Author Topic: Who would you pick? Alexander or Harrell? (Undersized center)  (Read 20214 times)

Re: Who would you pick? Alexander or Harrell? (Undersized center)
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 07:33:45 AM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I kept looking at Alexanders' arms and hands in that video ^

He definitely compensates the lack of height with his long arms. Btw Dwight Howard is 6'9" w/o shoes.

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 08:15:51 AM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Idk. Alexander doesn't seem to be as athletic as he gets credit for.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 08:54:45 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
His father dunking at 40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9Z8RB0bhMc

Cliff at 16 breaking the backboard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHrsPZ2DVVs

All in all Id say Cliff has good genes in him. Kinda like Nick Johnson type genetics. He kinda reminds me of Kemp but needs a mmmmuch better touch around the hoop and out

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 08:56:31 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The issue with guys like WCS and Klimenko is their weak lower body. The waist/frame is narrow, they will go through hell to strengthen up.  If they ever will (remember jjj horrors). Then you have lack of skill, feel of game for someone like WCS to start out as a pf in the nba.

Harrell and Alexander have the size already at their young age and just need to add 10 more pounds , lower body fat etc. Like someone said, both having 9'0 reach is key for them to be able to play some center in the nba (like horace grant)

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 09:03:43 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Definetly fascinated by Harrell's intensity. I like that look in his eye, he was a key contributor on a national championship team and he is a + athlete, not a freak mind you, but strong, fast and long enough to keep up with the top 4's in the league.

He's not young but that could be a good thing being that he was clearly a player that needed polish. I'm sure the reps Pitino put him through every day made him a far better player and sometimes its best not to try to learn how to play the game at the highest level I.e Fab Melo. I will be very excited if we can snag him in the mid first round.

+1. Harrell reminds me of kg in terms of playing with similar type of intensity on the court.  He will sacrifice his body to save balls. Just take a beating to get the job done. But is durable and rarely injured.

If he can ever develop a consistent 15-17 ft jump shot, he is going to be a very good player in the nba. Maybe not the star but the guy that will do alot of the dirty work and be good for 14-15 points a game

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 12:29:21 PM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
I would prefer Harrell because of his intensity, and I think he has some potential to become an offensive weapon some time.

He would fit great next to Kelly Olynyk.

We could have a great young core of guys, especially if we trade rondo for some assets aswell.

PG- Smart
SG- Bradley
SF- ?
PF- Olynyk
C - Harrell
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 10:21:55 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I think Cliff will end up being a 4 in the NBA. In that case I think he has the potential to be a dominant power forward. He needs to get a better stroke and better touch all around.

He does remind me of Shawn Kemp

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2014, 10:37:50 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
Please no more undersized centers

Ditto. At this point, I'd rather have a 7-2 project than a 6-9 "center."
isnt it more predictive to look at their standing reach than their height? after all, most centers i have seen prefer to rebound with their hands and not their heads.

Thanks for the sarcasm (great way to win fans, by the way).

As to your point, I don't know of many 6-9 players whose reach is longer than that of 7-2 guys. Certainly not Sully or Bass.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2014, 11:04:13 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323

I'd rather have the next Dave Cowens than the next Fab Melo.

Do you think either of those two guys listed in the thread title is the next Cowens? Do you think Bass or Sully is the next Cowens? Is there any 6-9ish player in today's NBA who can be an elite center? Cowens was an anomaly, an outlier. And the NBA is trending back toward legit 7-footers (or nearly so) at center/PF—the Lopez brothers, Hibbert, Nene, Anthony Davis, Marc Gasol, Motiejunas, Aldridge, Steven Adams, Mozgov, DeAndre Jordan, the Plumlee brothers, Embiid, Noel. I don't know of any 6-9ish players who'd be consistently effective guarding those guys.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2014, 11:33:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Do you think either of those two guys listed in the thread title is the next Cowens? Do you think Bass or Sully is the next Cowens? Is there any 6-9ish player in today's NBA who can be an elite center? Cowens was an anomaly, an outlier. And the NBA is trending back toward legit 7-footers (or nearly so) at center/PF—the Lopez brothers, Hibbert, Nene, Anthony Davis, Marc Gasol, Motiejunas, Aldridge, Steven Adams, Mozgov, DeAndre Jordan, the Plumlee brothers, Embiid, Noel. I don't know of any 6-9ish players who'd be consistently effective guarding those guys.

it's possible but yeah not the norm.  Sam Perkins i believe was only 6'9 and was a decent center. Horace Grant also about 6'9-6'10. Chris Bosh plays some center now (smaller lineup).  Dennis Rodman took on Shaq !

Guys like Harrell and Alexander are 6'9 but that doesnt mean they can't play the center position. If they had long necks and were 6'10, would that make a real difference?  Wingspan/reach/weight and jumping capability can makeup for less than ideal center height.  Things these guys all have

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 12:51:12 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I'm high on both of these guys, but Alexander definitely has the higher ceiling.  Like some of have mentioned, Alexander has a standing reach that may not completely negate his lack of height, but it sure helps.  That kid is going to be a quality starting center in this league, mark my words.

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 07:40:18 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Not to split hairs because I agree the Cs need a center with legit size, especially with the current personnel and would prob take the gamble on WCS over either of them. However Howard was 6'9 with out shoes at pre draft and Horford was 6'8.75". Others include Favors 6'8.75", Ratliff 6'8.75", Okafor 6'8.75", Big AL 6'8.5".

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2014, 08:00:28 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Not to split hairs because I agree the Cs need a center with legit size, especially with the current personnel and would prob take the gamble on WCS over either of them. However Howard was 6'9 with out shoes at pre draft and Horford was 6'8.75". Others include Favors 6'8.75", Ratliff 6'8.75", Okafor 6'8.75", Big AL 6'8.5".

good pt about listing guys like Big Al without shoes. But then you also state you rather choose WCS over harrell or alexander ??

WCS still has ways to go.  He is lost on the court at times and it will be worse in the nba.He has a narrow body frame and needs to add 15-20 pounds of weight so he doesn't get pushed around.

If he patches up these two issues, he could go as high as Chandler did approx 10 years ago
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 08:20:08 AM by triboy16f »

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2014, 09:13:32 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Talent is more important than height.  If a 6'9" center is effective (and I don't know if these guys are), then I'd take him over a legit 7-footer who is a project with a small chance of being good.  I'm not going to pass on a good player just because he is undersized.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2014, 09:39:52 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Talent is more important than height.  If a 6'9" center is effective (and I don't know if these guys are), then I'd take him over a legit 7-footer who is a project with a small chance of being good.  I'm not going to pass on a good player just because he is undersized.

+1.