Poll

What do you think of James Young as the 17th pick? What does he bring to the Celtics?

He has length and he can shoot, which is hard to teach. He's young so let's hope he can learn to play defense.
19 (41.3%)
He was the 17th pick, you can't expect too much. Just root for him and hope he pans out.
12 (26.1%)
He's going to be a very solid NBA player, he's young and the Celtics will be able to fix his leaks early because of his age
6 (13%)
He's probably going to be an 8th or 9th man in the NBA for his career who can hit the open three. ie Eddie House or James Jones on the Heat.
8 (17.4%)
Danny picked him to try and develop a James Posey/Michael Pietrus 3 point+defense guy. He just needs a few years to learn some defense.
1 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: What exactly does James Young bring to the Celtics?  (Read 15650 times)

Re: What exactly does James Young bring to the Celtics?
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2015, 10:42:58 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
You didn't have the option of "Nothing" which is what I would have selected.

+1

« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2015, 11:12:04 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
He's a solid player but I would temper my expectations of him to more of a role player
As he doesn't have the athleticism or creative ball handling to be a great offensive force
And clearly gets lost on defence (which is hard to teach)

« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2015, 11:20:26 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Someone may already have said this (I don't want to read the whole thread), but ...

a warm practice body?  ;D

But being serious now, I certainly hope he becomes the shooter a lot of people think he can and will be. If he doesn't start hitting some shots when he gets his (rare) opportunities, he may not be long for Boston.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2015, 11:21:45 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
You didn't have the option of "Nothing" which is what I would have selected.

+1

What happened to "he's going to be the next Alex English"?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2015, 11:57:14 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I mean you can't expect too much from a 17th pick, but I'm trying to find positive aspects in this kids game.
So far I've come to the conclusion that he has:

Positives:

*Has good size for a wing. has the tools to be a good defender who can shoot over smaller wings.
*can shoot the three when wide open. Likely a lethal three point shooter when open.
*He's very young. Third youngest in draft behind Vonleh and Gordon- so there's time to spend on him and develop the pieces he's missing.
*Has good offensive instincts. Likes to attack the ring after faking the three point shot. Not polished enough to finish regularly yet but those instincts are good for a stretch wing.

Other than that I can't find anything to get excited about.

Glaring weaknesses

*horrid defender. I mean this kid is a worse defender than the rest of the top 20 picks. Quite possibly the worst defender in the first round. Jabari Parker's defense looks solid compared to James Young's defense. I don't just mean 1v1 defense, I mean all over the court in help situations and awareness. He's completely lost.

*does not go right. Defenders basically have to cut off his left hand drive and he'll be stuck.

* No dribble game. Has one move where he goes left off the dribble, but he's so slow that his defenders seem to recover and force him into a bad shot.

Ainge is saying he's definitely a small forward, but he was judged against shooting guards in all the scouting reports. Seems like he's too weak to play small forward.

When we picked him I thought he might be a James Posey or Michael Pietrus potential type guy. The more I watch of him, I'm worried he might be a poor man's James Jones who hits open threes and is a liability on defense.
What was Danny thinking with this pick? I am finding it hard to justify that he was the best player available. His age?
James Young does seem to recognize his weaknesses which is a good sign but still...
Is anyone else worried that James Young will be an enormous flop of a pick?
Do we just cross our fingers and hope he 'gets it' after 2-3 seasons?
What is his ceiling?

Given you wrote this a year ago, it is really spot on - initially I thought you wrote this just now.

Also I really like the idea of revisiting old threads and re-examine what we thought at the time, reflexivity is really good for a forum.

Tommy point ofc.

« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2015, 11:58:23 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Youth

« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2015, 11:50:39 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I just can't think of any players in the past who have been in the mold of James Young, and who have actually been good (let alone great) NBA players.  Sure he can probably develop into a solid rotation player one day, but if that is his ceiling then why on earth do we consider i'm so untouchable?  Unless the guy has future All-Star (or near All-Star) potential, then what's the big deal?

From that draft I would rather have had KJ Mcdaniels or Rodney Hood.  But the pick was made based on upside I guess.  Can't turn back the clock now.  The real guy I wanted was Nurkic but he was taken at 16.  I really felt Nurkic could be a true 5 and had toughness for a euro big.

« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2015, 11:53:44 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Ideally Rihanna.