and more teams are playing smaller lineups. But one fact remains and that is that the best way to build a championship Defense is to have an anchor to build around. True elite level rim protectors are a major commodity in the NBA. This is why DA took a shot on Fab Melo and why with multiple picks I would like to see the Cs gamble again on another project 7' with defensive potential.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2014, 09:09:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Not to split hairs because I agree the Cs need a center with legit size, especially with the current personnel and would prob take the gamble on WCS over either of them. However Howard was 6'9 with out shoes at pre draft and Horford was 6'8.75". Others include Favors 6'8.75", Ratliff 6'8.75", Okafor 6'8.75", Big AL 6'8.5".

good pt about listing guys like Big Al without shoes. But then you also state you rather choose WCS over harrell or alexander ??

WCS still has ways to go.  He is lost on the court at times and it will be worse in the nba.He has a narrow body frame and needs to add 15-20 pounds of weight so he doesn't get pushed around.

If he patches up these two issues, he could go as high as Chandler did approx 10 years ago

The point I was making is that players can be very effective big man without being 7' but the Cs need that size on their current roster. I am a big fan of the high value picks that so many undersized bigs become. Looking around the NBA their are alot of big men (three on the Cs sully ,Bass, and anthony) who are drafted later then their talent dictates because of their lack of ideal height. This is so prevalent that the ideal height seems to be dropping and more teams are playing smaller lineups. But one fact remains and that is that the best way to build a championship Defense is to have an anchor to build around. True elite level rim protectors are a major commodity in the NBA. This is why DA took a shot on Fab Melo and why with multiple picks I would like to see the Cs gamble again on another project 7' with defensive potential.

I missed this reply and just stumbled upon it again.

I get what you mean that we could really use someone like WCS and his size/ defensive presence could really help out. But he has ways to go in terms of adding strength and executing plays on the court to be able to play in the nba. Also he has a very poor jump shot which won't be compatible with what BS is looking for in his bigs.

Imo the Celts preference when they draft a big next season (highly likely)

1. Towns  -  Could go #1.  Has the size, length and all the tools to be a franchise calibre guy
2. Okafor - needs to work on his defense.  But a very skilled offensive player
3. Alexander -   9'0 reach, 7'3 wingspan even though only 6'9 in shoes.  Wide body like Sully, but much more mobile and explosive.  Excellent shot blocker, rebounder, physical and also can shoot the three
4. Kaminsky - Excellent 3 pt shooting center that is a very good shot blocker. 

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2014, 10:49:28 PM »

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73
If we can't get Okafor or Towns, I'd pick this guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_qZL9LevA

A rim protector with nice shooting touch and IMO very mature for his age.

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2014, 10:57:41 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237

Agree......or I'd even settle for the next Ben Wallace....in a heartbeat....both 6'9"

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2014, 11:15:01 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we should see how the college season pans out for these guys.

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2014, 11:25:49 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

I get what you mean that we could really use someone like WCS and his size/ defensive presence could really help out. But he has ways to go in terms of adding strength and executing plays on the court to be able to play in the nba. Also he has a very poor jump shot which won't be compatible with what BS is looking for in his bigs.

1. Towns  -  Could go #1.  Has the size, length and all the tools to be a franchise calibre guy
3. Alexander -   9'0 reach, 7'3 wingspan even though only 6'9 in shoes.  Wide body like Sully, but much more mobile and explosive.  Excellent shot blocker, rebounder, physical and also can shoot the three

Got another one for ya, How about Kristaps Porzingis? Not entirely sure if he's a Center or a 7 foot SF but you could argue that his game compliments Sullinger's well. Capable 3 point shooter. Quality rim protector. DA however has a history of avoiding bringing in Euros with high picks or for big money. There's a good chance if we end up picking 5-9th he'd be there. Would we take a massive gamble on Kristpas Porzingis?

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2014, 11:41:30 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell

This is one of those DX videos where the prospect looks dominant in the first half but falls back down to earth hard when they get to the weaknesses section.

I always think of Sam Dalembert when I watch him albeit a weaker but better perimeter shooting Dalembert. Is that worth a late lottery pick? Given our need for size, maybe. But he should probably work with UT's strength coaches for a few years before coming out IMO.

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2014, 11:42:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Got another one for ya, How about Kristaps Porzingis? Not entirely sure if he's a Center or a 7 foot SF but you could argue that his game compliments Sullinger's well. Capable 3 point shooter. Quality rim protector. DA however has a history of avoiding bringing in Euros with high picks or for big money. There's a good chance if we end up picking 5-9th he'd be there. Would we take a massive gamble on Kristpas Porzingis?

He is very talented for his height but is going to take 2-3 years to build a strong enough body to bang with nba players. If even he can do this.

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2014, 12:02:37 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Has to be uncommon and exceptional talent.

Guys like Cowens, Russell and Wallace are not the norm but rare, you can add Alvin Adams and Wes Unseld to the 6'9" centers who were effective.   Most of the time height wins because nowadays the tall guys are almost as athletic as the shorter guys.   

Out of this article, only 2 of the ten are what you would call shorter centers.  Russell was 6-9.5 and Willis Reed was 6-9.   The rest are taller guys.

http://dimemag.com/2014/04/10-greatest-centers-nba-history/5/

Now it is Dime Magazine, so take it with a grain of salt.

Dan Issel might be one as well.   But these guys are rare and size and talent wins over talent in every sport save jockeying, maybe even there but it is in reverse, smaller is better.

Regarding Russell's height, I believe he was just over 6'9" barefoot which would normally have him listed at 6'11" in sneakers, but he insisted on being listed at 6'9".  He also had very long arms, so I don't think he would be considered undersized in today's game.  Here's a photo of him next to Ben Wallace.

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2014, 12:14:55 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

This is one of those DX videos where the prospect looks dominant in the first half but falls back down to earth hard when they get to the weaknesses section.

I always think of Sam Dalembert when I watch him albeit a weaker but better perimeter shooting Dalembert. Is that worth a late lottery pick? Given our need for size, maybe. But he should probably work with UT's strength coaches for a few years before coming out IMO.

I like this comment about Turner from Draft Express.
October 3, 2014
Myles Turner measured similarly this June as he did at the Nike Hoop Summit in April, now standing just a shade under 7-feet, with a gigantic 7-4 wingspan. He added 13 pounds in the eight months between October of last year and June.

I'm surprised he hasn't gotten more hype.  He could be a nice consolation prize after Towns and Okafor.

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2014, 12:49:45 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I like this comment about Turner from Draft Express.
October 3, 2014
Myles Turner measured similarly this June as he did at the Nike Hoop Summit in April, now standing just a shade under 7-feet, with a gigantic 7-4 wingspan. He added 13 pounds in the eight months between October of last year and June.

I'm surprised he hasn't gotten more hype.  He could be a nice consolation prize after Towns and Okafor.

not very athletic.  Even though he has a 7-4 wingspan, he has narrow shoulders like JJJ.

Not sure

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2014, 03:00:10 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell

He is very talented for his height but is going to take 2-3 years to build a strong enough body to bang with nba players. If even he can do this.

Ya part of me hopes he can develop into the next Kirilenko but he could also end up closer to the next Jan Vesley. Most early mocks I've seen have him being picked by Sac and that could actually be a great fit for him given that his skillset would fit well next to Demarcus Cousins.

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2014, 05:51:55 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I don't think Porzingis will ever have the agility to play the 3 on a regular basis like Kirilenko did, but I think he has a chance to be a very good 4 in this league.  Kid has a unique skill set, that is for sure.